Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

One For The Oldies!

Mondy

Posted

Out of interest, and is there a possible comparison, what were the following Summers like after the real cold spells of 1947, 1963 et al? Any pattern? If so, could 2010 Summer be similar? :p

Posted

I am told that 47 summer was a heatwave after an arctic winter

(I had just made an appearance in the late summer of '47 but not able to remember at that age ! :acute: )

can't remember what 63 was like

1947: 1.8 -2.0 3.2 8.0 12.4 14.8 16.3 17.9 14.5 10.4 6.8 4.9 0.95 7.86 16.35 10.55 9.14

1963: -2.3 -1.2 5.4 7.9 9.9 14.1 14.5 13.8 12.6 10.4 7.6 2.3 -0.52 7.72 14.11 10.18 7.96

The summer of 1947 appears to have been quite good, though the winter of 1963 was nothing to write home about. As a consequence I would suggest that there is no corrolation between a cold snowy winter and a hot or warm summer.

Posted

Generally, a summer that follows a severe winter is on the cool side. 1947 is the exception but if you look at all winters below 2C for the CET, you can count on one hand, the number of summers that had a CET of at least 16.0C, a good portion are sub 15C

Posted

very true Kevin

1947 summer was pretty good especially later as I remember that-I've told the story before of how snow was discovered on the opencast site not far from my parents having been covered with a layer of clay which was removed, perhaps in August or it may have been a weekend in July, I cannot remember. The Derbyshire Times had a photographer there taking shots of us throwing, what soon became very wet and brownish snow balls at one another!

Parents were far from happy as boys returned home looking more like some apparition from a mud bath than playing in snow.

1963 was no great shakes from my memory but a trip to the CET data will give confirmation.

Posted

The summer of 47' (in Sunderland) was wonderful but my memories of 63' were of a summer that was nothing special. I think we could all do with a settled warm spell this years this exceptional spell of snow and ice.

Edited by Rollo

Posted

I would say 1947 was an exceptional hot excellent summer looking at the CET`s after an exceptional cold /very snowy winter.