Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Why are the regional threads closing though is it me or is there potential for snow tommorrow and saturday?

Not really, locally yes but mostly on the hills so most people won't need to use them.

probably too much mod work to keep them all open.

what gets me is why do they create a new thread every 20 pages? its daft.

the regional threads are brill - i vote to keep them open, but to save mods work dont open a new one every day.

Yes it will be a shame to see them go but once the cold spell is over they might not get used as much when the weather is less 'interesting', so it might seem a waste of time having lots of extra threads which aren't betting used as much. :ph34r:

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Not really, locally yes but mostly on the hills so most people won't need to use them.

Do you think we will get snow tomoz? and what about sat?

Posted

Do you think we will get snow tomoz? and what about sat?

Like I said, the hills will get the snow with some sleet locally at low levels. The cold snap is over I'm afraid, but there's been 4 weeks of 50% snowcover in the garden, though for a couple of days between Xmas and New Year it was hard to tell as it was around the 50% mark. Under most guidelines it's been a 4 week cold spell. :whistling:

Just think, this time last month it was a Monday and we were nervously looking at the charts for the end of the week in hope of snow, who would've thought it would be another month before it all cleared away! help.gif

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Like I said, the hills will get the snow with some sleet locally at low levels. The cold snap is over I'm afraid, but there's been 4 weeks of 50% snowcover in the garden, though for a couple of days between Xmas and New Year it was hard to tell as it was around the 50% mark. Under most guidelines it's been a 4 week cold spell. smile.gif

Just think, this time last month it was a Monday and we were nervously looking at the charts for the end of the week in hope of snow, who would've thought it would be another month before it all cleared away! help.gif

Oh well nice while it lasted! biggrin.gif Hopefully wont be long to another cold spell smile.gif Thankyou for your input btw :whistling:

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

This is called Cold Spell Discussion and the feels like temps are -3 tommorow by my definitions, we need a rebellion to keep these open as the cold spell will be continuing, its got to be mod work reasoning as the national one is opening. Keep it open to 100 pages an make it easier for yourselves mods.

Posted

Thanks everyone for your input to this thread, its been great hearing about local weather conditions as opposed to those in Kent :whistling:

Imo I would love it to stay mild until mid February before turning cold again for a while, otherwise it won't be a novelty like cold spell one was (if there is even another cold spell/snap this winter). Those who want a cold spell straight away would enjoy it more if it was a novelty, apart from the longer days and stronger sunlight which might reduce the potential slightly.

Posted

Well guys if this is the last night for our regional thread, I'd just like to says thanks for an interesting insight to our local weather and how its effected our areas over the last month. With me been a newbie in terms of models and weather systems, I've taken alot in and learned quite abit to be honest.

Anyway I still have a gut feeling the main event is yet to arrive so I live in hope lol

thanks again dave

Edited by dave79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Its been great on this Thread. I have learnt loads regarding regional variations in this type of cold set-up. See you all again next week.... :unsure:

Posted

Also like to say thanks to all who have contributed on this thread,there's been some great crack!

Does seem a bit early to be closing this thread with wintry weather still around,up here it is -2 with freezing fog.:unsure:

Looks like another nervous drive to work tomorrow.

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Due to lots of pleading from various members on the Different Regional Forums Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Due to lots of pleading from various members on the Different Regional Forums Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Well in that case I'd just like to take my ''thanks to you all'' back..........and get the next round in :drinks:lol

so will we be seeing this beast from the east? seems to be looking more likely reading between the lines in the model discussion thread and have you seen the temp in the north sea dipping away?

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Has been a great few weeks..need a little breatha' before the next cold scenario returns..!! Looking quite interesting for the next few weeks with models bouncing from one thing to another on almost every run, global teleconnections pointing to northern blocking, renewed cold, stratosphere warming probable and cold SST's so lots to look forward to..!! Nature has a way with suprises, is there another just around the corner? Anyway been good crack with me fellow north-easterners and no bad vibes at all.. Cheers.:)

Posted

The rain has turned to snow here now in the last hour.

I would think places a bit higher up (Tucco?) will be getting a real pasting at the moment especially with the strength of the wind.

Posted

The rain has turned to snow here now in the last hour.

I would think places a bit higher up (Tucco?) will be getting a real pasting at the moment especially with the strength of the wind.

The wind has decreased here over the pasted few hours. Southerly never than strong here, the only direction we have some shelter.

Temp 0.4C moderate snow odd heavier burst.

Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Big thaw here overnight.

Last night there was still quite a thick covering on all areas apart from the roads. This morning it's down to a patchy covering with more grass than snow.

The grass still looks in nice condition considering it's been in the dark for 4 weeks!

The cover at 09:00 today fell short of the Met Office criteria so the days of consecutive snowcover ended at an amazing 30 days! I could never have imagined that before this winter.

Time for a break, but not for too long hopefully!

Posted

Big thaw here overnight.

Last night there was still quite a thick covering on all areas apart from the roads. This morning it's down to a patchy covering with more grass than snow.

The grass still looks in nice condition considering it's been in the dark for 4 weeks!

The cover at 09:00 today fell short of the Met Office criteria so the days of consecutive snowcover ended at an amazing 30 days! I could never have imagined that before this winter.

Time for a break, but not for too long hopefully!

Pretty much the same here, still snow lying in places but more grass than snow, and the side roads and paths have more ice than the grass due to being compacted down over 30 days!

It is also sleeting, turning more to snow, even at 3.0º and dropping slowly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I'm pleased to see this thread remaining. I've enjoyed discussing the local conditions and variations across relatively short distances. And with the SE bias on the main threads this is the only way we get to do it.

Now we just need the weather to give us something interesting!

Posted

Certainly is a big thaw going on here,large amounts of water running down the road sides and off the fields.

Just a few spots of rain now as the band of weather clears.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking at the outlook, staying mild and wet for a bit, but Monday through Wednesday could actually give a bit of sunshine with that continental high ridging over and giving southerlies. Temperatures falling a little below average with some night frosts. I think Thursday/Friday will bring some rain and sleet followed by the return of the Atlantic.

For me the exciting weather ended on Sunday- dull cold weather with the chance of frontal snow events doesn't capture my interest anywhere near as much as crisp bright weather and a guarantee of convective snowfalls from the North Sea. However the snow potential doesn't disappear completely for the foreseeable future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Had rain this morning, which contained some good flakes of snow too for a time - went out this afternoon and the air felt milder, although temp was around 4.5 degrees.