Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Morning Folks

Just driven into Central London from Lewisham, melt is well underway and a very light rain falling...

Cheers

FC

You are missing out on the rare occurance of snow in SW France, my mum phoned last night and said it was quite bad in the Charente.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

http://www.weatheron...03&DAY=20100110

Sorry to put a dampener on things but tis lovely snowy weather is due to end soon ....

It does seem that is the case. But history shows us in past severe winters that mild spells occur then E's or NE's can set back in soon after. I anticipate this will happen particularly in Feb and March.

Posted

You are missing out on the rare occurance of snow in SW France, my mum phoned last night and said it was quite bad in the Charente.

Yes I know, my wife called me and said it is snowing again, this is the second Charentaise snow event of the winter, there is another snow day predicted for Tuesday too, not sure if it will come off though.

I am stuck in london at The France Show at Earls Court selling the wonderful climate of the Charente :-)

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

My parents live there! Was there before xmas and it looked fantastic under snow cover, even though it took us 23 hours to drive there.

Posted

Yes I have to agree it was obvious to even the untrained amateur eye that decent precipitation to produce the snowfall predicted was lacking and indeed where it was to come from? the radars were looking quite dry and the convection precipitation just fizzled out from the SE after 2100.

I realise no one can control the weather so something scientific must have happened to cause this dry up meteorologically, i would be interested to read the NW experts thoughts and views on this especially after the ramping from the BBC/Skyweather and the news media. I suppose forewarned is forearmed but this was grossly over exaggerated!

Spare a thought for steve murr who got lamped by some for saying no snow. Yet he was bang on. Well done steve murr, terrible forecasting by BBC and sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Snowing on and off here in Biggin Hill, doesn't look like a thaw here, at the moment anyway!

Posted

Its snowing here again,it is light but a least its snow lol,lets all keep positive and see what later brings,bye for now guysdrinks.gif

Posted

It does seem that is the case. But history shows us in past severe winters that mild spells occur then E's or NE's can set back in soon after. I anticipate this will happen particularly in Feb and March.

God I hope so, I hate the atlantic lows always bringing rainy crap lol ... But we're the brunt of atlantic lows and guard against the rest of europe or northern half lol

Posted

Well its snowing again here ,yes it is light but a least it is snow lol,lets keep positive and see what later on brings us,bye for now guysdrinks.gif

Posted

I am among the many that are very confused as to how this forecasted snow is a complete 'Non event'.

It seems the weather has gone a little ' T**s UP!'

Wales and the SW are getting snow as predicted this would happen later today. Francis Wilson said this would happen, but he also mentioned yesterday that the snow that Wales and the SW have now would fall yesterday evening, and this morning in to the afternoon before moving west. Well most of us can easily see, that it's diminished, and somehow, bizarely, our precipitaiton has vanished, and we are experiencing a slow thaw. Temps are slightly up, and there is no 'Cut through you' NE biting wind! Very misleading and confusing.

Powdery snow was due to blow around in the wind, moderate/light, dull leaden skies etc, etc, but as I look out of my window, well it's dry, snow melting, no precipitation for the last 8 hours here in West Essex!

But of a joke really for snow and cold enthusiasts.

I cannot see how powdery snow will fall today, unless in any precipitation the temps fall sharply. Me thinks maybe later today in to this evening will bring what has been forecast for us today. Kent, the far SE are getting what has been forecast, but as it's already been debated, the SE is bigger than Kent, and there is a lot of disappointment in here today.

Wierd feeling we've missed something here, the BBC & Sky News have us all dumbfounded at the minute. This has happend before, and I think some warmer air in and around us has caused some places to receive sleet and in some places drizzly rain!cc_confused.gif

My prediction is, for showers to continue to plague the coasts of EA and the SE, before some more general rain, sleet and snow crosses the region later on today, as by looking at the European radar, activity is brewing, although saying that, as it marches across Belgium, Holland, it seems to be becoming more and more patchy and isolated. A bit of a headache situation for weather forecasting.nonono.gif

Met Office have now backtracked on any in force warnings for the SE, except Kent and Sussex for today. I guess it's a NOWCAST situation we find ourselves in to rely on. Things can change quickly, so it's edge of your seat times if you want snow, get the cigars out if you want a thaw and less snow at the moment.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Guys don't worry i'm sure snow will come otherwise meto wouldn't have been so sure on heavy snow....if it can snow here in Cardiff it can where you are lol.

