Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think as far as snow is concerned, for the most part this cold spell is now over. I am impressed with the temperatures and the quality of snow (perhaps not so impressed with the depth of it though) achieved these past 2 weeks.

So far this month my average temperature is -2.9c - that just illustrates how cold it has been. Even though today has seen a thaw, I haven't actually hit 1c, and I don't think 3c will be breached throughout this week.

Posted

That precip i think is best forgotten, it like waiting for the last supper!

laugh.gif

if the meto radar is right it will be here very soon! probably fall as sleet/rain tho rolleyes.gif

Edited by loopydreamer

Posted

I think we are at the end of an unusual cold spell...we're now entering what is a more normal and common cold spell for the UK.

There have been many winters where we have been looking forward to maxes of 3-5C (if it even gets that warm). Its just that the journey there is usually from maxes of 9-12C not -3-0C!

A bit like the Boxing Day blip...it never really got that warm...no warmer than average anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

a slight thaw today but still got lots of snow, max temp 1.7C, expecting a rise overnight and a steady thaw, been light sleet/snow flurries today but now dry

but been a good cold spell, but over now or when snow's all gone in morning, no way will tuesdays system fall as snow if it moves this far east, this was marginal enough, so from the Atlantic even more so, i see a repeat of the 29/30 Dec fiasco

Posted

laugh.gif

if the meto radar is right it will be here very soon! probably fall as sleet/rain tho rolleyes.gif

Well a few people on here today have advised against watching the radar due to it snowing in some places and nothing at all showing on the radar for their location. I dont know, maybe we are just getting some snow around 24 hours after the forcast event, if we get snow tonight then that will be right because it was forcast for over night last night. Who knows! :)

Still a very light snow shower here but with reasonable size flakes :)

Just remembered, we still have the weather watch from meto so maybe tonight is the night somat might finally happen here....

Edited by Frank

Posted

Trouble is, there doesn't appear to be a nice mild southwesterly with a bit of rain to wash away all the salt and leave a clean slate for the next "cold spell", all that it seems we will get, is a cold murkey, damp and misrable looking scene for a week.

We really need some cold air to get filtered back into eastern europe and scandi, so we can take advantage of the currant northeasterly biased set up.

Posted

well its a horrible wintry mixture round here at the moment. the dreaded thaw is starting to set in, and after numerous sledging trips, i can say ive had enough of the snow for the time being. the cold air is mixing out at the moment, and as gord says, we are about to enter a noughties cold spell now, where temperatures are standardly 2-3c about freezing, rather than the other side of 0. its been good, and there are, albeit marginal, more chances for snow in the coming days :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Has anyone from the midlands had freezing drizzle/snizzle today?

Suppose you have to be on a hill to get that today.

We've had snow of the non settling variety and snizzle on and off all day.

Posted

Oh my lord, I was about to give up hope and i've just looked outside and it's quite heavy out there! Where has this come from? It's even starting to stick on some cars that's left water from thawed ice...

EDIT:

Slowed back to moderate now but it's left quite a noticeable dusting practically everywhere...

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

We've also had very very light snow on and off all day which turned more sleety in the afternoon, its turned back to snow now and falling a little heavier, still light though.

Posted

Snowing again here...but it might as well be rain, having the same effect as rain anyway...

..althought the report from Halesowen makes me sit up a bit!

Posted

Has anyone from the midlands had freezing drizzle/snizzle today?

Suppose you have to be on a hill to get that today.

Snowed on and off all day here. Max temp about -0.8C. No thaw.

Snow depth was 5 inches/12.5cm last time i checked.

Edited by Higher Ground

Posted

..althought the report from Halesowen makes me sit up a bit!

Well, I am quite high up on a hill, and it's gone back to light, still sticking slowly though. If this carries on I may have a grand total of 1 cm by 9pm. :yahoo:

Posted

Oh my lord, I was about to give up hope and i've just looked outside and it's quite heavy out there! Where has this come from? It's even starting to stick on some cars that's left water from thawed ice...

EDIT:

Slowed back to moderate now but it's left quite a noticeable dusting practically everywhere...

You had me going there ...iwas up the window like a whippet! :yahoo:

Posted

Hi,

Not to pee anyone off but its blowing an absolute hooly(spelling?) here in buxton, loads of snow and i guess mega drifts :lol:

I,m off out in abit so i will report back.

I know some of the high roads are blocked by drifts and the snow ploughs cannot keep up :yahoo:

Cheers,

Kev W

check out the link below

webcams and latest reports for buxton

Edited by keviwal

Posted

We've had snow of the non settling variety and snizzle on and off all day.

It must be to do with that upper warm front must of been a pocket of less cold air mixed in for a time,as it turned sleety here wet light stuff that froze,now back to proper snow as the colder east flow comes in.

You were lucky High ground not to get that no thaw here it just froze giving some ice on surfaces.

Posted

You had me going there ...iwas up the window like a whippet! :yahoo:

Well, I thought it was just a tad odd. Either way, it makes thing a slight bit more exiting. :lol:

I still don't know where it came from... I suppose it proves that these heavy bursts really will come out of nowhere.

If this gets here I'll be in business (albeit light business):

post-10818-12631476359242_thumb.png

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Decentish light snow falling now but flakes still small.