Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

We got 1cm here this afternoon.

BBC Weather latest forecast shows a MASSIVE upgrade for Monday... Widespread snowfall for the whole of England?!

I think that's backside covering. I didn't hear Dan Corbett really ramp it in his presentation...

Posted

Tried to get Mrs Downpour to go but she moaned something about it being too cold. Hanger Hill Park was great in Ealing on Thursday but we need a top up now. Did people in N/S/SE London get a cm or two today?

We got a fresh covering from this afternoon's "event". yay!

Posted

I hope a slight detection of negativity isn't creeping in for Londoners. The forecast is superb for snow to become widespread across the region, and Monday looks good as well. Of course there is some favourable rural areas that will over shadow any of our snowfall, but for all of tonight beyond 9pm, it's looking overcast with snow, heavy at times.

Well said,

We in London, are coupled with Counties who by right will get more Snow. Id they get 3 inches well

get 2-5 cms...Its natural coupled with our City.......We get odd occasions...like 91, Feb 09 etc#

where we do VERY well...But I am have enjoyed this cold spell as East London is seeing lying snow

ice, Snow showers and a spell which to me is fantastic...Im glad Kent Sussex etc are getting heavy

snow as we see some of that too :unknw:

Bring me a Channel Low though on Wednesday :doh:

Posted

No, my snow just melted. Shall I tell everyone it's melting? Because, obviously, everyone cares about that.

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky here in the western suburbs that we have a) had a dump :unknw: it hasn't thawed at all away from the gritted pavements

Posted

LeighShrimper - assume you're still on mobile and can't see the radar? Latest 1900 one shows light pink just touching the centre of Southend, with a couple miles behind the darker pinks following. Hope it makes it past Southend and just doesn't stop like it so often does!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Yep..confirmed on Weatheronline at 19:00, Southend DP down to -3c

Gravesend DP dropped from -1.7c to -3.3c at 19:00. Good sign ! :unknw:

Posted

Tried to get Mrs Downpour to go but she moaned something about it being too cold. Hanger Hill Park was great in Ealing on Thursday but we need a top up now. Did people in N/S/SE London get a cm or two today?

Just about a cm here in Charlton, would have loved to have another Feb 09 that was delicious lol

Posted

We got a fresh covering from this afternoon's "event". yay!

Good to hear buddy, it seems the extreme SE of London actually may have done even better. Any snow reports from the outer SE lands. May venture there sledding tomorrow if it's worth it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

We got a cm or so from the snow this afternoon. Hasnt snowed now for a couple of hours. Hoping for more tonight/tomorrow. Fear im just too far north west of the heaviest stuff. Its all streaming into north-west Kent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

I agree. And I am also doubtful about tonight. Looking like a Kent event yet again. I hope to be pleasantly surprised in the morning. But I think I will be stuck with my 1-2 inches of old gear (which I accept is more than our brethren in central and south London have)

NOT ALL KENT PEOPLE WHINGE WHEN IT STOPS. I HAVE ONLY GOT A CM OF SNOW SINCE 2PM. LOT OF DRIFTING.

Posted

I agree. And I am also doubtful about tonight. Looking like a Kent event yet again. I hope to be pleasantly surprised in the morning. But I think I will be stuck with my 1-2 inches of old gear (which I accept is more than our brethren in central and south London have)

Not quite... we've had more snow here in Reigate! :)

Posted

It seems to get more confusing! :)

Had a lovely afternoon here with around 3 hours of moderate to very heavy blowing snow, around another 3-4cms i would say.

Just seen Francis Wilson on Sky and his forcast is totally different from the dreary chap that was just on the beeb! Francis is going for 4-5inches across parts of Essex and the SE overnight and the other chap said a few showers or flurries, i mean come on, thats a huge difference :) !!

Whats it to be? Anybody have a clue :lol: ?

Matt :good:

Francis Wilson is very good especially during the winter months. In the 1980's Francis forecast rain would definitely turn to snow, but all of the other forecasters said it would only rain. Lo and behold, I woke up the next day with 6 inches of snow. Francis is someone to listen to especially with our current very cold period. Here are some recent snap shots of forecasts by Francis......

post-2721-12630647087642_thumb.jpg

post-2721-12630647193242_thumb.jpg

post-2721-12630647288542_thumb.jpg

post-2721-12630647399942_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not quite... we've had more snow here in Reigate! :)

Eh? Since when was Reigate in London?!

Had an extra 2cm this afternoon. Have 9cm's now

Jan

What are the good sledging areas in Bromley Jan?

