Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

All

Nick F has just posted one of his excellent updates blog - see the Model Discussion Thread for the link.

Could be complications Wednesday with forecasts, which may help or hinder!

Posted

i watched bbc news 24 at around 6pm, a reporter (cant remmember name) stood at top of gloucester (assume at birdlip) saying major snow fall hitting gloucestershire this time tomorrow 6pm tues, people already panic buying ready for major snowfall.

better stock up on milk and bread thenwacko.gif

Posted

Nick's Blog here..

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/59644-new-year-cold-spell/page__pid__1738646__st__17entry1738646

i watched bbc news 24 at around 6pm, a reporter (cant remmember name) stood at top of gloucester (assume at birdlip) saying major snow fall hitting gloucestershire this time tomorrow 6pm tues, people already panic buying ready for major snowfall.

:D :D :drinks: so the main band will hit Glos

Edited by dogs32

Posted

lol....

..stake tonight... drunk.gif

Aspire..no proof in the pudding laugh.gif

lol... well is it stake (not sure I fancy that) but if it Steak then I am on my way.... I will bring a bottle. loldrinks.gifdrinks.gif or two...drunk.gif

Posted

Aspire , show me the downgrade.

I haven't been here, been working

edit or James

Easy.

The 14.30 forecast showed lots more snow further north.

GFS 3.30pm =

18.30 forecast, much less snow totals north of Bristol.

Much less snow totals IMBY too.

Posted

Nick's Blog here..

http://forum.netweat...7entry1738646

drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif so the main band will hit Glos

Thanks Dogs - i didn't know how to add the link! What a Numpty i am!biggrin.gif

S.Glos you reckon - whow! I'm supposed to catch early train Thursday morn to London for a work project - will it still be chaos then?!

Posted

If you watch the forecast snow dosent reach you until 3.00am, then it starts to die away and fizzle out.

We will just have to watch that radar.

This time tomorrow no snow over Gloucester.

Early today it was forecast to hit Bristol at rush hour...not any more.

Early hours for Bristol too.

Posted

If you watch the forecast snow dosent reach you until 3.00am, then it starts to die away and fizzle out.

We will just have to watch that radar.

This time tomorrow no snow over Gloucester.

Early today it was forecast to hit Bristol at rush hour...not any more.

Early hours for Bristol too.

I saw that too.

Posted

Well I for one will be happy if this event hits Devon mainly..

Too many times have I had pouring rain while I watch areas 50-100 miles NE of me getting hit by the snow! It's my turn for once :D

Anyway not getting at anyone but its not the end of the world (at least not for me!) if the main snow doesn't hit Glos or Bristol :drinks:

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Hold onto your hats, it's going to be a bumpy ride tomorrow! :D

Posted
cc_confused.gif may be i miss heard,perhasp he was standing looking over gloucester in the forest of dean???? . either way i would prefer it not to snow heavy. Edited by shuggee

Posted

I think the thread is just a little too pessimistic regarding tomorrows events. We have seen over recent winters the odd Channel Low which has failed to deliver however the ingredients for a major winter storm are there. The cold surface pool which has been around for weeks, lots of precip, strong winds and the flow ahead of the low is crucially from the se to east which brings low dew points and drier air. The actual main low is likely to stick in the sw approaches near southern Ireland with the shortwave running east this will slow the precip which means you get prolonged snowfall.

The key thing to look at is temps over northern and eastern France as this is the sourcing of air ahead of the low,there is still some uncertainty with the extent of the heaviest precip but we should know more after the latest NAE model comes out.

Posted

Anyone near this precipitation which has just appeared in Devon? Looks like rain...

post-2254-12632384154928_thumb.gif

Edited by potsy

Posted

I think the thread is just a little too pessimistic regarding tomorrows events. We have seen over recent winters the odd Channel Low which has failed to deliver however the ingredients for a major winter storm are there. The cold surface pool which has been around for weeks, lots of precip, strong winds and the flow ahead of the low is crucially from the se to east which brings low dew points and drier air. The actual main low is likely to stick in the sw approaches near southern Ireland with the shortwave running east this will slow the precip which means you get prolonged snowfall.

The key thing to look at is temps over northern and eastern France as this is the sourcing of air ahead of the low,there is still some uncertainty with the extent of the heaviest precip but we should know more after the latest NAE model comes out.

Thanks nick this is a classic s west snow event looks ever so promising seen this synoptics only 3 times in my life time producing 20foots snow drifts at least 12hrs of snow on the 3 occasions.

Posted

thx

nice post Nick. :unsure:

someone who talks sense

feel's like the Gladiator arena in here with Russel Crow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Thanks nick this is a classic s west snow event looks ever so promising seen this synoptics only 3 times in my life time producing 20foots snow drifts at least 12hrs of snow on the 3 occasions.

The thing that is depressing me now is (and I know it hasn't even happened yet!) that its going to get milder afterwards, so it won't be around long. I think I just want it to be perfect! lol :unsure:

Posted

When's the NAE model output?

Leon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Will there be blizzards and drifting snow in Cardiff?

lol

Posted

Will there be blizzards and drifting snow in Cardiff?

not NOW, there won't! :lol: :cold:

Posted

Blimey, what superb entertainment this discussion group provides. Who needs the telly? Hope and despair; competence and incompetence; cold air and hot air; sense and senselessness. Keep it coming!