Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Peeps

I think the radars are struggling badly today, just had a Moderate Snow Shower with big 50p Flakes, but nothing near me on radar??

Paul S

you sure it wasnt a flurry of 'no' with 50p no flakes!!!!!!!! :cray:

Ive got a heavy snizzard here which is fun- bonus snizzard!!!!!!!

looking up at that sat pic with the isolines super imposed the winds are still unfavourable for much westerly movement.. real pity!!! maybe later

around teatime-

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs091.gif

Winds DIRECT Easterly then"!

S

Posted

so guys what is going on has the thaw started or is it that the winds came from a slightly different direction now. I am hoping for a dumping but not expecting any. Will the winds swing back to the east???? that is where most of our potential for se london beckenham is i always thinkwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

hmmm.. snow?? dumping??? well what would you say to this considering im just a tad bit north of you.... its raining here!!!

Posted

50p flakes on the south side Steve.

Edit, now have serious snizzle!

Edited by Jason H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Oh no! I didn't know this was going to happen. We were plannng a day sledging with the children today. But it's all melting!

just looking at where we are across the region-

I would say that INLAND parts away from the immeadiate coastline *COULD* get a dusting today ( if its heavy enough) as the wind swings round east-

I think the thaw continues unabated, especially in the North east corner of the region, western areas- especially SW areas like Sussex could fair a little it better from less thawing-

the Wind direction between 3pm & 9pm is almost perfect angle for the estuary- all be it without MUCH convection & cold uppers- we are lucky we still have a wedge of cold air...

Yes Jason- Im in eltham- other half in barnehurst says it was heavy for a short while- as above- maybe a little better for here this afternoon & eve-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Nick Sussex, Snowing slightly heavier now, but the radar has not picked up on this and temp is 1.5C Why is this?

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

Just had 45 minutes sat in the car in Saltwood, out the back of Hythe, Kent. Even though it was quite high up and snowed continuously (all the types in turns it seemed!) the thaw is beating the snow. Main roads clear. Side roads passable with care as the layer of compacted snow / ice turns slushy. The sad sight of slabs of snow slumping and falling off of cars.

Roll on the next bout!

Posted

just looking at where we are across the region-

I would say that INLAND parts away from the immeadiate coastline *COULD* get a dusting today ( if its heavy enough) as the wind swings round east-

I think the thaw continues unabated, especially in the North east corner of the region, western areas- especially SW areas like Sussex could fair a little it better from less thawing-

the Wind direction between 3pm & 9pm is almost perfect angle for the estuary- all be it without MUCH convection & cold uppers- we are lucky we still have a wedge of cold air...

Yes Jason- Im in eltham- other half in barnehurst says it was heavy for a short while- as above- maybe a little better for here this afternoon & eve-

S

I think theres a chance for a mini streamer, the upper air looks to be around -7 to -8, of course we don't want to talk this up too much in case it doesn't materialize and we're inundated by a flurry of grumpy toys out of prams posts!

Posted

hmmm.. snow?? dumping??? well what would you say to this considering im just a tad bit north of you.... its raining here!!!

happier here now as it has just started to snow againyahoo.gif

Posted

Nick Sussex, Snowing slightly heavier now, but the radar has not picked up on this and temp is 1.5C Why is this?

Strange! as for the temps well the dew points are still favourable especially inland, things might be more favourable a bit later, less sea modification as the wind changes more towards the ene/east.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Sooner this slushy sleety mess clears the better. Sun and average temps suits me for a couple of weeks. Then hopefully a reload of proper cold, that delivers for us all, rather than the lucky spots. Heavy snow shower as I type though. Maybe one last push, before its all over?

Posted

Strange! as for the temps well the dew points are still favourable especially inland, things might be more favourable a bit later, less sea modification as the wind changes more towards the ene/east.

Very strange as bigger flakes are now falling. I'm not complaining on e bit. I've got this feeling the SE including London will get quite a lot of snow later on.

There I was praising Francis Wilson yesterday :p Should I phone Sky News and BBC and let them know I have snow falling here? :lol:

This is amazing............Heavy snow is now falling, but nothing on the radar. Not complaining :clap::p

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Light snow in Dover... maybe a little sleety... the drip drip dripping bit thaw is increasing all the time :p

Posted

This has been a real big let down for me, i wish i hadn't watch sky weather so much and believed them. i thought i was going to wake up to a lot of snow and not one flake did i see. now it's melting really fast..i feel like sky weather really hyped it up.

Is there any chance of snow for my next week in the thurrock area?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Peeps

I think the radars are struggling badly today, just had a Moderate Snow Shower with big 50p Flakes, but nothing near me on radar??

Paul S

Paul the radar was struggling since yesterday

Posted

Very strange as bigger flakes are now falling. I'm not complaining on e bit. I've got this feeling the SE including London will get quite a lot of snow later on.

There I was praising Francis Wilson yesterday :p Should I phone Sky News and BBC and let them know I have snow falling here? :lol:

This is amazing............Heavy snow is now falling, but nothing on the radar. Not complaining :clap::p

A bit of snizzle here in Sutton nothing heavy at mo

Posted

regions: East of England

Wales

Yorkshire & Humber

London & South East England

East Midlands

North East England

Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan

THE EARLY WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED. DISRUPTIVE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOW LESS LIKELY.

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of Wales, Northeast and Southeast England. Outbreaks of snow may give accumulations of 1 to 2cm at low levels, but snow may become heavy and persistent at times over higher ground with 3 to 8cm on east-facing slopes and up to 15cm over the highest peaks of the Pennines and Welsh Mountains.

Strong winds may cause drifting of snow in places.

Issued at: 1125 Sun 10 Jan

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html