Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It won't be marginal , the dp's are too low. IF the band of ppn makes it this far west it will be snow.

If it goes any higher existing lying snow could start to melt. Not liking this at all...

Posted

Is it just me or can't you zoom into the rain today radar like you used to be able too?

They may have disabled it due to the sheer amount of users to the site, it says so in the top left corner of the page :good:

Edit: Snowingtequila beet me to it :clap:

Edited by SnowKidding

Posted

it says in it some functions such as zoom are not available at busy times

Ah cheers snowingtequila - hope it comes back into play soon, it's handy being able to zoom right into your locality. Little green blob showing up just north of Leeds. That could be our second flurry.

They may have disabled it due to the sheer amount of users to the site, it says so in the top right corner of the page :good:

Edit: Snowingtequila beet me to it :good:

D'uh lol I've just seen it now, must pay more attention next time. That or not have my monitor positioned too far away. :clap:

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

doubt any snow will get this far. Looks on track to miss me narrowly anyway

Unfortunatly i agrer i even think we not see any more at all as we know its very rare to get snow in preston just because we have had some recently doesnt change that. hope im wrong but think we might have to be gratefull for what we got

Posted

Hi,

Just asking how much does cloud cover affect night time minimas, does it make a big difference, for example can low mimima still occur with small amounts of cloud cover?

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-5.4c here

very active with showers coming into eastern england/scotland, is there a trough on the fax charts?

Posted

Various weather sites including this one are giving the latest temperature reading in Carlisle to be between -10 and -11.5 as of 20:00hrs!! But the temperature hasn't got above 0 for about 4 or 5 days here now. Our local newspaper reported the temperature was as low as -19 in an area of Carlisle the other night. I'm not surprised when the following morning people came into work saying the car readings were showing -13 to -15 at 8am!!

Posted

Those showers are starting to look more potent on the east coast. With its general direction if it makes it past the pennines the south of the region including parts of merseyside and halton could get a shower or two :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

-5.4c here

very active with showers coming into eastern england/scotland, is there a trough on the fax charts?

Perfectly plausible - possibly embedded in the flow -. Sat24 shows it as one to watch

Posted

Indications for the first time that wind direction is shifting.

All ppn previously sliding south of my location - now the radar shows more ppn to the north (which would be the case at first if wind direction turned more NE/E). Weather station shows this also with an alteration, however slight, of windspeed and orientation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yes had a nice flurry of snow here, left a dusting.

Posted

Nothing but stubborn cloud. -1.3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

anything that falls after sunday i think will be marginal, we loose the 528 dam, although snow can fall in 540 thickness or less, DP's rise to zero to +2c and the uppers start to get mixed out to -4 / -5 and surface temps 2/3c

hoping for snow over the weekend!!!

Posted

Wow, you wouldn't think Altnharra was -22c last night!

2c there atm!

Posted

Just as I thought, those Pennines are draining every last flake from that band heading this way, its started to die away now, always the same :clap:

Posted

anything that falls after sunday i think will be marginal, we loose the 528 dam, although snow can fall in 540 thickness or less, DP's rise to zero to +2c and the uppers start to get mixed out to -4 / -5 and surface temps 2/3c

hoping for snow over the weekend!!!

I wouldn't like to gamble on anything past Sunday I think it is very uncertain. I woulld be surprised to get anything marginal on top of my 9 inches of snow. A lot coujld change in the next 48 hrs model wise.

Posted

Hi,

Any possibility of any further snowfall at the weekend for me (South Liverpool)? And also will the cloud clear to allow our temps to drop - does anyone know what the South Liverpool/Garston temp is at the moment? Also the only thing that I don't like is the fact that somebody mentioned that any snow events after the weekend could be marginal I am worried because that could endanger our snowcover with rain - does anyone else agree?

Luke