Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

From last post of last thread....

This would be the man made global warming toe-rags worst nightmare. I doubt though that most of them aren't even aware that all the source of earth's energy comes from the sun!biggrin.gif

Yep... This bit made me giggle!

"But many scientists, on both sides of the argument, agree that going back further in time, the sun has played a bigger role in determining global temperatures."

Apart from the sun's heat there's only radioactive decay in the earth itself and that has to have a constant half life! So there cannot be a bigger variable than the sun's output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

posted in the last thread just before it was closed, does anyone know if this was going to be of snow its heading our way

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

More than likely, but its heading well north of here

Posted

I can't see us in kent getting any more significant snowfall today, they are using that as a headline but the forecast is'nt backing it up :unknw:

Posted

I aint listening to weather forcasts anymore, I'm going to just look out the window!

Posted

BBC News is STILL suggesting more snow on the way for kent and the army are on stand-by :unknw:

must be to do with this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241988/Met-Office-warns-20cm-MORE-snow-today-tomorrow-Army-standby-help.html

Guest archiesmummy

morning guys, well very surprised this morning, no snow which i had come to realise last night but something different.

start of a thaw!!!!! is 2.1 temp here and had quarter of an inch of rain last night, ok may have been icy but none the less....will wait and see if anything else happens but seems more attracted to kent!!!

think the regulars on here are great btw...i really enjoy reading what they have to say and if it isnt spot on i dont cry or get upset, i think oh well lets get on regardless, its only snow..... it is hard to predict the weather.

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

Slight melt going on here even though we have a meagre 1" apprently we're due to have drizzle in London, but other sites reporting snow/sleet its around 0c atm. I think London's had its chips on snow now cc_confused.gif

Posted

I think to call what's happening here in reigate as a 'thaw' as i did earlier could well be wrong... yes, some snow is melting, mostly off roofs and cars and the road looks a bit clearer, but there's still 6 inches of snow in my garden... that is going to take a few days to shift if the temp remains around 1c!

Posted

I can't see that happening :/ if they were saying that there would have been an early warning by now O.o

Are the media trying to scaremonger ppl ?? Possibly more where the radar's are depicting it but media should'nt be saying that should they ???

Posted

WELL DONE to all those people on here that got the forecast right - there is no snow, there is no strong wind, just a slight breeze amd the temp has picked and started a thaw. The MetOffice got it COMPLETELY WRONG! It is now snowing snow grains and making the floor very wet.

Posted

I think to call what's happening here in reigate as a 'thaw' as i did earlier could well be wrong... yes, some snow is melting, mostly off roofs and cars and the road looks a bit clearer, but there's still 6 inches of snow in my garden... that is going to take a few days to shift if the temp remains around 1c!

Indeed same here in Reigate. My weather station currently showing a dewpoint of -1c and temp 1.3c . still looks ok out there

Posted

Getting the odd sleet shower here, mix of rain sleet and snow depending on intensity - although its fairly light at best.

There is hardly any wind, was expecting over the weekend a 'biting easterly' to chill me to the bone, any ideas where it ended up?

Posted

So is that it then guys? i have got up and no more snow and it is thawing ,am dissapointed but not surprised ,any idea as to what is in for the day down here?cc_confused.gif

Posted

Indeed same here in Reigate. My weather station currently showing a dewpoint of -1c and temp 1.3c . still looks ok out there

Glad it's the same with you as we are in the same town!

Posted

First thing Kent and most of Britain have got temperatures from 1 to 3C at this present time, and this was to be expected.

Second thing, Snow will hit Kent, Sussex, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk for sure but its still over the low countries at this time and still far too much going on to say what the outcome will be. At this present moment it looks liek everything is falling into place on the mdeium and long range radar systems, short range such as your free 30 minute one at BBC and UKMO will not really show the snow at this moment, it will in due course but its out of that range. The front is coming this way, it is solid and it is moving about and growing in parts.

The big unknown question is how much moisture it wil soak up in the north sea that is about 9C. If as forecast it grows quickly then "YES" we would get hit. The UKMO only have skeleton staff on Sunday's and the update will always be slow even for a warning they are holding on as they can not be 100% sure of timing now.

I hope that clears all that up. Its thawing at Whitstable, but also keeps grain snowing as well, the whole of Kent is covered with flurries, but nothing signigicant at this moment.

Posted

First thing Kent and most of Britain have got temperatures from 1 to 3C at this present time, and this was to be expected.

Second thing, Snow will hit Kent, Sussex, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk for sure but its still over the low countries at this time and still far too much going on to say what the outcome will be. At this present moment it looks liek everything is falling into place on the mdeium and long range radar systems, short range such as your free 30 minute one at BBC and UKMO will not really show the snow at this moment, it will in due course but its out of that range. The front is coming this way, it is solid and it is moving about and growing in parts.

The big unknown question is how much moisture it wil soak up in the north sea that is about 9C. If as forecast it grows quickly then "YES" we would get hit. The UKMO only have skeleton staff on Sunday's and the update will always be slow even for a warning they are holding on as they can not be 100% sure of timing now.

I hope that clears all that up. Its thawing at Whitstable, but also keeps grain snowing as well, the whole of Kent is covered with flurries, but nothing signigicant at this moment.

Thanks,there is still hope then ,lets keep our fingers and toes crossedrolleyes.gif

Posted

Thanks,there is still hope then ,lets keep our fingers and toes crossedrolleyes.gif

Yes you need to be looking at Germany an dthe low countries as this is where the snow warning is coming from, its a run along the line in effect, all our snow is originating far east of this and Germany at this time is taking a pounding!