Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Looks like about 2cm overnight, maybe an inch at a pinch!

I thought we were going to get a bit more last night but seems to have gone South instead. Forecast says more for today (2 inches or so), however, NW radar doesn't look to promising at the mo.

Current temp: -1.2°C with a DP of -3.2°C.

Posted

Looks like about 2cm overnight, maybe an inch at a pinch!

I thought we were going to get a bit more last night but seems to have gone South instead. Forecast says more for today (2 inches or so), however, NW radar doesn't look to promising at the mo.

Current temp: -1.2°C with a DP of -3.2°C.

No but this does:

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=scan&sat=ir&type=loop

Several times this morning, I've looked out of the window thinking it was starting to snow when it was the wind blowing the snow out of the trees. A sign that the wind is starting to pick up!!

gobby

Posted

We've managed to almost double our snow depth overnight with a stream of showers in the early hours. Current depth stands at 7cm now, making it the best snowfall since January 2004. Rather cold when the skies cleared earlier with a min temp of -3.1C. Currently 0.3C with a dewpoint of -2.7C.

It looks quiet for a few hours now. Hopefully temperatures wont rise too much when that easterly kicks in.

Posted

Morning all, gained a few cms of snow last night. The showers in the North Sea look interesting and will hopefully hit us later, does anyone have a timescale on this? I reckoned about 12pm for Doncaster. Sun breaking through here but still -5.8c with a dewpoint of -8.1c.

Edited by jackst01

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

No but this does:

http://www.sat24.com...at=ir&type=loop

Several times this morning, I've looked out of the window thinking it was starting to snow when it was the wind blowing the snow out of the trees. A sign that the wind is starting to pick up!!

gobby

Yep, on the zoom-out there is definately a clump of showers to the NNE heading our way. I have now been out and checked last night's snow and it was 3cm deep, possibly deeper in places such as the Westwood. Not much grass showing now.

Bad news about the wind getting up but you are right: there has been small-scale drifting taking place this morning: this can only get worse.

Temp has been rising steeply this morning and is now -0.4°C.

Posted

Morning all, gained a few cms of snow last night. The showers in the North Sea look interesting and will hopefully hit us later, does anyone have a timescale on this? I reckoned about 12pm for Doncaster. Sun breaking through here but still -5.8c with a dewpoint of -8.1c.

Missed out on anything heavy last night but got about another 1 cm

Very dry snow and easy to get of the car and no frost underneath

Got in to work in Leeds at 8.50am and it still showed -6 on the car..............

Posted

Morning all,

Low of -3.4 @ 3:43am, with the temperature risen a fair bit too +2.3ºc dew point is -1.8ºc.

They will probably be a slight thaw before the persistent spells of snow comes in soon. If you like the snow, look at the latest meto radar :drinks: were in for a pasting.

Lewis

Posted

looking like were in the firing line for these showers.. should hit the coast in an hour or so then they should pass somewhere inbetween leeds and grimsby just after lunch.. could be a. interesting comute home for some..

Posted

Morning all,

Low of -3.4 @ 3:43am, with the temperature risen a fair bit too +2.3ºc dew point is -1.8ºc.

They will probably be a slight thaw before the persistent spells of snow comes in soon. If you like the snow, look at the latest meto radar :drinks: were in for a pasting.

Lewis

Morning mate. where can i find the current temp for my area,as i normally use weatheronline but thats wrong as it's taken from humberside airport which is usually slightly higher.

Posted

Corr Blimey!! Altnaharra -22C -7F

Edited by gobbyash

Posted

looking like were in the firing line for these showers.. should hit the coast in an hour or so then they should pass somewhere inbetween leeds and grimsby just after lunch.. could be a. interesting comute home for some..

I think these showers are just going to be a tad to far to your east, metoffice thinking the same i think as they have only issued a severe weather warning for these areas;

Yorkshire & Humber:

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

NE Lincolnshire

Heavy Snow 0600 Fri 8 1600 Fri 8

Further snow showers will be heavy at times with further accumulations of 2 to 5 cm and possibly up to 10cm in places. Strong northerly winds may cause some drifting and blowing of snow at times.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0447 Fri 8 Jan

Posted

I think these showers are just going to be a tad to far to your east, metoffice thinking the same i think as they have only issued a severe weather warning for these areas;

I've been trying to figure out if they're going to hit South Yorkshire, and by looking at the net weather radar I would say the showers are moving in a SW direction and could quite possibly do so?

Posted

I've been trying to figure out if they're going to hit South Yorkshire, and by looking at the net weather radar I would say the showers are moving in a SW direction and could quite possibly do so?

parts of N Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, flowing through to South Yorkshire and penines.

lewis

Posted

Morning all,

They will probably be a slight thaw before the persistent spells of snow comes in soon. If you like the snow, look at the latest meto radar :cray: were in for a pasting.

Lewis

2.3c Lewis seems high again I'm registering 1.2c and I think reef is there or thereabouts - D.P -2.4C. Hopefully I will get mine uploading data tonight so you can match and see where this odd extra degree or two is coming from. I think on WD you can calibrate the software for stations that are slightly out. :unsure:

This a chap a mile up the road from me running the full live webupdates on WD - http://www.hullwx.co.uk/

Edited by Light Without Heat

Posted

looking at the trajectory on the radar I think, as long as they hold some decent intensity, they should clip leeds which would mean I'd be in the firing line at Wf8..

