Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Thats a positive note PureOcean, do you think its a possibility that London ( Greenwich area ) is likely to get any if at all ??? Working overtime today Greenwich town centre, would love to have a downpour while I'm there lol

It is very hard to be specific to a town at this point, but I see no reason to suggest that London and indeed Greenwich will not not miss out. It is looking like it will be more of a front type event rather than small showers which will mean that you will probably receive a snow fall. Trouble is situations do change and we are talking about 6 to 18 hours away, all I know is that the satellite images, radar and presnt reports are all positive, that is why the television bunch keep on saying its coming also. As I sit here now, I believe that the front of Germany will hit us and deliver some good snow, I believe the front in teh north sea off Ntherlands will go further north and I believe in the mean time we will see lots of small snow flurries/showers (I have had 5 since 7am on the coast) - The north sea sky looks full of snow. The other key thing is the wind has eased some, more than was expected at this moment, so that also signifies a far better snow event because the snow will fall better rather than drift!

Posted

don't go as far as that...try trosley country park it's at the top of wrotham hill (entrance via vigo village on the road from wrotham to gravesend before meopham) and you can sledge from top to bottom of the downs spent my 80's snow days there.

m20 turn off

Thanks very much!!!

Posted

Morning Folks

Just driven into Central London from Lewisham, melt is well underway and a very light rain falling...

Cheers

FC

Posted

Just drizzle here, temps 0.8.

Even though it's just above freezing, quite a quick thaw underway, and was since 01:00

My snow is ruined :)

..... and for the recommendation of Trosley CP for sledging.....watch out for the tree stumps!!

Edited by Halling Weather

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Is the NW radar working accurately at the moment? We are having periods of up to moderate snow here that the radar just hasn't shown at all. Mind you I prefer that than the other way round.

Posted

Morning. What a pile of pish. Well done to steve m and others who called it spot on and early. Dripfest here, with sleet and the odd flake speeding up the slush process. Hate days like this, not nice to be out in at all. Whats happening today then? Im guessing with these dp's and air temps around the region, the snow threat is diminishing by the minute? Oh well, bring on the reload. If we get one.

Posted

Thx PureOcean thats made me feel a lot better, I wondered about the wind easing somewhat, if indications are going right we may possibly have a Thames streamer ( sticking neck out here ) if winds vere Easterly, thx for the updates btw rolleyes.gif

Posted

PureOcean

Are you not in any way shape or form worried about what will fall from the sky, It has been pure rain and steady and Moderate at times here since I woke up, the Snow has a layer of glaze over the top now and when I popped out it felt pretty tropical in relation to the last 4-5 days, this Beasterly certainly is a nice snug fella compared to the Cold NorEaster :)

Paul S

Posted

Morning everyone! Well, looks like the "amateurs" on here got it right and the "professionals" in media were wrong - for here anyway. None of the heavy snow on the local BBC forecast fell here overnight and it looks as if there is a thaw underway.

Very cloudy here - so maybe some snow en route but I can't see that we'll get anything like the 10-15 cm that the BBC have been forecasting for us.

Someone needs to wake the bbc weather team up! flurries for the sw is now turning into an area of proper snow and no mention of some snow heading west out of the low countries, add that to the useless forecasts yesterday and a very poor 24 hrs for them IMO.

I used to have a lot of respect for the met office and BBC weather teams.

At times, now, they seem quite clueless and forecasts are cleverly worded to cover more than one outcome.

After 45 years of weather watching i, like many of the seasoned watchers, was not surprised by this general non event.

Stick to Nick, Steve et all.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

Ok this is a novice question here, judging by the look of this surface pressure map from MetO that red line is a warm front does that constitute the thaw that everyone is talking about ??? I do believe that the high pressure is moving north and the low pressure is pushing up from the Atlantic possibly losing our cold air ..... a return to Atlantic low pressure systems ???

