Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

well, the band of precip is approaching fast - weakening a little bit on the leading edge but plenty of heavy stuff behind. Just read on the SW thread that it has started raining at Corfe in dorset so i think it will at least start as rain here too. could change if that heavier stuff gets here and the temps drop away.

According the latest obs from the met office (don't know how useful they are) solent was 2.4 and thorney island was 1.8 at 16:00.

Edited by A horse called man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Seems far too warm to me even without the benefit of a thermometer; I could really tell the difference today compared with yesterday even though it's cold in the wind! I noticed that Devon and Cornwall were taken off the 80% warning completely this morning, imagine how they feel if they were really hoping for some of the white stuff!

Just been to Hayling and it's weird seeing snow on the beach although that's thawing quite rapidly as well.

Oh to live a bit further north (I'd miss the sea in the summer though lol!)....

Badboy - you were right, I remember you saying it would prob be a non event for us - you should join the BBC weather team for our area!!

Posted

0.1 in Odiham.

The band of precipitation is still making good progress, but the front portion of it is weakening significantly as it approaches the IoW. South-west Hampshire will get the precipitation at about 7pm and north-east Hampshire by about midnight. It is looking as if the precipitation will be pretty light which means that it will be rain/sleet near the coast and snow inland. Accumulations are likely to less than 2" (5cm) except on the highest hills.

Posted

think the best time for us will be between midnight and 3am

im still not convinced that we will just see rain though

i'm pinning my hopes on a rain starter and then moderate snow for my main course. No doubt i'll be in bed if it does bother to snow so i'm keeping my emotions in check. If we hadn't seen any snow so far this winter i think my behaviour would be a little more high octane.

hmmm, the leading edge is fragmenting noticeably now.....

Edited by A horse called man

Posted

hmmm. It's sounding less and less good. Somebody has just posted on the southwest thread that the precip is now not going to get to Bristol until 11pm - not sure if that's true.

Right, i'm going to do some meaningful work which means i now won't look at the radar or check the threads until this evening. I'm not giving up until people in Dorset start reporting rain!

OK so from Dorset, I can report RAIN, yes the clear stuff :whistling:

Want to check temps in my area then http://pooleweather.50webs.com is the place to look

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

anyone in our area got any recent temp readings ??

Only from my car (it seems to be pretty accurate): 3.5 about 10 mins ago. Had been about 2 this afternoon, with significant wind chill :) but even that seems to have gone now.

Posted

OK so from Dorset, I can report RAIN, yes the clear stuff mad.gif

Want to check temps in my area then http://pooleweather.50webs.com is the place to look

ha!!! thanks Dorsetbred, i was hoping somebody would let us know from your neck of the woods. It does look like there is some heavier stuff behind it that might just produce a bit of the white stuff? i guess i'm straw clutching. No matter how much i tell myself it'll be rain you can't help but hope...

Posted

Only from my car (it seems to be pretty accurate): 3.5 about 10 mins ago. Had been about 2 this afternoon, with significant wind chill :blink: but even that seems to have gone now.

Quite a temp differential across our region then. Temp here is 0.6c

I remain confident that we'll get snow in this area later tonight and tomorrow morning - albeit light

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

We've just been out in Horndean and the wind's died down considerably. Our lights/streetlights keep going off and on!

This weather front has only really affected a few people snowwise I think - I'm still grateful for what we had last week and as has already been alluded to, if we hadn't had that I'd be pulling my hair out. But.... it's still only the middle of Jan.

Posted

latest radar shows the band really breaking up now....still a nice solid lump behind it but will that go the same way as it approaches?

Posted

ha!!! thanks Dorsetbred, i was hoping somebody would let us know from your neck of the woods. It does look like there is some heavier stuff behind it that might just produce a bit of the white stuff? i guess i'm straw clutching. No matter how much i tell myself it'll be rain you can't help but hope...

Oh how I know that straw clutching technique!! 2.6C here on the coast at the moment so I think I would be clutching at dust motes if I expected snow. Sadly!:D

Posted

Its not much but i noticed on the radar that little somet had developed over the IOW on raintoday, am looking up at the lampost and i can see some flakes falling, but with a bit of sleet in it too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

latest radar shows the band really breaking up now....still a nice solid lump behind it but will that go the same way as it approaches?

Yeh, I've been watching that front edge breaking up and wondering the same thing :D:D

Posted

Its not much but i noticed on the radar that little somet had developed over the IOW on raintoday, am looking up at the lampost and i can see some flakes falling, but with a bit of sleet in it too.

i can see that little rogue cloud on the radar! well, maybe that's promising if the main band does get here without fragmenting anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Seems far too warm to me even without the benefit of a thermometer; I could really tell the difference today compared with yesterday even though it's cold in the wind! I noticed that Devon and Cornwall were taken off the 80% warning completely this morning, imagine how they feel if they were really hoping for some of the white stuff!

Just been to Hayling and it's weird seeing snow on the beach although that's thawing quite rapidly as well.

Oh to live a bit further north (I'd miss the sea in the summer though lol!)....

Badboy - you were right, I remember you saying it would prob be a non event for us - you should join the BBC weather team for our area!!

lol i take advice from the model thread or should i say i read the top posters idears and add my idears.

but still very possible last week of jan first week feb coooooooolllllldddd again.

so chin up peeps things back to normal for awhile i will say its not gonna be blow torch warm but milder.

and i would still like to add there is a very slight possibilty that colder air could dig in as the front moves futher inland theres some very heavy stuff in that front so dont be suprised if something white does fall after some sleety rain,

but id be more inclined to say this is a none event.

but its been a fun 7 days.

Edited by badboy657

Posted

i can see that little rogue cloud on the radar! well, maybe that's promising if the main band does get here without fragmenting anymore.

Well i think the best we can do is keep our fingers crossed :clap:

Posted

well, i've just popped outside and i can confirm that what is falling here is very very light but it is snowflakes. It's coming from that little tongue of precip leading up from the IOW. If we could just tap into the heavier stuff later....

Posted

well, i've just popped outside and i can confirm that what is falling here is very very light but it is snowflakes. It's coming from that little tongue of precip leading up from the IOW. If we could just tap into the heavier stuff later....

Not even too sure if I want anything but rain anymore. Since we got this snow last Tuesday we haven't had any post delivered at all!! And i am waiting for an appointment letter from the hospital. :lol:

Mind you, if this precipitaion came as loads and loads of snow I think I could be happy, even ecstatic. :lol: But I don't think it will happen for the coast, :lol: further inland maybe even as little as 6 miles inland I reckon a good chance of snow later tonight and early tomorrow but too warm here.

Gone right up to 2.8C now. :winky:

Edited by coldfingers