Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

According to the forcasts i have heard for this area there is no snow on the horizon at all just staying cold, i find that very hard to believe and feel this local forcasters on radio mainly just haven`t a clue!

Trying to drive on this stuff is an absolute nightmare as you folk will know who have cars/vans.

Whats the outlook for friday and the weekend for here, are we in for more snow ?

Also, the comments made about heating bills, yes i agree 100%, its gonna be a heavy winter quarter bill is this next one..dreading it but refuse to go cold!

Dont get me wrong, i love seeing it snow, just getting bored now with it just being bloody cold and no more snow events happening for here. Wasn`t the wind supposed to veer to the east and get stronger and pull the snow in across most of the east and midlands, is that what is delaying more snow arriving?

Edited by Frank

Posted

According to the forcasts i have heard for thsi area there is no snow on the horizon at all just staying cold, i find that very hard to believe and feel this local forcasters on radio mainly just haven`t a clue!

Trying to drive on this stuff is an absolute nightmare as you folk will know who have cars/vans.

Whats the outlook for friday and the weekend for here, are we in for more snow ?

Also, the comments made about heating bills, yes i agree 100%, its gonna be a heavy winter quarter bill is this next one..dreading it but refuse to go cold!

If the forecast stays the same, I think we're in the firing line for some snow on Sunday. Few days away yet though.

And I know what you mean about the driving. Only been driving for 2 years, and having a car with some decent amount of torque on my front wheels its quite difficult to control at times. Tried to turn right at the Sixfields roundabout earlier but ended up going straight over as my car wouldn't turn on the ice :/

Posted

Leicester moaning about no snow.

Stop going on about it all please

Erm, well this is the Midlands Cold Spell Discussion. Snow or a lack of it in Leicester is a prime example of what this thread is for!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Leicester moaning about no snow.

Whilst I was sitting here the other day with nowt, you lots had it pouring out and I kept my cool (just)

Notts aren't much better, it's getting rather annoying from you. I can take some moaning about lack of/no snow, but it was widely aknowledged on here that Shropshire was the unfortunate snowless county with everyone wishing us some to complete the Midlands off. I got a dusty, powdery 1.5in from it

Stop going on about it all please, enjoy the cold and snow over the weekend

All we have is 2 inches, you have 1.5? Hardly much less :whistling:

Posted

According to the forcasts i have heard for this area there is no snow on the horizon at all just staying cold, i find that very hard to believe and feel this local forcasters on radio mainly just haven`t a clue!

Dont get me wrong, i love seeing it snow, just getting bored now with it just being bloody cold and no more snow events happening for here. Wasn`t the wind supposed to veer to the east and get stronger and pull the snow in across most of the east and midlands, is that what is delaying more snow arriving?

Nothing has changed since yesterday. We are still likely to see some snow showers on Sunday feeding in from East Anglia, possibly becoming prolonged and heavy later in the day. Impossible to put detail on at this stage but more of the white stuff is likely before the weekend is out.

Northants Weather are predicting several cm to accumulate by Monday. (on top of what we already have)

Posted

If the forecast stays the same, I think we're in the firing line for some snow on Sunday. Few days away yet though.

And I know what you mean about the driving. Only been driving for 2 years, and having a car with some decent amount of torque on my front wheels its quite difficult to control at times. Tried to turn right at the Sixfields roundabout earlier but ended up going straight over as my car wouldn't turn on the ice :/

Hi Macey, i have been driving for approx 6 years now, but with these weather conditions, even with some of the newer cars, it doesn`t get any easier. Bloomin dangerous!

Let`s hope we get this snow then :whistling:

Yeah that sixfields roundabout is a busy one two, not the best place for somat to go wrong thats for sure!

Where is this snow coming from?

Edited by Frank

Posted

Everything looks setup on all the Models for the perfect Snow event for the Midlands and the BBC has to rubbish it. I think they are a total waste of space even the Met Office has warnings out for Sunday/Monday.

Posted

Nothing has changed since yesterday. We are still likely to see some snow showers on Sunday feeding in from East Anglia, possibly becoming prolonged and heavy later in the day. Impossible to put detail on at this stage but more of the white stuff is likely before the weekend is out.

Northants Weather are predicting several cm to accumulate by Monday. (on top of what we already have)

Hi NorthantsSnow, cheers for your reply and fingers crossed then :whistling:

Posted

Birmingham got more that how much? 8-10"? Don't think so! laugh.gif The north part of Birmingham had snowfalls of between 3-4". Further south and west of the city, there were people reporting 5-6" snowfalls. That is understandable considering the snow persisted to the south-west of Birmingham while it temporarily ceased sometime during the afternoon for here.

I think people are making very inaccurate assumptions as to what other regions of the Midlands, and other parts of the country for that matter, got in terms of snowfall. Birmingham got some good snowfall, but nothing notable. It is great to walk out in though, with alot of snow on the pavements and on minor routes. The only notable feature of this cold spell for here is probably the persistent cold temperatures over the last few weeks. To get -10C in Birmingham takes something, namely lying snow, clear skies and minimal wind.

Anyway, approaching -5C here but still think a tonight's minima will be around -6C or -7C.