Posted

PureOcean

Are you not in any way shape or form worried about what will fall from the sky, It has been pure rain and steady and Moderate at times here since I woke up, the Snow has a layer of glaze over the top now and when I popped out it felt pretty tropical in relation to the last 4-5 days, this Beasterly certainly is a nice snug fella compared to the Cold NorEaster :lol:

Paul S

Yep but thats just you in Essex, I am across the water and have been having snow flakes and grain snow constantly all morning. I agree a lot of issues going on but you have to keep your eye on the bigger picture not the immediate by the minute localized one. :)

But who knows.... lets just wait and see what the next 18 hours brings, it will either be the planned snow, or nothing... geeze the way the weather has been playing round I would not hold off a beach day and 30C sunshine :yahoo:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

Ok this is a novice question here, judging by the look of this surface pressure map from MetO that red line is a warm front does that constitute the thaw that everyone is talking about ??? I do believe that the high pressure is moving north and the low pressure is pushing up from the Atlantic possibly losing our cold air ..... a return to Atlantic low pressure systems ???

Well if that was the theory then it shoudl be +30c in Moscow instead of -20C and deep snow.... :)

Seriously, some of the points you raised are correct, but its not as simple as that, I really wish it was though, means we could just check the charts once a day! :)

Posted

After 45 years of weather watching i, like many of the seasoned watchers, was not surprised by this general non event.

Stick to Nick, Steve et all.

Can you put your location in your profile please so we can all see where it was a non-event for you? Cheers!

Well all the snow from yesterday is still with us, but like others, it's 0.9 DgC today and a partial thaw has started.

Posted

First thing Kent and most of Britain have got temperatures from 1 to 3C at this present time, and this was to be expected.

Second thing, Snow will hit Kent, Sussex, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk for sure but its still over the low countries at this time and still far too much going on to say what the outcome will be. At this present moment it looks liek everything is falling into place on the mdeium and long range radar systems, short range such as your free 30 minute one at BBC and UKMO will not really show the snow at this moment, it will in due course but its out of that range. The front is coming this way, it is solid and it is moving about and growing in parts.

The big unknown question is how much moisture it wil soak up in the north sea that is about 9C. If as forecast it grows quickly then "YES" we would get hit. The UKMO only have skeleton staff on Sunday's and the update will always be slow even for a warning they are holding on as they can not be 100% sure of timing now.

I hope that clears all that up. Its thawing at Whitstable, but also keeps grain snowing as well, the whole of Kent is covered with flurries, but nothing signigicant at this moment.

Well its raining at Heathrow at present and 2.5oC, its also +4oC in Edinburgh both places clearly have a thaw set in. My worry is when the preceip arrives

from Holland and Belgium it will start to rain and wash away all the snow in the SEast. I cannot see temps falling back to freezing as we are now within

the forecasted warm sector. Expect the MO forecast at lunch time to dramatically change to margingal sleet and rain in the coming days. What time is Country file on ?

Posted

Just cloud cover here, snow melted from roofs etc and does not feel as cold. Not sure if there will be more from this spell and may have to wait for reload, but you never know as its the weather we are talking about

Posted

Someone needs to wake the bbc weather team up! flurries for the sw is now turning into an area of proper snow and no mention of some snow heading west out of the low countries, add that to the useless forecasts yesterday and a very poor 24 hrs for them IMO.

Yes I have to agree it was obvious to even the untrained amateur eye that decent precipitation to produce the snowfall predicted was lacking and indeed where it was to come from? the radars were looking quite dry and the convection precipitation just fizzled out from the SE after 2100.

I realise no one can control the weather so something scientific must have happened to cause this dry up meteorologically, i would be interested to read the NW experts thoughts and views on this especially after the ramping from the BBC/Skyweather and the news media. I suppose forewarned is forearmed but this was grossly over exaggerated!

Edited by Suttonian

Posted

Snow Snow Snow..... or Rain Rain Rain ..... or maybe Thaw Thaw Thaw....

Simply put this is an interesting day, with in general everyone seeing a thaw going one, snow about, rain about and even some lovely sleet. My kids just said "Dad will it snow again", my gut reaction is maybe later tonight, my brain reaction saying is a 40/60 call now, snow in the east for sure but will the cool air win against the mild air.

Well I got other things to do like trying to repair the blown down snowman, and told teh kids that it looks like a school day tomorrow for sure. :cold:

So over and out for me, have a good one everyone until later, and fingers crossed and a prayer to the snow god that we get bashed from the east!

Edited by PureOcean