Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

9pm B'ham my guess and snow.

Anyone been over to the SW thread in last 15 mins to see whats happening in Cornwall now its made landfall?

Posted

9pm B'ham my guess and snow.

Anyone been over to the SW thread in last 15 mins to see whats happening in Cornwall now its made landfall?

Reports of a transition to snow over the bodmin moors as far as I can gather. It's making very slow progress as it makes landfall.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

I'd say midnight at least before it gets in to the West Midlands. Maybe we could place bets on it :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

dont think it will reach wolverhampton / dudley areas tbh - probably get a dusting at max.................

Posted

dont think it will reach wolverhampton / dudley areas tbh - probably get a dusting at max.................

I agree. Not holding out much hope for Brierley Hill tonight. Can't say I'm that bothered anymore after a week of negotiating an ice covered estate.

Posted

I doubt it will ever reach Telford in the end to be honest, it's already stalling when its only just getting into Devon :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Still looks like it is moving to me, just very slowly. Reached Plymouth now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Feels bitterly cold in the wind but the sensor is reading 1.7c. The laying snow is melting, even the compacted ice/snow was easy to shift this morning. There is still a lot of snow on the ground. The canal is still frozen over.

Walking the dog this morning the surface was a real mix, difficult in places, puddles, slush, ice and crunchy snow.

I don't really think we will see anything out of the band that's coming, well not snow anyway. Still things can change quite quickly so I can hope.

Posted

someone is saying on the southwest thread that temp has dropped rapidly in plymouth

Feels bitterly cold in the wind but the sensor is reading 1.7c. The laying snow is melting, even the compacted ice/snow was easy to shift this morning. There is still a lot of snow on the ground. The canal is still frozen over.

Walking the dog this morning the surface was a real mix, difficult in places, puddles, slush, ice and crunchy snow.

I don't really think we will see anything out of the band that's coming, well not snow anyway. Still things can change quite quickly so I can hope.

i think that IF the band gets here at all it will definetly snow because temps will be low enough later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It's a real shame because I have never seen such a massive organised intense band of precip like that before but it's highly unlikely it will reach Birmingham let alone Leicester. Even if it does make it this far... It will be snizzly stuff that will be pretty much useless so there is no point even holding out any hope for snow from that if you are any further North than say Worcester area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

someone is saying on the southwest thread that temp has dropped rapidly in plymouth

i think that IF the band gets here at all it will definetly snow because temps will be low enough later

Ok sounds good, fingers and legs crossed then.

Just checked and have a dew point of 0c, so not far for that to have to drop.

Mind over matter.......snow.....snow.....here snow, come on here snow.

Edited by chapmanraven

Posted

Nothing for the East Midlands, In fairness we probably should have our own East Midlands discussion given the vast area the Midlands covers as its sometimes painful for us to read when you lot over in the west get excited about impending snow which has no chance of making it across to us in the eastsad.gif Then again I would imagine that works both ways

Posted

It's a real shame because I have never seen such a massive organised intense band of precip like that before but it's highly unlikely it will reach Birmingham let alone Leicester. Even if it does make it this far... It will be snizzly stuff that will be pretty much useless so there is no point even holding out any hope for snow from that if you are any further North than say Worcester area.

i think light=sleet/snizzle and heavy=probably snow! i wouldn't have expected it to snow at all down the southwest but already a few members there are recording temp drops as the band is moving in! the problem is i dont think the band will even reach worcestershire and if it does it will only be light=snizzle diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

i think light=sleet/snizzle and heavy=probably snow! i wouldn't have expected it to snow at all down the southwest but already a few members there are recording temp drops as the band is moving in! the problem is i dont think the band will even reach worcestershire and if it does it will only be light=snizzle diablo.gif

Well put it this way... You have a significantly better chance of seeing snow from this than me :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Afternoon All. Interesting Wintry weather for us Midlanders more so the West Midlands. It looks as though the front moving into the South West and SW Wales will make very slow progress north and east over the next 12hrs. A shortwave trough develops along that front later today and overnight so that will slow the front down and aid in rejuvinating the front over our area tomorrow.As the front approaches it will also pull in some colder air from the NorthEast so that is likely to make the precip, snow, right down to low levels. Ive highlighted in red where the greatest risk of heavy snow will be tomorrow and the Green area where its likely to be lighter and less disruptive. Its a developing situation, but yes I really do think someone may get some decent snowfall out of this.... :clap::rolleyes:

post-6830-12633010741128_thumb.png

post-6830-12633011037428_thumb.png

post-6830-12633011511528_thumb.png

post-6830-12633011723828_thumb.png

Posted

Afternoon All. Interesting Wintry weather for us Midlanders more so the West Midlands. It looks as though the front moving into the South West and SW Wales will make very slow progress north and east over the next 12hrs. A shortwave trough develops along that front later today and overnight so that will slow the front down and aid in rejuvinating the front over our area tomorrow.As the front approaches it will also pull in some colder air from the NorthEast so that is likely to make the precip, snow, right down to low levels. Ive highlighted in red where the greatest risk of heavy snow will be tomorrow and the Green area where its likely to be lighter and less disruptive. Its a developing situation, but yes I really do think someone may get some decent snowfall out of this.... cold.gifyahoo.gif

well......hang on to ya hats guys! we r in for one hell of a ride! i have got my beers at the ready clap.gifdrunk.gif

gotta go to work now wallbash.gif see ya all later air_kiss.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Not got as warm as I expected today 1.4, dp of -0.4 .

Could be fun if anything reaches us!

Posted

The UKMO 06z fax chart really slows down the front in comparison to the 00z. Quite surprised, but looks perhaps in alignment with other 00z models.

BTW - CFS looking a little brighter on Sundays 00z run towards the end of the month :air_kiss:

Posted

The NMM really slows down the progression of this front. It doesn't even reach the West Midlands until 8am by which time it has mostly fizzled into nothing.

So- a big snow event for South Wales, Devon and Somerset overnight. Some lighter snow showers elsewhere later in the morning which will not amount to very much.