Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

-6.9 here. Coldest this winter.

Neighbours outside tap burst yesterday so they should have an ice rink out their back!

Would expect river ice to increase today!

I think grit stops working at -6. Is that right?

Going to defrost the cars! :):):)

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

North Wicklow must have the best snow magnet ever - yet again some decent showers come in off the sea and slip down there. CLoudy here, radar showed showers hitting us, but nothing from the sky yet. Grrrrrr!

-13.7 in Baltinglass this morning!!

-22.5 in Altnaharra in North Scotland.

Easterly drift today might just raise the temps above zero.

Charts looking increasingly like a breakdown by monday to me, certainly on the coast at first. Forecasts still saying freeze to continue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

-7.2C here overnight, currently -6.2C, but I'm expecting the temperature to rise quickly as the fog is now clearing.

Looking like I might get a lot of snow over the coming days :)

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted

After a quick look at the GFS, the risk of snow showers in NI starts on Sunday afternoon and continues through the whole of next week yet NI does not appear on any Met Office SWW for snow despite showing a far greater risk than many parts of England and Wales that are under a warning.

Clearly I'm only basing this on the GFS ppn charts and snow risk charts, but you have to wonder.

Things look brilliant for Southern Ireland, especially with altitude next week.

Posted

After a quick look at the GFS, the risk of snow showers in NI starts on Sunday afternoon and continues through the whole of next week yet NI does not appear on any Met Office SWW for snow despite showing a far greater risk than many parts of England and Wales that are under a warning.

Clearly I'm only basing this on the GFS ppn charts and snow risk charts, but you have to wonder.

Things look brilliant for Southern Ireland, especially with altitude next week.

It looks like a case of so near and yet so far for us at the moment. Even the Irish Met's latest warning leaves us out:

Another spell of snow will affect mainly Leinster and Munster during Sunday and Monday with falls of 5 to 10 cm expected ( highest in eastern and southeastern counties). Strong easterly winds will lead to drifting.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

However, these things can change rapidly as the time approaches - the snow could end up only affecting Southern England or it could move further north to affect us!

Posted

The latest GFS def upgrades the threat of snow for NI but I think it will be a bit hit and miss. Looks great for the South. Had a light snow shower last night and with the freezin temps it was a nightmare driving as it just sticks and freezes.

Posted

Temperature now up to a toasty -4.6C :D

Completely blue skies now and everything is still white, definitely on for the coldest max I've ever recorded!

Posted

The temperature maxed out at -2.9C and is now beginning its descent, -3.1C at the moment.

Sunday and Monday still looking very good to me at least.

Posted

I think the Sunday/Monday event has been downgraded. The prec has slightly reduced and the flow seems to have moved slightly further south.

The UK MO also seem to have reduced their warning to the very south of the UK so my guess is that any decent snow will be south of a line between wicklow and limerick.

As previously stated this will become a nowcasting event with local snow (>2cm) still possible for all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

another ice day, temp maxed out at -1.3c, it is now plunging to -2.8c . could be on for the coldest night of the winter. :)

Posted

-4.4C already. This looks likely to be a record breaker for both low max and min temperatures.

All primary and secondary schools in Ireland to be closed from Monday to Wednesday http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0108/weather.html

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

this is mental tonight, temp rocketing down here. it is -3.7c already. could be records broken tonight. :nonono:

Posted

Thermometer currently reading -8, was -11 around 7am today before going to work. Stopped off on way home from work to see the river Lagan that was frozen. Thanks to Jello for the heads up yesterday, was outstanding seeing it. Here's a couple of pics I took.

post-9415-12629710355442_thumb.jpg post-9415-12629710523742_thumb.jpg post-9415-12629710659742_thumb.jpg post-9415-12629710795842_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thermometer currently reading -8, was -11 around 7am today before going to work. Stopped off on way home from work to see the river Lagan that was frozen. Thanks to Jello for the heads up yesterday, was outstanding seeing it. Here's a couple of pics I took.

post-9415-12629710355442_thumb.jpg post-9415-12629710523742_thumb.jpg post-9415-12629710659742_thumb.jpg post-9415-12629710795842_thumb.jpg

Very cool pics there Watsy!

Was your thermometer reading from the car? -8 is exceptional. I'm a few miles from you and half the temp at -4.2c.

Looked out the bedroom window and saw a layer of fog lower down the hill. I'm looking out over the top of it! Could be another record breaker tonight!

Posted

Hi Baltic, glad you liked the pics. The thermometer isn't in the car, it's a simple looking thing that hangs off our washing line, it's the sort you'd see maybe in the likes of a garden centre. I've maybe mentioned before I've no idea how accurate it is and I've no doubt it's cheap, my dad had a couple and gave me one.

Will post a pic just to clarify what type it is and if it's crap or not. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Snow still lying here after 2 dry days.

Had a frost overnight aswell..(not that it matters what with practically all surfaces coated in snow and ice)

Last nights min: -6.5c

Todays max: 0.2c

Currently: -2.5c

Hopefully beat last nights min record for my area tonight.

Details for Sunday/Monday still a bit shoddy to say the least....but when a breakdown comes, I'm sure it will be a snow fest for a good portion of us.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

max today was -4.1c

min was -12.2c:yahoo:

current temp is -7.6c

expecting colder night than last night if the dropping continus and nothing cmes to stop it!:cold:

Posted

Just regarding the thermometer temps, see a few posts up. This is what I use, hopefully using something like this isn't banworthy on a weather forum. :lol:

Where it hangs:

therm1.jpg

Current temp:

therm2.jpg

As you can see it isn't something you find on the gadget show but is using something like this a waste of time or can it be regarded as moderately acurate. Maybe my wifes frosty attitude has some bearing on it as well. :lol: