Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hi,

Any possibility of any further snowfall at the weekend for me (South Liverpool)? And also will the cloud clear to allow our temps to drop - does anyone know what the South Liverpool/Garston temp is at the moment? Also the only thing that I don't like is the fact that somebody mentioned that any snow events after the weekend could be marginal I am worried because that could endanger our snowcover with rain - does anyone else agree?

Luke

The skies will probably be clear for the most part unless a lot makes it over the pennines. The further south you are the more chance of snow you will have on sunday night into monday (I dont think saturday is much for any of the northwest) and by marginal, it isn't that temps will cause rain, it is that snow simply wont fall in the north of the region looking at current charts, no precipitation will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The irony is that the very source of air we've been begging for during the mild years, is the one the makes everything marginal, yet it is the northerly/northeasterly - the one that usually bring the marginality that has worked in our favour.

It's a funny business this weather malarky.

Posted

Temperature's risen again tonight from a low earlier on this evening of -12.4C to a tropical -9.1C. Cloudy, but I've no idea to what extent.

ONLY -9.1! :p Its a good -2 here i should think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

The skies will probably be clear for the most part unless a lot makes it over the pennines. The further south you are the more chance of snow you will have on sunday night into monday (I dont think saturday is much for any of the northwest) and by marginal, it isn't that temps will cause rain, it is that snow simply wont fall in the north of the region looking at current charts, no precipitation will.

Hi K, it looked promising on bbc charts round 5pm-ish, but the north-western boundary of ppn is more like north midlands atm. All subject to change. While I'm on, whats that massive swirl of cloud north of Scotland? Don't suppose its coming south? :)

Posted

I can't believe that I have driven all the way from Bacup to Surrey, there is no snow falling here, but it looks like there is now loads heading for Bacup, I'm never in the right place at the right time.

We packed the car will all the important things like shovel, blankets, biscuits and a flask of hot choc and didn't need any of it, there was just a bad bit around to top of the M42 which started to settle, but there were an awful lot of gritters around.

Looking at the forecast, getting home on Sunday may be a bit more interesting.

Hope you all have a good night watching the radar and get some more of the white stuff.

Shadowfax

Temporarily in Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

ne england getting a pasting now, if only it could make it over the pennines....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The NW Extra radar shows it heading straight for me, but I guess it can't take into account the Pennines and their ability to kill showers?

you may be lucky, quite a bit of energy by the looks of things there, looks like its heading west now really pepped up from scotland to ne england the ppn theres a weak upper air disturbance moving south into Scotland and a strip of Vorticity coming south on the western edge of the trough which is enhancing ppn

Edited by james12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

The NW Extra radar shows it heading straight for me, but I guess it can't take into account the Pennines and their ability to kill showers?

Hi OON - if you get it, it should then follow the 850 wind vector to me. Please tell it that is the rule (after letting it through the Penines!) :acute:

Posted

Surely some of that lot has to make it over the pennines. That clump further north over the Newcastle area looks favourite for us here.

I would have thought we need more of an easterly element in the wind but I may be wrong...

Posted

Looking at http://www.meteox.co...ar=-3&soort=exp

at the 3 hour range possibly that band may hit merseyside some time early tomorrow morning.pardon.gif

Doubt it will happen mate, But i would love to be wrong ! I think we have probably seen the last of the snow in Merseyside cray.gif

Posted

thinking of a trip to the lakes tomorrow, can anyone tell me if you have much lying snow up there? Cheers

We've got loads of lying snow..the higher you go the more there is..very picturesque..tried to post some pictures the other day but it wouldn't let me..it's very quiet at the moment as well, try Kirkstone Pass if you want to go sledging..

Chris..

Posted

Doubt it will happen mate, But i would love to be wrong ! I think we have probably seen the last of the snow in Merseyside cray.gif

Yeah,i've said that also in a recent post today but the flow seem to move more westerly and this band seems stronger than the recent bands of earlier on today from the north east.

Probably wishful thinking though:p

Posted

Hi K, it looked promising on bbc charts round 5pm-ish, but the north-western boundary of ppn is more like north midlands atm. All subject to change. While I'm on, whats that massive swirl of cloud north of Scotland? Don't suppose its coming south? :p

Haha wouldn't count on that cloud its a long way out yet to be making a call on that and to be honest i don't have a clue about it, its barely on the satellite image at the moment

Posted

Hi OON - if you get it, it should then follow the 850 wind vector to me. Please tell it that is the rule (after letting it through the Penines!) :good:

I think that's the first time anyone's ever sought weather advice from me. What's an 850 wind vector?

Posted

I've had no snow so far, so they are dying just a little NE of my location atm, and dying quite spectacularly!

Posted

Yeah,i've said that also in a recent post today but the flow seem to move more westerly and this band seems stronger than the recent bands of earlier on today from the north east.

Probably wishful thinking though:p

Fingers and toes crossed clap.gif

Posted

I think that's the first time anyone's ever sought weather advice from me. What's an 850 wind vector?

I dont think its the last we will see snow in Merseyside in this cold snap, even if we see some on the breakdown that is still not set in stone for a further 2 weeks if the met office/media are to be believed.

It's very cold out there atm, and icey and anything could happen next week, with a streamer or anything. Stop being so glum heehee

A optimistic Merseyside person ;0

Posted

I think Cumbria will most certainly see some snow from the band currently affecting the northeast. There seem to be quite a bit of energy there!

Karyo

Posted

Don't know but it sounds knowledgable. They're on the net-w radar & I think it's the direction/speed of wind at where the air pressure is 850 hectopascals (hpa) I'll get me coat :nonono:

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Actually, I've looked at all those wind arrows and believe whichever are sending showers towards me on a given night.

If these showers do reach here, I don't think it's going to be marginal for me. Still -8.0 with a dewpoint of -9.0.