Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Please tell me someone that there is some colder air and lower dew points on the way as currently have 0.9 dew and 2.8 temp, even I know that this is impossible to bring the white stuff falling from the sky.

Would really like to be getting excited over the forecasts but with temps like these it is proving tricky.

Well Ian has updated his thoughts on his blog this evening re tommorrow and it is not really worth watching anymore. Unless there is a HUGE upgrade later or tommorrow morning this Snow Event has died on it's legs for here already and for many areas of the South West. :(:(:(

Anybody know when the next cold spell will arrive ?

Edited by BristolBaggie

Posted

i watched bbc news 24 at around 6pm, a reporter (cant remmember name) stood at top of gloucester (assume at birdlip) saying major snow fall hitting gloucestershire this time tomorrow 6pm tues, people already panic buying ready for major snowfall.

better stock up on milk and bread thenwacko.gif

just seen it on n24 and reporting from birdlip.ok looks possibly a recording from earlier maybe, but he said tomorrow evening,heavy snow reaching gloucestershire.i,m not an expert at weather just saying what i hear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Please tell me someone that there is some colder air and lower dew points on the way as currently have 0.9 dew and 2.8 temp, even I know that this is impossible to bring the white stuff falling from the sky.

Would really like to be getting excited over the forecasts but with temps like these it is proving tricky.

I think as it moves in, these will lower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

A downgrade for north devon?. The forecasts have had the snow struggling to get here since yesterday.

Posted
Tomorrow can't come soon enough, only to release the tension!biggrin.gif

Thing is it'll take most of tomorrow before we know what's happening!

Two Tuesdays in a row, and last Tuesday's lunchtime forecast ended up wrong so it's really going to be nowcasting. I can't believe how some people just post saying they give up etc when this has been the coldest winter spell for years!

Posted

Two Tuesdays in a row, and last Tuesday's lunchtime forecast ended up wrong so it's really going to be nowcasting. I can't believe how some people just post saying they give up etc when this has been the coldest winter spell for years!

just seen another update and the forecaster said this will be the armeggedon of snowfalls for bristol area 15-20cms typically and 30cms around the fishponds area excellent news cant wait:drinks:lol

Posted

I think those of us in the northern part of the region and you guys in Wilts should have a good idea by tomorrow lunchtime of the exact track.

If it continues its progged shift West, it will benefit most of us for the cold look at things ahead, and benefit those further south in the 'wider SW' region for snow. Any further shift West will see the snow risk diminish for those in the north and east of our region.

the trends over the last few hours seem to indicate it being further west.

Anyway, that's me outta of here for this eve. all set for tomorrow's rollercoaster ride (well outside of my normal work hours anyway!)

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Wow, you guys have been at it this evening eh...

Much more relaxing up at the pub, with a few beers, fire roaring and all that jazz.

Anyhow...

Still on for 20-30cms here apparently! But, as the saying goes... west is best...

Posted

Wow, you guys have been at it this evening eh...

Much more relaxing up at the pub, with a few beers, fire roaring and all that jazz.

Anyhow...

Still on for 20-30cms here apparently! But, as the saying goes... west is best...

very true and east is least:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Looking slightly ahead of tomorrow for a moment (a little light relief) looks as if we might have another cold spell next week.

Posted

That said, its 0.4C with a DP of 0 and its sleeting... which is a bit sucky.

Where did that PPn come from? Was forecast to be dry and -2C tonight!

Posted

Looking slightly ahead of tomorrow for a moment (a little light relief) looks as if we might have another cold spell next week.

Not good news! getting a bit annoying now all this cold weather. Well with the ice etc anyway. Wouldnt mind if it was really cold but clear skies everyday! B)

Posted

Right peeps, have a bit of a decision to make here, my kids are due to get on the school bus tomorrow to go to school, and return on said bus at approx 4 o'clock, by which time we could have a covering already and there should be heavy falling snow. I have 4x4 vehicle but that is not always enough to get you through up here.

So help me decide, send them school or keep them home again?

Jase

Posted

Right peeps, have a bit of a decision to make here, my kids are due to get on the school bus tomorrow to go to school, and return on said bus at approx 4 o'clock, by which time we could have a covering already and there should be heavy falling snow. I have 4x4 vehicle but that is not always enough to get you through up here.

Jase

Dartmoor! keep em home you got it coming big time!

Posted

If the weather deteriorates considerably the school will usually call the parents and have you pick them up early, or arrange buses to come earlier (at least thats what happened when i was at school) Saying this, the chances of any work what so ever being done tomorrow is so slim with the excitement of maybe more snow. It might not be worth it if they are only going to be sent home earlier.

Posted

Jase

Well, if the forecasts are to be believed we will have approx 5hrs of heavy snow by 4pm so, tricky!

It will also be driving snow, especially up your way! I doubt the buses will run in that weather? That said, I'm not exactly qualified to say either way B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

OK, If we get snow. EVERYONE from glos area, get together and do this :

Wow snow rolling instead of cheese!!!!

Posted

Jase

If the snow appears to be getting heavy then they will contact you and shut the school early.

Posted

Still very much game on then.

Sorry for the IMBYism :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Damn going by that N devon will loose alot of snow due to dartmoor.