Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

It's been the same here in Great Wakering, I think maybe we have been lucky!!

yes it seems to have been clipping this part only mainly. I suppose it makes a change from all the time its hitting further inland and missing us. Can't see any local people missing out over the next few days though :D

in fact postcode zoom this area on NW radar and a nice chunk that i can't see failing to hit most of Essex.. Again could be wrong but seems to be heading West enough

Edited by eveeeinessex

Posted

Hi guys

A couple of pictures for you - really enjoying this winter!

Pictures were taken in Tatsfield, near to where I live in Biggin Hill. We've seen quite a bit more snow this afternoon, luckily have all provisions now. Let's see what tonight holds :D

Hi Scrat good snowfall for us today temps are below -2c and Mr Deacon did say 20cms for the hills . We seem to have a lot more snow on the Downs than surrounding areas.

Posted

Can someone on here spare a thought for us snow starved londoners? Nobody looks after us and let's us know what we are likely to see. We have now had four very near misses with snow and one decent fall that was restricted to us in the northern and western suburbs. Yes we know Kent gets snow, but this is not going to be a classic cold spell unless central London bags 7cm plus at some point. I'm starting to lose faith, all the snow is in the same old places. Any advice or forecasts for us londoners?

I said it earlier but someone said I was just complaining and that it was just a theory, in fact i've said it a zillion times this week:

All the good stuff will go to the south and east of London because the steering winds are NNE/NE and have been throughout the last few days generally - hence the disaster for London.

Winds turn more direct Eaterly for Monday - just in time for some light sleet.

We should get couple more cm's of transient pish off this mess that's coming from the continent though so at least we get something.

For our neck of the woods I'm praying for an unexpected surprise to appear.

BTW I think we have now been within 20 miles from big snow attacks in all directions and missed out now.

Fingers crossed for you and me that something freakish happens soon :D

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

VERY good hailshower going through here , rattling the windows again!!

Canterbury watch out :D

Posted

Do you have a timeframe dave when this front will get to London?

Let me make a guesscast. It won't, but Kent will get 10-20 cm. Just a wild guess.

Posted

I really can't see sleet/rain personally but could be wrong. Have you not had much today? We're right on East Beach so catching the edge and thats been pretty much non stop. Enough to stop buses coming out to Shoebury this evening according to the 2 drivers I spoke to so they are obviously expecting more. Everything is still heading in for this are though and we are still under a severe weather warning until midnight tomorrow, so more to come yet.

Yeah. Done very well today. Prob another 4cm. So no complaints. But I was concerned about these marginal dp's 48hrs ago. And from what ive read on here it looks nailed on sleet or wet snow at best overnight. Of course would love that to be wrong, but its an all to often problem here. Whats the air temp and dp for us on xc weather mate? Not able to check it out atm.

Posted

It gets very confusing on here during these periods!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood the 'main' event isn't expect to arrive until later on tonight and through out tomorrow (hence the SWW lasting till tomorrow 23.59). The snow bands or showers which some areas have seen today are not part of this, so if it was snowing in your area earlier but now isn't, it's just because those showers have passed but the main front is yet to arrive.

How much snow falls and where is really, as Steve is having to point out so many times, is up in the air until it hits our shores and we can determine what goes on at that point (convection, wind direction, DP's etc)

So everyone take a deep old breath, watch the TV, have some dinner and take a break from watching every weather forecast on the BBC, ITV, Sky News, C5, CNN and following blobs on the radar. Enjoy whatever snow some of you have had instead! I do think a lot of this is being missed because of being glued to a PC/Laptop screen!

Posted

We've actually moved to Staplehurst just before Christmas, but sadly I'm stuck with this username lol which tends to cause some confusion admittedly.  :unknw: I seem to be within the western edge of the shower train, the eastern edge being Ashford way and all points in between here and Ashford having significant snowfall :yahoo:

Think that explains it, full on from those NE showers, you seeem to be on a that track that's not so hilly between Faversham and You. Maidstone and here are quite protected (to some extent) from that wind track by Detling and Bluebell Hills!

So what's your "prog" for tonight???

Posted

Glad it's not just me. When, if ever, is London going to get smashed?

You got whacked in Feb 09... well, whacked as in 3 inches, compared to the zero we got here! :yahoo:

We need to watch out for a Beast from the ESE. Low pressure moving west from the continent bringing seriously cold air with it. Check wetterzentrale archive for 13 Jan 1987 and Feb 6 1991. We need that.