Doesn't always work that way , take last night for example and there completely underdone temps !

No doubt people are going to be confused again with whats going on-

Winds are N'easterly this morning- turning lighter Easterly later-

Whilst we have a thaw going on the temp & critically the WBPT & Dewpoint should remain at or just below zero-

What that means is an assortment of rain sleet & snow showers-

Lowland areas will see rain & sleet & snow in heavier showers -

Higher elevations & areas with extensive snowcover will see sleet & snow showers- missing the rain-

It wont stop the slow thaw though-- even the tops of the hills in kent will gradually get above freezing- but the process will be slower-

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

bbc now saying no snow for the south east including monday.

temps in colchester around 3c. thaw setting in and no ppn watsoever.

will the snow over wales move west or east toword us as the day goes on?

Posted

Snowing on and off here in Biggin Hill, doesn't look like a thaw here, at the moment anyway!

Snowing lightly here

Posted

bbc now saying no snow for the south east including monday.

temps in colchester around 3c. thaw setting in and no ppn watsoever.

will the snow over wales move west or east toword us as the day goes on?

It appears any snow that does come will move eastwards towards Wales from North Sea that looks the general pattern.

Posted

Well 1.8c and rising, dew point - 0.7c

Light Snow shower but thaw still underwaycray.gif

Posted

knole park maybe

A bit of local knowledge required, based in Ashford - have a 4x4 looking to take the girls sledging, we are not looking for 100mph hills - just somewhere we can have some fun without visiting A&E.

Lenham springs to mind, any others towards the coast ?

Posted

It appears any snow that does come will move eastwards towards Wales from North Sea that looks the general pattern.

It'll take a long time to get to Wales if it is moving east......

This morning in Reigate we have had a mix of drizzle and sleet, with currently very light snow.

Edit: now stopped.

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

Light snow here and 2 celsius, more snow than the sleety snizzle we had blowing about all night and morning so maybe it's the colder air pool sneaking in, don't think it will amount to anything but it looks seasonal none the less. :drunk::yahoo:

Posted

PureOcean

Are you not in any way shape or form worried about what will fall from the sky, It has been pure rain and steady and Moderate at times here since I woke up, the Snow has a layer of glaze over the top now and when I popped out it felt pretty tropical in relation to the last 4-5 days, this Beasterly certainly is a nice snug fella compared to the Cold NorEaster :)

Paul S

This thaw well underway here in London......Ive 1 patch of unhappy snow in the corner of my garden

Interesting where this warmer mix came from....Did we see wind change source the air over a warmer

North Sea?......Cant believe it was mixed in from a colder continent must have warmed up over our

lovely warm North Sea?

Shame but still has been a terrific colder spell even if snow depths werent that great. I just

enjoyed the swirl of cold air snow showers etc for the last week :)

Posted

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=203&DAY=20100110

Sorry to put a dampener on things but tis lovely snowy weather is due to end soon ....

This ties in well with what I think is going to happen for the end of January!

A slight Milder interlude for about 10 days starting on Wednesday and the next re-load taking shape on the 25th January, ECMWF Keeps it blocked and i'd expect the GFS & UKMO To come into line later part of this week, Worth Noting that Scotland only warms up to what levels we have today until Wednesday (Eg 2-4c) throughout the whole period so this could be an amazing Cold Spell for them "if" the Re-Load happens as I expect at the end of January.

If we do get another shot then hopefully Scandi will have cooled even further and we get that all important Wind angle for most of the populous parts!

Paul S