Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The showers have definitely died out now and the temperatures are rising - we have +1C currently.shok.gif

Temps rising here was -2.5c earlier now -1.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Thanks everyone for clearing up the radar question :)

Ok, I've now read a bit more and by the looks of it, I'm not going to get much sleep tomorrow night - Glad I got my NW xtra radar sub when I did :)

Temp here has just hit -1.3º, the highest of the day so far, so it looks like they could be creeping up a little

DP stands at -5.5º and the wind chill is knocking temps back to -4.7º

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

All quiet here on the westside and the eastside of yorkshire :cc_confused:

Looking forward to sunday eve/mon am. [just hope its not another ruined snowatching day!]

Am i right in thinking snow showers should hit bradford/leeds from around 2/3pm sunday?

[just come back from pub ,so my mind is a bit cloudy:drinks:]

Posted

All quiet here on the westside and the eastside of yorkshire :cc_confused:

Looking forward to sunday eve/mon am. [just hope its not another ruined snowatching day!]

Am i right in thinking snow showers should hit bradford/leeds from around 2/3pm sunday?

[just come back from pub ,so my mind is a bit cloudy:drinks:]

should be latest 5pm! mood on the forum is down with people thinking theres a breakdown with the cold! i dont think it will happen and could get a reload in a weeks time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm waiting to see what happens tomorrow. Been in the model thread and it's given me a headache lol.

Would be nice to get another dumping ontop of the 6-7 inches we have. The main thing is to remember that there is another 2ish months + March left of Winter.

Posted

Our pipes are starting to freeze up from bathroom down to drains, any advice?

So can anyone tell me in percentage terms what my chances of a dumping are tomorrow night? I know nothing can be predicted accurately but...rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Nicked this from TWO site

icon-quote.gif

NickR:
icon-quote.gif
nick:
army put on stand bye for kent,due to heavy snow,they have already been called in to do meals on wheels in there 4x4,s for the elderly,bbc 24 news was reporting live from the closed m20 at maidstone.

Pansies.icon_smile_dead.gif

We've had that for over a week and no such fuss has been made.emotion-13.gif

Southern softies!!!

Whoah! Just had a goose over at the model thread , Man it gets nasty over there!

Loads of sniping /bickering, gonna just stay here in future! :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Our pipes are starting to freeze up from bathroom down to drains, any advice?

So can anyone tell me in percentage terms what my chances of a dumping are tomorrow night? I know nothing can be predicted accurately but...rolleyes.gif

Hot water? Check for leaky taps as the slow flow of water will freeze and cause the water to back up. If this happens overnight in a sink, the results could be somewhat undesired.

Next door's fall pipe is totally frozen from a leak somewhere. Guessing a dripping tap but it could be an overflow as there is water running under the ice which looks so eery.

As for tomorrow, I doubt anyone can until the PPN gets here. Gonna be one of them events I suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Guessing a dripping tap but it could be an overflow as there is water running under the ice which looks so eery.

You say eery - I say cool!! :D I'd love to see that in action! I spotted a drain pipe earlier that was coated from top to bottom, 360º in about a half inch of clear ice. I've not seen so many icicles for a *very* long time

There's a house in the centre of our village that has some kind of foliage growing up the front. The dripping water from the roof has landed on it and most, if not all, of the leaves have icicles on them! it looks stunning!

If I can get out and up there tomorrow, I'll try and get a photo

Posted

my mum n dads bedroom window has a 10inch iccicle hanging in the middle! what a sight to wake up to haha!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting parts of northern England, the Midlands and eastern Wales. Outbreaks of snow developing on Sunday will become heavier and more persistent during late afternoon or evening and persistent through the night and into Monday morning. 5 to 15cm of fresh level snow is expected widely with 20-30cm locally. Drifting in the very strong winds will cause even greater accumulations in places. Disruption to transport networks and icing on power lines is possible.

It is expected that this Early Warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

Issued at: 1211 Sat 9 Jan

Met Office now have a warning out for Yorkshire from 18:00 tommorow to 12:00 monday.

Have been looking at the models and to be honest the snow does not look that heavy, however the BBC shows it non-stop really, either way, by the end f Monday, it looks likely that combines with the last fall, there could be a foot of snow in my garden.

Posted

The thing is, according the the NW and raintoday radars, it's has been snowing for at least a hour here, but we've had nothing since mid afternoon!! think there's some false positves bouncing back - off the lying snow maybe?

I'm getting a little confused about tomorrow and mondays event, from what I can gather, this area is going to get something, not too heavy, but very persistant, for quite some hours and all this should be starting around mid afternoon-ish.

is that right, or is it supposed to be showers, or only a possibilty than anything will make it here?

Tommorows event should begin here between 3pm and 6pm, precipitation looks moderate, though it is in the form of an upper warm front visable on the chart below, so there should be no break in the precipitation.

http://scandinavia.meteox.com/image.ashx?type=last&time=201001100230&rnd=2178

Posted

BBC weather seem to have downgraded the snow event this afternoon/ evening. Went from saying we were going to have 15-20 locally 30cm of snow. Now sying 5cm over hills and a few centemeters at lower levels.

I suspect it will be some way between the two - perhaps 10cm of so - another nice top up :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Certainly downgraded for the sarf east.The precipitation obviously not as heavy,but it is still on its journey over the North Sea at the moment ,lets see what occurs.We will know before long,radars at the readysmile.gif .Pennines can do the business,hopefully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Hooray, 2.6C here and thawing.

Doesn't look nearly so bad for tomorrow

either. A bit of relief for poor man n beast

suffering during these long snowy few weeks.

BL :)

Posted

Surprising to see some unexpected milder air within the easterly - only 0c outside. Dissapointing as a max of 0c was forecast last night. Could get up to 2 or 3 degrees today :)

Posted

Yes, there's been quite a thaw here since I went to bed last night and it's currently raining and the snow is starting to disappear. Perhaps today's ppn will fall as rain and this will be an end to it all in time for Monday morning rush hour.

Currently +1C dew -1C and rain.

Posted

I asume your post means something to you; I hope so as it certainly means nothing whatever to me-why make such a post?

Posted

Very much a case of West is Best today either that or some serious elavation, quite a notable thaw going on, whilst i expected a rise in temps i didn't think it would be this much! Dew Points still remain favourable so if the precipitation is heavy enough there might be some snow here, looking at the latest NMM Model it don't look good for those in the East, areas around South & West Yorks should be ok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Good morning John.Any thoughts on the orographic side of things today?Being based in Huddersfield i am thinking things could get interesting as evening approaches.