Posted

We've actually moved to Staplehurst just before Christmas, but sadly I'm stuck with this username lol which tends to cause some confusion admittedly:unknw: I seem to be within the western edge of the shower train, the eastern edge being Ashford way and all points in between here and Ashford having significant snowfall :yahoo:

In which case could you update your profile to show Staplehurst ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

SW london is useless for snow, its always snow shadowed by hills or on the margins of fronts. easteries dont usually quite deliver it far west enough. things always peter out before they get to us pretty much. only exception is febuary 2009... caused by some sort of thames streamer.

Posted

:unknw: I also have a mad labrador!!

Let's hope we get some more tonight and tomorrow, on the News 24 forecast a few moments ago Monday looked pretty good too! :yahoo:

don't you just love their boundless energy :yahoo: lol

this snow event has been great so far! bound to be more enjoying it while it lasts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Yeah. Done very well today. Prob another 4cm. So no complaints. But I was concerned about these marginal dp's 48hrs ago. And from what ive read on here it looks nailed on sleet or wet snow at best overnight. Of course would love that to be wrong, but its an all to often problem here. Whats the air temp and dp for us on xc weather mate? Not able to check it out atm.

At the moment for Southend its 0c temp, -1 dew. Keeping fingers crossed not just for us here, but for all you local posters :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Sutton Valence area. Yeah you guessed roughly right good.gif I seem to be within the western edge of the shower train, the eastern edge being Ashford way and all points in between here and Ashford having significant snowfall smile.gif

Yep - it does indeed seem to have been a pretty narrow area that has seen the heaviest almost constant snowfall over the last 2 days

Snow levels here now compare to those in March 2005 ( then had 16 consecutive days of snowfall - and was very localised ) but as that was so late in winter it mostly went pretty soon after ( though I remember going out for a cycle ride in shorts & tshirt 2 weeks after in early april and there still being the remnants of drifts )

Still snowing here albeit more sporadic and lighter than earlier today. Temps did go up to 1c but have fallen back a little now to 0.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

It gets very confusing on here during these periods!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood the 'main' event isn't expect to arrive until later on tonight and through out tomorrow (hence the SWW lasting till tomorrow 23.59). The snow bands or showers which some areas have seen today are not part of this, so if it was snowing in your area earlier but now isn't, it's just because those showers have passed but the main front is yet to arrive.

How much snow falls and where is really, as Steve is having to point out so many times, is up in the air until it hits our shores and we can determine what goes on at that point (convection, wind direction, DP's etc)

So everyone take a deep old breath, watch the TV, have some dinner and take a break from watching every weather forecast on the BBC, ITV, Sky News, C5, CNN and following blobs on the radar. Enjoy whatever snow some of you have had instead! I do think a lot of this is being missed because of being glued to a PC/Laptop screen!

HAHAHA!! its funny because its SO TRUE, espcially that last bit.

Posted

You got whacked in Feb 09... well, whacked as in 3 inches, compared to the zero we got here! :yahoo:

We need to watch out for a Beast from the ESE. Low pressure moving west from the continent bringing seriously cold air with it. Check wetterzentrale archive for 13 Jan 1987 and Feb 6 1991. We need that.

Yes 2 feb 09 was epic. Six inches in Ealing, a foot in some parts of gtr London. need something like that, just a couple of inches in town would be plenty though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Good Evening everybody. Due to the pathetic covering snow here in South London I ventured out to Oxted and Westerham to get a taste of real snow. And fabulous it was. We started off with a little sledging in Purley then drove out to Oxted - getting lost in Westerham on the way. Proper snow was falling, gently covering the roads, blowing across fields smoothed with days of snow and ended up trying out all the available ales in a fantastic pub - the Royal Oak in Staffhurst Wood watching it snow from a cosy bar. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :clap:

Sadly I had to come home, and although it was snowing lightly giving a slight covering to Wednesdays snow, I find, as I excitedly returned to the forum/radar, that it is perhaps all over bar the whining. No Met Office warning update, a bit of light precip, and everyone bemoaning the last of intensity :)

Can anyone help me out with a more positive forecast? Where is the easterly? Frist New Year, then Saturday - then sunday - now monday.... :)

Posted

To all those in London. Just be pateint and one day you will get another thames streamer. That deliver the real business. Gave 6 inches here over night on feb 2nd and we didnt even get hit the hardest!

One day.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

Thanks but we will now be hit with a wall of silence from our "drat the snows stopped and we only have 10cm" friends in Kent.

Tell me about it. Having a good ol' cry coz it's melting. As if we care.

Posted

Still snowing in Brighton quiet heavy and has been snowing for about 2 and a bit hours ,long may it continuerolleyes.gif

Posted

Let me make a guesscast. It won't, but Kent will get 10-20 cm. Just a wild guess.

I to share your pain, the amount of time snow seems to dissapate over TW1 fustrates me immensley

Though there is always a 0.000005% chance something may happen this weekend :)