Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Pleasantly surprised by the presence of light snow when I opened my curtains! I seem to be bang in line for a fairly decent shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Strewth, these are the biggest snowflakes that I have ever seen!

Posted

Nice flurries round here at the moment, and what with everything out in the North Sea, there should be plenty to come! :cold:

The models didn't agree with this, the GFS had the showers going as far as Rutland or East Nottingham and then dying

And this surprises you how? :whistling: You should know the GFS factors in the Nottingham snow shield... :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Just hammered it down again. Approaching a couple of inches in the garden. I don't see the issue with measuring snow cover on the grass and taking it as your depth. It is natural. Why measure on a concrete surface that nature never intended.

Posted

I know there's the old saying 'those look like snow clouds' but these one's definately have a yellowy, snowy tinge to them.

I'm gland for Rugby/Notts which havent had much until today, now send them to medrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I know there's the old saying 'those look like snow clouds' but these one's definately have a yellowy, snowy tinge to them.

I'm gland for Rugby/Notts which havent had much until today, now send them to medrinks.gif

should be with you, that shower was very heavy, everything white again now

Posted

Update from Cradley Heath area: it has clouded over now and the snow has begun to come down moderately. Very chunky snowflakes. :whistling:

Posted

It seems that I have a rather heavy fall of snow, rather big flakes so I'm quite pleased with that :) however NW Radar does show it not lasting too long, however I wasn't expecting it to reach this far inland till tomorrow so yeah, nice surprise!

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

seems an upgrade on bbc weather Alex deakin, bbc video, snow definitely making it even north of here, reminds me of 2nd Feb 09, snow moving in from SE, and as then as expected most to the SE

Yes I just watched the 10am weather is its looks promising for the whole of southern and central england tomorrow tbh.........5-10cms in general......

oh yer a nice heavy snow shower passing through!!!!!!!!!!

Is this going to be the year for the midlands lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Same here nick. To open my curtains to see it snowing lightly which has actully turned quite heavy for last couple of mins. Looks great!

Posted

Very heavy snow here now! :) :)

Posted

The showers should really start getting going and merging later tonight and in to tomorrow. With no thaw, even the lightest of showers are topping up.

Posted

The showers should really start getting going and merging later tonight and in to tomorrow. With no thaw, even the lightest of showers are topping up.

That is the biggest advantage we have now. In recent winters, by now the lying snow would have turned wet and slushy. But if you go outside and kick it - it is still very powdery. The snow is settling no problem at all on the existing cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

That is the biggest advantage we have now. In recent winters, by now the lying snow would have turned wet and slushy. But if you go outside and kick it - it is still very powdery. The snow is settling no problem at all on the existing cover.

yeah its great, had flurries all morning and just had a heavy one, bbc has them reaching nowhere near here

Posted

what is going on?? i got woken up at half 5 by my sister to see outside heavy snow for abt and hour and half easy another 6-7 cm here in coventry i was not expecting that at all!!!

Posted

yeah its great, had flurries all morning and just had a heavy one, bbc has them reaching nowhere near here

My thoughts exactly Mark, the BBC barely showed them getting into the East Midlands. Going by the radar, some of them are in fact strengthening as they head inland! We could get a top up today.

Posted

Interesting development in to Tuesday. The low attempts to penetetrate our established cold, but the frontal PPN stalls and begins to fizzle out over the west mids. One to watch, but the mild will not win this battle. Prolonged and heavy snowfall in the west country.