Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Snowing here has been quite moderate in the past 20 mins slowin down now, not sticking to cars etc but naturally is topping up the snow which still seems to be thawing slightly.

Posted

met office warning changed

Wales:80% Blaenau Gwent

80% Caerphilly

80% Cardiff

80% Merthyr Tydfil

80% Newport

80% Rhondda Cynon Taff

80% Torfaen

80% Vale of Glamorgan

60% Bridgend

60% Carmarthenshire

60% Ceredigion

60% Monmouthshire

60% Neath Port Talbot

60% Pembrokeshire

60% Powys

60% Swansea

Heavy Snow 1200 Tue 12 0600 Wed 13

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting much of Southwest England along with southern and central Wales.

A band of heavy snow will move northeastwards during Tuesday afternoon and the first part of Wednesday before easing off. New snow accumulations of 5-10cm are expected widely with 10-20cm likely in places. This is more likely in parts of south Wales and on high ground of Southwest England. On high ground there is also a moderate risk of over 30cm. The strengthening southeasterly wind is likely to lead to drifting of snow.

This could cause disruption to travel networks and lead to problems with power lines.

The snow is likely to turn to rain across much of Cornwall and on south coasts of Southwest England on Tuesday evening as well as Southwest Wales.

This warning is likely to be superseded by Flash Messages.

Issued at: 1152 Mon 11 Jan

Posted

and other

Wales:60% Blaenau Gwent

60% Bridgend

60% Caerphilly

60% Cardiff

60% Carmarthenshire

60% Ceredigion

60% Merthyr Tydfil

60% Monmouthshire

60% Neath Port Talbot

60% Newport

60% Pembrokeshire

60% Powys

60% Rhondda Cynon Taff

60% Swansea

60% Torfaen

60% Vale of Glamorgan

Heavy Snow 1225 Mon 11 1325 Mon 11

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southwest England and South Wales.

A band of heavy snow will move slowly northeast during Tuesday afternoon and the first part of Wednesday before dying out. Accumulations of 5 to 10cm are expected widely, with 10 to 20cm possible locally, and a low risk of up to 30cm over higher ground. The strengthening southeasterly wind is also likely to lead to drifting of snow.

This could cause disruption to travel networks and lead to problems with power lines.

Issued at: 1226 Mon 11 Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Looking good for Wales on the latest Metoffice Warnings.

NAE/UKMO Still going for snow to start with.

So does the GFS 06z:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs362.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs363.gif

Low upper air temps and heavy precipitation.

Still time to go yet...one things that isnt so favourable is the time of day the front could come in= Mid-day. Not really the best of times of course

Anyway will see what the latest model output says later.

Posted

Not really looking forward to this event... looking margin for me and West Wales later on Tuesday.

Even today West Wales temps seem a little high.

I'd rather it stay cold and dry to keep existing snow cover... temps are rising and thawing is taking place.

Snow won't stick anywhere really apart from existing snow (which won't last long if we get a wash out)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I really don't know what to make of this coming event. The Meto and BBC have been all over the place in their predictions this last week.

We had the best of it last Wed and most of the snow is still lying, but i'm pessamistic about Tuesday.

Will it be a snow fest or a washout? Still up in the air and i'll believe it that little bit more come Tuesday lunch time.

Please convince me otherwise

Posted

It is definetly milder than i fought its now dropping off which is unusuall for the time of day, i wont it to freeze tonight but i dont think it will. Tomorrow if I'm onest i think we will have wet snow that will ruin existing snow cover and eventually lead to a thaw away from about 300meters.

Posted

temps hovering around 1C here. Thawing rapidly now . Much more 'greenery' about.

In fact, it's quite nice outside.

Posted

temps hovering around 1C here. Thawing rapidly now . Much more 'greenery' about.

In fact, it's quite nice outside.

You wont get a rapid thaw with a temp like that.

Posted

BBC forecast with Darren Bett - FANTASTIC - Heavy Snow for us all!!!!

Please can someone explain how we can possibly get anything else but rain tomorrow. 850 temeratures look to be close to - 3 at best giving surface temps of around 4 C dew points look to be around 0 C and the source of the air is mild atlantic dross. What am I missing here???

I can appreciate that the black mountains and beacons will get a pasting but I really cant see anything but cold rain for costal areas. What is the missing ingredient that will hopefully deliver all this snow??

Posted

Well it's thawing quite rapidly here. It's very damp which I think is causing it. Southern facing hills have about 50/50 greenery/snow covering now in places.

No sign of snowflakes now either.

Posted

Well it's thawing quite rapidly here. It's very damp which I think is causing it. Southern facing hills have about 50/50 greenery/snow covering now in places.

No sign of snowflakes now either.

Yes its very humid maybe thats what's causing it, did u have a good blanket of snow to start with?

Posted

Yes its very humid maybe thats what's causing it, did u have a good blanket of snow to start with?

to be honeest i have found it got colder as the day has gone on and not hardley noticed any thaw,and if temps stay like this i think that cloud tomor will fall as snow,but i have seen it in the past that it comes in as rain when they expected snow,bwlch etc deff snow as it is much higher and colder.

just wait and see if it comes great if not kids go to school i win both ways lol

Posted

We had a good covering last week - nothing 'major' though, enough to make the roads proper white (if you know what I mean). Fields were completelly white.

Since Friday it's been the occasional 'wet fart' of a snowfall here and there, but it got quite warm(up to 3C) Saturday and Sunday when the skies were comparitively clear and some humidity crept in.

The diference here at work since 9am this morning until now (1445) is quite astonishing really, it's now all quite 'mushy', with tufts of grass poking through the snow everywhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

No thaw here only very slight. It has snowed light for much of the day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

is there snow to come for north wales tue/wed?? they promise everytime but always gets it wrong!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

to be honeest i have found it got colder as the day has gone on and not hardley noticed any thaw,and if temps stay like this i think that cloud tomor will fall as snow,but i have seen it in the past that it comes in as rain when they expected snow,bwlch etc deff snow as it is much higher and colder.

just wait and see if it comes great if not kids go to school i win both ways lol

same here it does feel colder out there