Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

just might get more than 12....Channel low's are always the meaniest for the s/w

can it be 1982????

or 1981 this week coming

Have to keep an eye on how far this Developing LP goes North though..

could mean rain for some

Yep probably localised heavy rain around the cardiff area

*waits for reaction*

Genuinely though, possibly some back edge rain/sleet, though it looks to me as though the band actually fizzles out whilst across the eastern parts of our region, so possibly not here....more coastal districts may find a sleetier affair throughout

SK

Posted

just might get more than 12....Channel low's are always the meaniest for the s/w

can it be 1982????

or 1981 this week coming

Have to keep an eye on how far this Developing LP goes North though..

could mean rain for some

I'm looking towards tomorrow night, heavy snow developing.

Posted

Yes jay really heavy snow coming tomorrow night.Could make for difficult travelling conditions going to work

Posted

I'm looking towards tomorrow night, heavy snow developing.

LOL...

I take it you just read SK's post there :)

Instant reaction Jay..

I reckon you have two computer's with both threads open..One Welsh one South West.

yes tomorrow looking good :)

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Another snow flurry here...looks like we'll get a few in the next couple of hours

SK

Edit: Actually coming down pretty hard here now

Edited by snowking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Snowing here, quite heavy, large flakes!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hello all,

Wow i went to austria and it has been snowing at home! wallbash.gif Snow conditions were poor abroad and have come home to a winter wonderland! rofl.gif

Just hope we get to see some in next day or so because i have not seen a flake on holiday. shok.gifcray.gif

max temp today here has been -2.2c cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

get very confused with the forecast, sky news shows snow here, but bbc news doesnt grrrrrr.....

Posted

Here we go again, Yesterday they were warning of heavy snow for us now it's going to move north again, I for one will be glad when it gets milder at least you know when they say rain we get rain.

Totally agree...how many times do they say ''Rain for Devon tomorrow'' and then later say ''actually, sorry, its going to be lovely and dry''

nonono.gif

The GFS still looks ok for tonight, the MO has NO ppn over the south west for this time period?!

GFS or MO; the GFS has had a lot of stick recently, but they are much more acurate than the mets rainfall forecast charts, but then the MO charts in the short range have also been farily strong. hmmmm GFS or MO?

Theres only one way to fine out......FIIIIGGGHHHTTT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Hello all,

Wow i went to austria and it has been snowing at home! wallbash.gif Snow conditions were poor abroad and have come home to a winter wonderland! rofl.gif

Just hope we get to see some in next day or so because i have not seen a flake on holiday. shok.gifcray.gif

welcome back.

edit, see you got your weather station up and running, would be intrested to see what your lowest temp was from this week.here it got down to -10.6c

fromeydrinks.gif

Edited by fromey

Posted

get very confused with the forecast, sky news shows snow here, but bbc news doesnt grrrrrr.....

Hi caz,

Thats the issue of following the graphics like a holy grail. Even though theyre brand new you still have to treat them like the old symbols - just because they showed a snow showers across a 20 sq mile area didnt mean all of those areas would receive showers

Its almost the exact opposite here with todays BBC weather graphics. Theyre trying to emphasise that whilst the snow will be persistent it shouldnt amount to more than a couple of inches around these parts

Kind Regards

SK

Posted

are we, or are we not going to get some more of the white stuff over the next couple of days? no weather report seems to be the same.You guys on here seem to know what your on about, more than the weather men/woman so please tell.

Posted

Nice suprise, again, heavy snow flurries here ! clap.gif

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester.

p.s. What an outlook to look forward too ! Battle grounds being drawn up for mid week ! (attack from the south west). And then we have the front from the east/south east to keep us occupied with beforehand !

Posted

welcome back.

edit, see you got your weather station up and running, would be intrested to see what your lowest temp was from this week.here it got down to -10.6c

fromeydrinks.gif

My station went offline for part of the week which is anoying but from what i can see -12.1c was recorded as a minimum on base station although it is cutting out at times as batteries don't like this cold so could have been lower. I will replace them in morning.

I am gutted to miss the snow falls although i hope we shall see some over next day or so before it gets milder.

I shall have to try and dig my car out and get out of villiage for work tomoro. rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

was great that shower..fairly heavy :(

Yeah just had what can only be described as a arctic shower.

It was very heavy almost whiteout here big flakes ( 50p size ) and was being blown about on the roads like waves of water rushin on to a beach.

Was great.

What was also odd is the sky was blue lol

My road looks like a frozen lake now, about 3cm thick of almost clear ice

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Hello all,

wb to the snow show mullender83 :(

Posted

wb to the snow show mullender83 acute.gif

Thanks very much blush.gif

Temperature is falling already and it is down to -3.1c Powder snow as well I just love it!

I was on the plane coming into bristol this morning and I was shocked to see england and wales white coast to coast! drinks.gif

Some children on plane with their parents said "mum why are we back on holiday?" rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Thanks very much blush.gif

Temperature is falling already and it is down to -3.1c Powder snow as well I just love it!

I was on the plane coming into bristol this morning and I was shocked to see england and wales white coast to coast! drinks.gif

Some children on plane with their parents said "mum why are we back on holiday?" rofl.gif

Ner ner

hehe

WB

Posted

I cant strees two points enough here, and please dont take this as me having a go at anyone because this is not my intention smile.gif

1) heavy snow was never forecast for the SW or for a majority of southern england - it was always forecast as mostly light but persistent snow, and thats what it will be

2) keeping an eye on the radar is the only way to forecast this one - its an upper front, the surface interaction with the front is very much uncertain

Other than that the biggest problem has always and will be the drifting of the snow coming down along with the stuff already on the ground.

Then as we head into next week the likelihood of at least a spell of snow, whether or not it turns to rain is very much up in the air

SK

Nice realistic post - thanks Snow King. Exactly as Mr Angwin had it yesterday and as Ian has it today.