Sorry, what I meant was Birmingham got more than me, not more than the others

Posted

Everything looks setup on all the Models for the perfect Snow event for the Midlands and the BBC has to rubbish it. I think they are a total waste of space even the Met Office has warnings out for Sunday/Monday.

Hi snowmadchrisuk, yeah i have seen the metoffice warnings, just wondered what you people thought to the actual probability of it happening, thanks for your reply :), fingers crossed, sounds good to me :good:

Edited by Frank

Posted

Hi Macey, i have been driving for approx 6 years now, but with these weather conditions, even with some of the newer cars, it doesn`t get any easier. Bloomin dangerous!

Let`s hope we get this snow then :good:

Yeah that sixfields roundabout is a busy one two, not the best place for somat to go wrong thats for sure!

Where is this snow coming from?

I'm surprised that area isn't clear. The Sainsburys car park is so bad its unreal, snow/ice everywhere!

I've heard it's coming from Poland. Not sure if it's something organised, but it's more likely moisture just being picked up on the easterlies, so only showers (hopefully not!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

To be fair when i last looked they did show a fair amount of Snow on sunday for us Midlanders, Wales and the South.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

8pm forecast with good old Rob McElwee now...

Posted

I'm surprised that area isn't clear. The Sainsburys car park is so bad its unreal, snow/ice everywhere!

I've heard it's coming from Poland. Not sure if it's something organised, but it's more likely moisture just being picked up on the easterlies, so only showers (hopefully not!).

Dont mind a few heavy (ish) showers or longer spells of snow,its still snow ;)

A lot of roads that should have been gritted haven`t been or it hasn`t worked .. very bad in places and we got of pretty lightly here in Northants, i feel sorry for other areas that really got a pounding!

Its all great until you got to travel anywhere and then its a case of :good::diablo::):good::)

Still that wont put me off snow though!!

Just want some more :blush: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Llangollen, Welshpool got 8in-10in. Birmingham got more, Worcester got a bucket load.

And a breakdown never comes off for me

I wasn't having a pop, it's just repetative and dull

I did say 'just' aswell

Could I just enqire as to your age ?

Posted

Dont mind a few heavy (ish) showers or longer spells of snow,its still snow ;)

A lot of roads that should have been gritted haven`t been or it hasn`t worked .. very bad in places and we got of pretty lightly here in Northants, i feel sorry for other areas that really got a pounding!

Its all great until you got to travel anywhere and then its a case of :good::diablo::):good::)

Still that wont put me off snow though!!

Just want some more :blush: :lol:

I'm hoping it does snow, because it looks amazing...but then again I won't be looking forward to driving to work. I go through the Bramptons so it's usually quite bad there as they never grit on them roads.

Posted

I'm hoping it does snow, because it looks amazing...but then again I won't be looking forward to driving to work. I go through the Bramptons so it's usually quite bad there as they never grit on them roads.

Yep i know what you mean, i am fortunate in that respect, i work at home self employed, just have to go out and post work out. Can`t really complain in that respect, because if ever it did get real bad i can walk, but others out their aint so lucky!, i really sympathise with them people

Edited by Frank

Posted

Yep i know what you mean, i am fortunate in that respect, i work at home self employed, just have to go out and post work out. Can`t really complain in that respect, because if ever it did get real bad i can walk, but others out their aint so lucky!, i really sympathise with them people

Sounds Interesting Frank , what sort of work do you do ??

Posted

Helloooooo Everybody!!!!!

Good to see some more Notts people on here!!! I'm in Long Eaton and we didn't get too much snow, but enough to put me off driving to work for the rest of the week lol!!!!! so an hour and a half each morning on the bus it is!!!!!!

Earlier in the week there was talk of a big event for Friday night, is this what is now predicted for Sunday/Monday? Are we in for a good dumping, or a light flurie??!!!!!!!

pardon.gif

Posted

Sounds Interesting Frank , what sort of work do you do ??

I do 8mm/vhs video/vhsc video tape conversions to dvd mainly.Also use a popular online auction site as a business seller, been doing it since september last year and although started off quiet, is going the right way now, only do it part time as i am a lone parent with two teenage kids to raise and a home to run too so its enough to keep me busy and keep me off the dss

Edited by Frank

Posted

21, UNI student

Sorry if I sound childish, a top up'll make me better

What we're you getting at?

12 or 21? sorry just messing...

whistling.gif

Posted

Helloooooo Everybody!!!!!

Good to see some more Notts people on here!!! I'm in Long Eaton and we didn't get too much snow, but enough to put me off driving to work for the rest of the week lol!!!!! so an hour and a half each morning on the bus it is!!!!!!

Earlier in the week there was talk of a big event for Friday night, is this what is now predicted for Sunday/Monday? Are we in for a good dumping, or a light flurie??!!!!!!!

pardon.gif

I'm from Ilkeston, Tues was bad, but apart from that it's been ok!

If you can't trust yourself to drive around with 1 inch on the fields next to the road, please warn us in this topic before you next take to the wheel! :D

We should do reasonably well out of the weekend :)

Probably about the same as earlier this week.