Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lowest Temp?

Posted

Much talk down here of official minima last night around -18 just outside Manchester and at Benson, Oxfordshire. Not sure if these were exceeded somewhere in Scotland, though - will try and find out.

Posted

No, the lowest UK temperature for January 7th is -22.6C in 1982 (Braemar). That looks safe tonight.

The lowest UK temperature is -27.2C which has been reached three times:

11th February 1895 Braemar

10th January 1982 Braemar

30th December 1995 Altnaharra

http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/britwxextremes/lowtempsyear.php

As you say, the lowest English temperature is -26.1C at Newport, Shropshire (January 10th, 1982). I remember that night and seeing -25C on my local thermometer.

Posted

Just been for a long walk this afternoon along the Mersey in Manchester. Pulled my daughter along behind on a makeshift sledge - beautiful sunshine, actually worked up a sweat! It was well below freezing.

Its now -12c here in South Manchester - maybe some cloud cover later otherwise I would expect last nights record low to be beaten.

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

The lowest UK temperature is -27.2C which has been reached three times:

11th February 1895 Braemar

10th January 1982 Braemar

30th December 1995 Altnaharra

http://www.torro.org...owtempsyear.php

As you say, the lowest English temperature is -26.1C at Newport, Shropshire (January 10th, 1982). I remember that night and seeing -25C on my local thermometer.

Funny how -27.2C seems to be the floor temp for cold in UK :wallbash:.

Achieved 3 times in 3 different months and Years apart.

I could just see the headlines in the Media if that record was smashed during this cold spell.

Posted

Last Night here was -5.1C which is very cold for our location... coldest of Winter 09/10 so far.

May beat it Tonight as it's already -4.0C.

Posted

XCWeather reporting -29°C for Benbecula tonight. does that break any records?

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Benbecula station has been misreporting for some weeks.

That Benson figure troubles me a little. I was watching it last night and at one point it rose about 6C in half an hour, then some time later went the other way. Anyone know if it was verified?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Think woodford (Cheshire) got the lowest at -17.6c , but maybe somewhere beat it...tonight will certainly be lower somewhere

Posted

Benbecula station has been misreporting for some weeks.

That Benson figure troubles me a little. I was watching it last night and at one point it rose about 6C in half an hour, then some time later went the other way. Anyone know if it was verified?

yeah i know mate :good: if i still worked for the RAF i could have got someone to go take a look at it.

not sure if Benson has been verified, but lots of mentions on TV and Met O data shows a drop from -9.9 to -17.1 in a few hours

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/benson_latest_weather_graphs.html

just been reading this >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8446523.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Altnaharra leading the way tonight with -16.6c @ 9.50hrs :D

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Could somebody give us a list of the January date records for the rest of the month please??

Also, Altnaharra is currently -17C in Scotland, though wind is forecast to increase during the night.

Manchester at -12C again, and shap at -14C, could we have the record low for there again please??

yeah i know mate :lol: if i still worked for the RAF i could have got someone to go take a look at it.

not sure if Benson has been verified, but lots of mentions on TV and Met O data shows a drop from -9.9 to -17.1 in a few hours

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/benson_latest_weather_graphs.html

just been reading this >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8446523.stm

Looking at the graphs, the temperature was also -16.7 three hours before the -9.9

The explanation lies with the wind - Benson lies to the northwest of higher ground which the katabatic winds drain from angles between south and east. The lower temperatures were accompanied by southerly and easterly breezes, the -9.9 was had a gentle northerly flow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Could somebody give us a list of the January date records for the rest of the month please??

Also, Altnaharra is currently -17C in Scotland, though wind is forecast to increase during the night.

Manchester at -12C again, and shap at -14C, could we have the record low for there again please??

I think these are mainly accurate..

7th -22.6 Braemar (Aberdeenshire) 1982

8th -26.8 Grantown-on-Spey (Highland) 1982

9th -25.9 Grantown-on-Spey (Highland) 1982

10th -27.2 Braemar (Aberdeenshire) 1982

11th -26.6 Bowhill (Borders) 1982

12th -21.8 West Linton (Borders) 1982

13th -24.6 Carnwath (Lanark) 1979

14th -23.5 Lagganlia (Highland) 1979

15th -20.6 Dalwhinnie (Highland) 1955

16th -22.2 Kelso (Borders) 1881

17th -26.7 Kelso (Borders) 1881

18th -24.4 Kelso (Borders) 1881

19th -18.9 Elmstone (Kent) 1966

20th -23.6 Grantown-on-Spey (Highland) 1984

21st -23.3 Rhayader (Powys) 1940

22nd -21.1 Rhayader (Powys) 1940

23rd -20.6 Stanstead Abbotts (Herts) 1963

24th -20.0 Lauder (Borders) 1881

25th -21.7 Grantown-on-Spey (Highland) 1958

26th -21.1 Haydon Bridge (Northumberland) 1881

27th -23.4 Lagganlia (Highland) 1985

28th -23.3 Balmoral and Logie Coldstone (both Aberdeenshire) 1910

29th -20.6 Writtle (Essex) 1947

30th -21.3 Elmstone (Kent) 1947

31st -21.4 Kingussie (Highland) 1895

Posted

Looking at the graphs, the temperature was also -16.7 three hours before the -9.9

The explanation lies with the wind - Benson lies to the northwest of higher ground which the katabatic winds drain from angles between south and east. The lower temperatures were accompanied by southerly and easterly breezes, the -9.9 was had a gentle northerly flow.

thanks for that. am always learning on NW :drinks:

Posted

Looks like records are safe tonight, though still very cold west of the Pennines, We have -18C now at Atnaharra and -15C in Manchester.

Posted

Atnaharra now -22.3! cold.gif

Does anybody know when Altnaharra got its weather station? It doesn't really feature on any records until 1995, up until then Braemar and to a lesser extent Grantown-on-Spey seem to have dominated the cold contests. It deosn't appear to stay cold there in the day like Braemar does either, maybe because it isn't surrounded by hills in the same way? It will be interested to see at what it maxes out at today.