Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Thanks Lewis, not only for that quick forecast you've done for us just then, but for the time you've put into this site during the cold spell keeping us updated. We don't have any of the really (well,what I class as) "big" guns i.e. BFTP, GP, Steve Murr etc, apart from John Holmes, so it's nice having another person who obviously knows his stuff helping us all out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Lewis,

For info temp now 0.5°C with a DP of -4.2°C

Looking forward to the showers later: working at home today biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Morning all.

I've got the next 3 days off so the weather can do what it likes....

Excellent forecast Lewis. Very useful and much appreciated. Anyhow, here's the latest kitchen window view:

post-4333-12629475915452_thumb.jpg

Posted

I don't know what the netweather 16 day extra detail forecast has been drinking, but it's showing snow for me for every hour every day from Sunday upto Thursday biggrin.gif

Posted

Hi mate,

I think it's because im right on the North bank of the humber near the docks, so the wind becomes modificated and funnels through the river Hull, makes my temps a little different to yours :nonono:.

1.9C and dropping

Theres something very wrong with your station. The temperature here is only 0.4C which is the max so far. If you were at 2.6C as your signature shows, then you'd already be experiencing a significant thaw, especially as its sunny. Your minimum temperatures are ok, so all I can think of is that the station is in the sunshine or just very crude?

You're off Marfleet late not far from Portabello street I believe, so literally 3-4 miles by crow from here. You'll recieve no warming effects from the Humber. When I lived on Victoria Dock for a time the warming effects extended no more than 100-200 metres as its such a small body of water. Plus this modification generally only occured at night.

Posted

Noticed this in the garden today! Very small amount of snowfall last night in LS7 less than 1cm dusting, any good news in sight? All I can see is more of the same!

post-5605-12629482826252_thumb.jpg

Edited by ezman

Posted

Noticed this in the garden today! Very small amount of snowfall last night in LS7 less than 1cm dusting, any good news in sight? All I can see is more of the same!

Brilliant picture! how long is it!?

Posted

About 12 flakes of snow stuck to the car this morning in Cleckheaton, but that's it for snow overnight. Bit disppointed with the forecasts that were pushing the showers further west last night that they actually went. I can't see any snow for the western parts of Yorkshire today. It's a beautiful day, but very cold and icy.

I'm hoping for snow this weekend, but it appears that the chances are that areas further south and east will be hit with areas towards the pennines missing out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I got one of them too:

post-4333-12629489911752_thumb.jpg

Posted

Theres something very wrong with your station. The temperature here is only 0.4C which is the max so far. If you were at 2.6C as your signature shows, then you'd already be experiencing a significant thaw, especially as its sunny. Your minimum temperatures are ok, so all I can think of is that the station is in the sunshine or just very crude?

You're off Marfleet late not far from Portabello street I believe, so literally 3-4 miles by crow from here. You'll recieve no warming effects from the Humber. When I lived on Victoria Dock for a time the warming effects extended no more than 100-200 metres as its such a small body of water. Plus this modification generally only occured at night.

Hi Reef, night time it's fine, day time is when it seems to go a little high, but there's no sun light at all on it, not even close too it. So why would the weather station decide to give false reading just because the sun has come up. The current temp now is 1.6ºc with a dew point of -2.5ºc.

I'll see how it does on Saturday in the Easterly, and if you don't mind ill ask you for your temp and dew and also a couple of members around the area, if it's still showing signs of mis-readings i'll buy the oregon one off the internet, it's 250 quid so i'm sure it's a good investment if they are very accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Perhaps 2cm of snow falling overnight, which is nice and with the wind moving round to a more easterly direction, looks good for here today.

Posted

Perhaps 2cm of snow falling overnight, which is nice and with the wind moving round to a more easterly direction, looks good for here today.

hi, any ideas about what i can expect down here please, sunshine here at the mo.

Posted

Thanks Lewis, not only for that quick forecast you've done for us just then, but for the time you've put into this site during the cold spell keeping us updated. We don't have any of the really (well,what I class as) "big" guns i.e. BFTP, GP, Steve Murr etc, apart from John Holmes, so it's nice having another person who obviously knows his stuff helping us all out.

Hi Houston,

There's no need to thank me at all, I'm glad to help and providing everyone information/forecasts does not just help you and others, it also helps me greatly too when you update me with conditions etc and whats happening, not just that but it gives me an idea on my accuracy. If i get it wrong it makes me stronger and i learn from my mistakes if you know what i mean.

Looking good for your area a little later :clap:

best of luck

Morning mate. where can i find the current temp for my area,as i normally use weatheronline but thats wrong as it's taken from humberside airport which is usually slightly higher.

Hope this helps mate;

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Sprunehorpe&wuSelect=WEATHER

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Yea I agree Reef there is something defiantly a miss with old Lewis stations, I think its out by at least a degree and a half every thing else seems to be functioning, with him using WD software he should be able to recalibrate and use the software to display correctly, mine should be up and running tonight so between yours and mine there should be a reasonably level playing field -any thoughts? :lol:

Posted

FAO John Holmes 10cms in total - an additional 3cms after last night - Beverley, HU17 8YA

Cheers

gobby

Posted

Yea I agree Reef there is something defiantly a miss with old Lewis stations, I think its out by at least a degree and a half every thing else seems to be functioning, with him using WD software he should be able to recalibrate and use the software to display correctly, mine should be up and running tonight so between yours and mine there should be a reasonably level playing field -any thoughts? :lol:

Well im showing 3.8c here now, there's no reason at all it would mis-read so poorly when its accurate overnight, it's not in direct sunlight.

Maybe my back garden has a dormant volcano underneath it :lol:

Oh god now my station says its raining, it's clear skies.

LOL

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

bomb.gif wht a joke!! we have near perfect synoptics and no snow! so much for paul hudsons forecasts all week of heay prolonged snow showers! The good covering we had is just slowly residing now. And by the look of the latest charts its staying dry all today and weekend!! Just typical i'm afraid-a waste.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifdiablo.gifnonono.gifgirl_devil.gif

Posted

bomb.gif wht a joke!! we have near perfect synoptics and no snow! so much for paul hudsons forecasts all week of heay prolonged snow showers! The good covering we had is just slowly residing now. And by the look of the latest charts its staying dry all today and weekend!! Just typical i'm afraid-a waste.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifdiablo.gifnonono.gifgirl_devil.gif

Hi Arnott,

Where abouts are you located?

Thanks

Posted

Brilliant picture! how long is it!?

around 18 inches so far, wonder how long it will take to bring down the drainpipe!

Posted

Hmmmm not sure what you are looking at or thinking of – but all to play for IMHO –showers look like they are about to move in -wind has not switched into an Eastern quadrant. Tonight and tomorrow have got very interesting written all over them TBH :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Morning,

I see the Easterly never happened (again) overnight as the main shower activity spotted last night on satellite imagery only hit Norfolk and missed East Yorkshire and Lincolnshie entirely contrary to many forecasts. Even now I watch the forecast - and the first thing I see is no easterly - secondly I follow the line of snow northwards and see that the source of shower activity is once again this winter past Shetland Islands from the Pole.

TBH this is probably a good thing as I am still uneasy about SSTs in the North Sea being too high (coastal locations deserve just as much Snow too :drinks: ) if an Easterly was to set in at this time.

Posted

I think look norths prediction of snow may be slightly wrong again with saying the showers will push into south yorkshire. That large stream of showers is making landfall in a very similar place as the NMM model suggests and this shoes it effecting north and west yorkshire rather than south yorkshire ... let's wait and see. Temp is -2.2 and dp is -5.5.

Edited by Andy_Calafell_Sheffield