I wouldnt get excited about Monday-

the beeb showing snow for the whole of the UK doesnt = heavy snow for everyone- ( more like heavy 'no')

UKMO for monday

UW48-21.GIF?09-18

Doesnt really indicate much snow- a decaying front over the UK & some convective snow over the UK- the rest having a few grains here & there----

Dont waste yet more excitment-

as for this eve- radar still drawing a blank for NW kent, SE london, pretty much all of essex & Suffolk- just the central kent residents- although its more focussed up towards sittingbourne at the moment-

what a load of pische so far in terms of PPN..

I have -2c here in Eltham sainsburys car parks as well- all frozen up waiting for more snow...

Good sledging in Bromley is Keston ponds-

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Temp here is 0.2 and dropping , dp -2.2

snowing in wind, nothing major. atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Francis Wilson is very good especially during the winter months. In the 1980's Francis forecast rain would definitely turn to snow, but all of the other forecasters said it would only rain. Lo and behold, I woke up the next day with 6 inches of snow. Francis is someone to listen to especially with our current very cold period. Here are some recent snap shots of forecasts by Francis......

Hey, that gives me some hope, probably mean some constant lamppost watching tonight then (reports of light snow now coming in from the kitchen window)

Posted

What are the good sledging areas in Bromley Jan?

nowhere in Bromley. Biggin hill about 4 miles away is brilliant but hard to get to when there's lots of snow on the road

Jan

Posted

I wouldnt get excited about Monday-

the beeb showing snow for the whole of the UK doesnt = heavy snow for everyone- ( more like heavy 'no')

UKMO for monday

http://www.meteociel...48-21.GIF?09-18

Doesnt really indicate much snow- a decaying front over the UK & some convective snow over the UK- the rest having a few grains here & there----

Dont waste yet more excitment-

as for this eve- radar still drawing a black for NW kent, SE london, pretty much all of essex & Suffolk- just the central kent residents- although its more focussed up towards sittingbourne at the moment-

what a load of pische so far in terms of PPN..

I have -2c here in Eltham sainsburys car parks as well- all frozen up waiting for more snow...

Good sledging in Bromley is Keston ponds-

Steve

As I thought – Thanks Steve. I think the best best for us Londoners is to count our blessings that the transport system still works and head to the extreme SE of the capital (eg Bromley, Gtr London - it's not really in Kent) and get on our sledges there. They got a decent top up today which should be nice in the morning.

Posted

Well said,

We in London, are coupled with Counties who by right will get more Snow. Id they get 3 inches well

get 2-5 cms...Its natural coupled with our City.......We get odd occasions...like 91, Feb 09 etc#

where we do VERY well...But I am have enjoyed this cold spell as East London is seeing lying snow

ice, Snow showers and a spell which to me is fantastic...Im glad Kent Sussex etc are getting heavy

snow as we see some of that too :good:

Bring me a Channel Low though on Wednesday :)

I agree. Having the afternoon in Richmond Park today really made me appreciate it has been an amazing cold spell for London too and also realised that the snow totals haven't been completely insignificant but not too bad really, away from the very central 2 miles of town where every surface has been gritted anyway!

The ice on the large frozen lakes in the park was thick enough to walk right across - the wind was blowing, snow was falling, deer were running about amongst the tussocks and woods - it felt positively arctic over there today. took some pics which i will post later.

OK i know walking on frozen lakes isnt a good idea from a health and safety point of view etc etc but it was amazing to be able to do it - first time in more than 15 years i've been able to - and never thought i'd be able to do it right in London amidst such a wintery scene.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

Who is the best person to listen to about the weather?

Current Temp in Burgess Hill

-0.3 and Dew -2.5

Edited by jojobut

Posted

Sorry, I was trying to point out it's not just Kent... it is moving further west!

Steve, I'm surprised to see you so despondent re the snow? Do you think this will continue to be localised?

Posted

Once the wind which incidently is quite stubborn in the fact it's got a more NNE direction to it (The main reason why Kent is getting bucket loads), becomes a more EASTERLY, slight NE as predicted, then London will get this good stuff (Powdery Snow) blowing in.

I think tonight/overnight, into tomorrow morning, there after a brief lull during the early afternoon, then in to Monday, through to Weds, it will be excellent for some half decent snowfall. I predict we will see some surprises during next week, before maybe less cold weather may bring a very slow thaw, then a reload is possible, with an even colder blast from the east. Very exciting times ahead for cold enthusiasts, but at the same time, there are people that are genuinely suffering from this cold spell, and it's causing hardship, and potential life threatning circumstances to the obvious vulnerable.

What ever your view, how good, bad this spell as been for you, this cold spell will go down in history, and remember it's only early January, I think there will a lot more to come, though not necessarily for the SE as such.