Not much work to be done today tho :unsure: all eyes on the radar..

Posted

What happened to the snow in the North Sea on Rain today at 9.30?

Posted

2.3c Lewis seems high again I'm registering 1.2c and I think reef is there or thereabouts - D.P -2.4C. Hopefully I will get mine uploading data tonight so you can match and see where this odd extra degree or two is coming from. I think on WD you can calibrate the software for stations that are slightly out. :nonono:

This a chap a mile up the road from me running the full live webupdates on WD - http://www.hullwx.co.uk/

Hi mate,

I think it's because im right on the North bank of the humber near the docks, so the wind becomes modificated and funnels through the river Hull, makes my temps a little different to yours :).

1.9C and dropping

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

looking at the trajectory on the radar I think, as long as they hold some decent intensity, they should clip leeds which would mean I'd be in the firing line at Wf8..

Not much work to be done today tho smile.gif all eyes on the radar..

My only concern would be if the Easterly Wind picks up as they come in are they not going to get shifted further inland?????

Posted

We would of seen any easterly winds affecting this bunch by now.. if anything I think any easterly influence as these come down now will curl the showers in perfectly..

I wouldnt worry bout the loss of data on rain today.. they will be back on the radar at 10:00 update..

Posted

Updated my forecast a little bit although only slight changes;

General Forecast:- Thursday 07th January 23:00 - Sunday 10th January

Friday:

During the early hours snow showers will continue to affect eastern coastal counties, mainly the Scarborough/Bridlington area, with some hefty snow showers possible in parts of East Yorkshire as the energy progress's southwards courtesy to the dormant LP that pushed to the South. In the early hours we start to pick up a fairly brisk to strong East to North Easterly wind, which by tomorrow afternoon/early evening will be touching gale force for coastal areas.

As the current radar shows, an organized band of snow will push SSW to affect eastern coastal counties, N Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, and will push SSW to affect South Yorkshire later today, they will continue to push towards the South Penines. A further 5cm is possible in many areas with as much as 12cm in some areas, as the day pushes on drifting becomes a higher possibility.

The latest 850 temp and sea level pressure charts clearly shows -10 to -12 upper's edging across us from the east. By this time an associated trough within the system is expected to hit eastern area's pushing organized showers inland. Although there is still uncertainty as to where the trough will be aligned, areas most at risk will be East Yorkshire/Lincs,West Yorkshire,South Yorkshire, and Northern parts of Yorkshire.

For those of you that wish to know what's happening all the time, your best bet is to keep checking the latest fax charts, and also satellite imagery, and of course the radar.

Another thing to remember is when we have such a prominent Easterly flow with very cold upper temperatures, the convective potential rises, which leads to a better risk of seeing heavy snow showers. The greater the difference between the upper 850 temperature's and SSTS (Sea Surface Temperature's) allows showers and heavy ones in particular to develop. Tomorrow's upper 850's are expected to be around -10 in general with some -12 to -14's pushing in a little later into Saturday) at this time of the year the North Sea Temperatures are generally between 8-9c the further East you go, although currently, due to the last cold snap the temperature's in the North Sea have dropped to around 6-7ºc with some sections touching 8c. So the difference in temperature between the upper 850 temps and sea surface temps tomorrow would be around 17ºc.

Another important think to look out for is the surface pressure, the tighter the isobars, the stronger flow you get. This is key over the next few days which will aid the showers penetrating further inland without loosing their intensity (to affect West and South Yorkshire).

Saturday

Again many snow showers blowing in off the North sea, some very heavy showers possible pushing well inland on a strong biting Easterly wind. If your going out during the weekend, make sure you wrap up warm as the wind chill factor will be skin piercing. Further light to moderate accumulations possible during the day, and as the afternoon wears on they will get even heavier.

Further possible 4-5cm of snow for a lot of areas with as much as 10cm+ for some of the lucky areas. If anyone is driving long distances, make sure you have a shovel in the back of the car handy, as drifting is very likely, with some impressive drifting for Eastern areas. Temperatures during Saturday will be around -1 to -4 for inland areas, the further east you go temperature's will hoer around the 0c mark, possible exceeding 0c with some areas typically on the coast reaching 1-2ºc.

Sunday

Although I'm a short term forecaster, this day is giving me a rather big headache. And yes "a bigger one than that low pressure today", a band of precipitation is likely to push from the SE, there is still a lot of uncertainty to regards the exact movement and how far North it will get. They will be generally moderate snow showers with some heavier ones thrown in for coastal areas and they will push inland to affect S and W Yorkshire ahead of the band.

They could become some marginality for extreme eastern coastal areas regarding dew points from a small warm sector out in the North Sea, because not only do the dews look unfavorable the 0c Isotherm looks marginal too, although in the heavier precipitation the isotherm will drop to around 100-200 meters, although the 850 upper temperatures do support snowfall along with the 500-100 Thickness (DAM) - Sub 528. But i expect a roller coaster with the models over the coming few days. If you asked me how confident I am that it will snow on Sunday, I would say roughly 80% certain.

For those of you that wish to be in the know, and have the best radar on the web! I recommend NetWeather extra, and if your a weather guru, the full package with the charts are fantastic! The NMM model is a fantastic resolution, and truly different to the regular low resolution charts.

Posted

morning all, well after a cpl of decent snow showers this morning things look like they are going to settle down a bit, sunshine here at the mo, here is hoping that some snow showers get to us at some point today.