Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

how come metcheck and TWO do not show any snow for our region on the weekend?...and net weather show it but very light?...is this a non event?pardon.gif

Posted

how come metcheck and TWO do not show any snow for our region on the weekend?...and net weather show it but very light?...is this a non event?pardon.gif

Metcheck's is still based on GFS 06Z, and apparently GFS is terrible at predicting ppn several days out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Advice to those who use forecasts which are based on GFS runs such as TWO and Metcheck - don't. Watch BBC forecasts or look at the Met Office ones.

Posted

I'm from Ilkeston, Tues was bad, but apart from that it's been ok!

If you can't trust yourself to drive around with 1 inch on the fields next to the road, please warn us in this topic before you next take to the wheel! laugh.gif

We should do reasonably well out of the weekend smile.gif

Probably about the same as earlier this week.

Lol!!!! I trust me, I just don't really trust others on the roads!!!!!! I am a very good driver believe me, besides, at least I get to watch the countryside in a blanket of snow from the sheer comfort of the bus lol!!!!laugh.gif

I heard ilkeston had a bit, and I think it was much the same down here, Tuesday nights downpour was fab, but now it is just like compact ice everywhere!!!!!

It would be great if we get a decent amount over the weekend, all I want to do is run about with the dog in the fields in the snow lol!!!!!biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, GFS has got it totally wrong for tonight, as have all the models for my area, as I'm forecasting a very sharp localized rise in temperature to about 50C..................., as I'm about to have a scalding hot bath

Posted

Advice to those who use forecasts which are based on GFS runs such as TWO and Metcheck - don't. Watch BBC forecasts or look at the Met Office ones.

Thanks for the advise :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

21, UNI student

Sorry if I sound childish, a top up'll make me better

What we're you getting at?

Nothing meant by it, your posts just reminded me of my daughter....21 and at UNI !!

Bolton to be precise and shes had more snow than all of us!

You are not alone in your snowless predicament, however mother nature does as she likes and she can be a cruel bit**!!!!

What are you studying?

Posted

Sorry everyone,

on a bit of a downer today with the hard work taking its toll. I think secretly we all like to say we're hard up on snow and the worst part in the Midlands for snow.

The constant snow barrier was getting a tad tedious for someone with a short temper, I'll be fine though

-8c here, I love it

Take Care, enjoy thr weather

Posted

Anyone else just watch the weather on BBC News 24? Strong easterly winds on Saturday, blowing in some snow well inland, and light and persistent snow right across the Midlands on Sunday...that's what it looks like anyway.

Posted

Nothing meant by it, your posts just reminded me of my daughter....21 and at UNI !!

You are not alone in your snowless predicament, however mother nature does as she likes and she can be a cruel bit**!!!!

What are you studying?

I'm studying an accounts/maths based course, like i say, very tedious and tricky

Posted

I'm studying an accounts/maths based course, like i say, very tedious and tricky

Sounds like my housemate, he does Financial Accounting and Management! :good:

Posted

Tell me about it, upto 25cm in the town and 30+ on the moors wallbash.gif nephew sent me a pic ,it was unreal .

Posted

Lol!!!! I trust me, I just don't really trust others on the roads!!!!!! I am a very good driver believe me, besides, at least I get to watch the countryside in a blanket of snow from the sheer comfort of the bus lol!!!!laugh.gif

I heard ilkeston had a bit, and I think it was much the same down here, Tuesday nights downpour was fab, but now it is just like compact ice everywhere!!!!!

It would be great if we get a decent amount over the weekend, all I want to do is run about with the dog in the fields in the snow lol!!!!!biggrin.gif

Yeah there are crazy people on the roads around here. Plenty of white van men up your behind! Er...

You sound more excited than the dog will be! He won't be able to keep up with you! :good:

Edited by Strider

Posted

Anyone else just watch the weather on BBC News 24? Strong easterly winds on Saturday, blowing in some snow well inland, and light and persistent snow right across the Midlands on Sunday...that's what it looks like anyway.

No i didn`t but :good:

Posted

Dont mind a few heavy (ish) showers or longer spells of snow,its still snow ;)

A lot of roads that should have been gritted haven`t been or it hasn`t worked .. very bad in places and we got of pretty lightly here in Northants, i feel sorry for other areas that really got a pounding!

Its all great until you got to travel anywhere and then its a case of :rofl::good::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Still that wont put me off snow though!!

Just want some more :rofl: :lol:

Same here Frank. It would be nice to have a noteworthy snow event before the spell ends. 5cm is a nice amount but it's not particularly substantial. Even the generally dire winter of 2006/07 provided a snow event in excess of 7cm, albeit in February. Last year we were fortunate enough to reach the dizzy heights of 7 inches+. For this winter to be really cemented in my memory so soon after the fun and games of last year it's going to have to do a lot better than 2 inches!

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Sorry everyone,

on a bit of a downer today with the hard work taking its toll. I think secretly we all like to say we're hard up on snow and the worst part in the Midlands for snow.

The constant snow barrier was getting a tad tedious for someone with a short temper, I'll be fine though

-8c here, I love it

Take Care, enjoy thr weather

snow for tomorrow morning

Posted

Same here Frank. It would be nice to have a noteworthy snow event before the spell ends. 5cm is a nice amount but it's not particularly substantial. Even the generally dire winter of 2006/07 provided a snow event in excess of 7cm, albeit in February. Last year we were fortunate enough to reach the dizzy heights of 7 inches+. For this winter to be really cemented in my memory so soon after the fun and games of last year it's going to have to do a lot better than 2 inches!

Yep i agree with you 100%, right i got stuff to do, be back later :wallbash:

Edited by Frank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Your posts reminded me of the snappy nature of someone that feels everything in life is on a knife edge, precisely why you made me think of my Gemma!blush.gif

That`s not another sideswipe, just a comment...unknw.gif

Slow down and relax, life comes to all who wait...drinks.gif

I`m sure everyone understood your apology.yahoo.gif

And when you graduate... can you do my books for me??crazy.gif

Anywhoo`s will it snow in Melton????ph34r.gif

Posted

Yeah there are crazy people on the roads around here. Plenty of white van men up your behind! Er...

You sound more excited than the dog will be! He won't be able to keep up with you! laugh.gif

Lol!!! Pooh Bear (the dog) loves the snow, although hates the rain and cold!!! she was out in it earlier with my other half so we've got some pics of her on the fields, soooooo sweet!!!!!!!

But yes, adverse weather - I love it!! lol!! give me a good snowstorm, thunderstorm or heat wave and I am a happy bunny!!!!!!!yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Iv just watched rob live on bbc24 and what a forecast , plenty of snow showers potential for fri/fri night into sat , i expect there to be a few supprises also with longer spells of snow which is what it showed, then sunday covered in snow and he said there will be ''quite a few more centermeters''

MAGIC

Iv had a look at the radar and there is a massive clump of heavy snow around york at min , is that the cluster thats forecast to come in land later does anyone have any thoughts ?????

Edited by shaun wilmer

Posted

-3 here in North West Leicestershire at the moment, looking forward to some more significant snow this weekend, fingers crossed!