Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I love poetry!

Particularly like the "oh no it's an ice-age, 2cm in Buckingham" line!

Feel free to compose some more! :good:

Why thank you :) Diolch yn fawr :) Meur Ras :)

Posted

Going to sound stupid now but i have just subscribed to the netweather radar but can't find it? anyone know where i can find it so i can start using it!! ? cheers

Posted

Going to sound stupid now but i have just subscribed to the netweather radar but can't find it? anyone know where i can find it so i can start using it!! ? cheers

log on

edit

https://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/login.pl?error=session_timeout

nic e light snow here

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Just posted this on the main output, and will post it here, as i think some people take the MO as gospel (with ref to weather warnings) at little to much.

In My view;

75% -

From Tues 12th; Low after low until a proper zonal SW setup is in place. There will be some ''initally heavy snow, turning to rain/sleet later'' set-ups, and at times the midlands could have some heavy falls. This will gradually be balsted away and the cold spell long forgotten by the 20th. Then possibley colder from 26-27thJan onwards.

25% -

Low after low approaches the Uk, weakens and tends to want to drop to the south. The first will be centred over England, the second dropping into France/Spain even. Widespread snow from the first for the midlands, and also from the second, with heavy rain for S/SW. Temps in South back to normal, up north still cold. The cold gradually pushes back in to all areas from the 20th and a weak eastern flow, into a possible Northerly later in month.

I haven't a clue what planet the Met are on to forecast heavy snow on wednesday in the Devon and Cornwall , I think they've gone into Weather warning overload to avoid bad press (as the news-reporter on itv on Thursday night tried to highlight - incorrectly in my opinion).

I would say the chance of heavy snow over Cornwall and Devon (barring the moors) is close to 5%. You may as well start puttng out warnings for earthquakes.

Unless there are upgrades, there will be very little/no snow over the SW (Moors and glous aside) from next Wednesday, there is POTENTIAL, but that is not what the charts are going for at the moment.

Enjoy your flurries tomorrow morning; I'm hoping for 1cm tomorrow from a prelonged flurry of 12hours.

Paul

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Paul:

I think what we will see over the week is the low stall further SW and then slip SE as ties in with the MO warnings (imo) I'm not saying that it isn't going to warm up a bit but I think the snowfall will be something quite special.

Remember last Feb?

Of course I might be horribly wrong and by Wednesday the snow will be all gone and it'll be raining turning Dartmoor back into the mudbath it so often is. Which is not nice. :unsure:

Posted

good forecast by Laura Tobin,

thinking the same Matt,

What did she say?

BBC news still going for 'Alpine conditions' for another week, no mention of any warming up.

Posted

Widepread snow,light,moderate sometimes heavy.

Some places 15cm(probably the East)

other places 5 cm - 10cm..or was it 15cm..cant remember

spreading FAR North

didnt seem bias to S/E to me...covering on different parts or all the country...but thats how I see it..

LUCY of SKY going for the same...

no mention of the end..

Edited by dogs32

Posted

spreading FAR North

Thats good for you lol but not for the rest of SW...north would head into midlands.

Posted

spreading FAR North

Sounds good.

Anyways, enjoy guys I am off to town to get some supplies!

Spotlight News: "with no end to the big chill..."

Nuff said.

Ciao Ciao

Posted

Hi dogs,

In response to your earlier question, I think we may be looking a fair bit later than tea time for the more persistent spells to kick in. Though as we head through the afternoon and evening we should start to see an increase in frequency of the flurries we've seen this morning....might be worth keeping an eye on the wash for the next few hours, looks like a mini stream setting up just south of the one that passed to the north of gloucestershire (probably hit evesham and surrounding area)

In terms of totals - expect somewhere around 2-5cms to avoid dissapointment. In no way am i ruling out more, particularly across mendips, cotswolds etc, but best not expect more than a couple of inches for now

SK

Posted

:D :lol: :D:D:D:D:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I love poetry!

Particularly like the "oh no it's an ice-age, 2cm in Buckingham" line!

Feel free to compose some more! :good:

I must be a fool for living in Poole. Always hoping for snow from a North Easterly flow. Always the east and we get the least. Lets hope for once that we get the bunce. And their forecast from Nick is not very thick. And their prediction from Eye in the sky is just pie in the sky. So lets have the best for us in the west. A south eastern slant? End of my rant. LOL.

Posted

I must be a fool for living in Poole. Always hoping for snow from a North Easterly flow. Always the east and we get the least. Lets hope for once that we get the bunce. And their forecast from Nick is not very thick. And their prediction from Eye in the sky is just pie in the sky. So lets have the best for us in the west. A south eastern slant? End of my rant. LOL.

we just need a scottish and irish one now to complete the set!

Posted

.......and a :lol: :lol: :clap::clap: for you too, kent...........have you thought about a name-change, or are you hoping (hopping :oops: ) that your name will produce some Kentish weather for you?

(Kent is one of those places that gets lots of snow, isn't it? :lol: )

Posted

SK,

Cheers wise word's..

Only expect a small amount,yes been watching the shower's feeding down from the North East.

I think by the time today is out we just might get some decent shower's :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hi folks...an update from here in Jersey. Snow showers have persisted throughout the morning, some of which have been heavy and prolonged. The forecast continues in this vein for us for the remainder of today and overnight tonight with temperatures expected to fall to the dizzy lows of minus one degree celcius (temperature at Jersey Airport currently 0.6 degrees celcius). Our islandwide public transport system is crippled, Jersey Airport is closed and is likely to remain closed all day and people are being urged to stay off the roads unless their journey is absolutely necessary. The last time I can remember experiencing anything like this on the island was back in 1987. Pics to follow soon :lol:

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted

Slipping in a bit of Cornish as well, eh? :whistling:

Yeyn yw hi hag ergh ;)

Oer yw hi ag eira ;)

Its cold with snow, Welsh and cornish are mutally intelligible, I can understand 70% of what a cornish speaker says.