Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

NOPE.... SORRY!!!!

temp dropped BY 0.5oC in 10 mins !!!

Heavy sleet on and off here - if i look up i can see the bands of snow floating 200m above me, quite frustrating....time to head off back to work - will it turn to snow as i go? how exciting...rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Area of 'pink' getting bigger on the radar as it continues to move NE.

The blob over Cornwall hasn't moved either, somewhere is getting some snow, and quite heavy to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Really quite windy here, temp +0.6 still no big thaw so far, the snow seems to have shrunk and compacted rather than dripped, level surfaces retaining about 4 inches - hoping it gets topped up later rather than washed away.

Posted

0.9c in Warminster and that's a drop from 1.1c half an hour ago. There is a very slow thaw of lying snow but still a good 2 inches laying. The wind is bitter and very gusty from the SE.

I would expect the intensity of the precipitation to drop as the band moves ENE through the afternoon, but maybe not over the moors.

Posted

Nice update and sky news going for snow over high ground initially and then increasingly to snow overnight everywhere...

Getting closer...

Jase, the snow over your way looks like showers ahead of the main front, but its coming!

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

It's not often you see so much red and even the odd bit of white on the BBC radar! There is some serious PPN mixed in with this system. Seems to be coming Eastwards at a fair rate of knots as well.

The Dorset snowshield may well have its work cut out on the higher ground today!

Posted

It's not often you see so much red and even the odd bit of white on the BBC radar! There is some serious PPN mixed in with this system. Seems to be coming Eastwards at a fair rate of knots as well.

The Dorset snowshield may well have its work cut out on the higher ground today!

Here's hoping, maybe we can get a covering up here in land :air_kiss:

Posted

Snowing here, getting heavier! Blowing all over the place

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

I am not trying to ramp, but precip rates of upto 30cm of snow an hr are mixed in with the. More widespread are precip rates of 10cms an hr.

This is the kind of event that brings motorways and roads to a total stand still within mins.

Something for those travelling during rush hour to bare in mind as it moves eastwards.

Posted

Ramp away Iceberg... this is pretty heavy and the radar shows I'm just on the edge of it.

I can see why the met are going for drifting, the wind has really picked up from the ESE now...

Posted

Ramp away Iceberg... this is pretty heavy and the radar shows I'm just on the edge of it.

I can see why the met are going for drifting, the wind has really picked up from the ESE now...

blow it this way dont take all the snow matt lol

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

First Flash warning out for Heavy Snow in Devon, The first of many I think.

The band is moving further eastwards than it should be for this time of the day, so far.....

Looks like a good night for you guys, though the band looks exactly on time according to the GFS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I am getting excited now....

Temperature falling here now -0.4c in last hour so colder air def moving in.

current temp 0.5c

yahoo.gif

Posted

According to the 06Z NAE the Precip rates should be nowhere near what is being shown on radar, I can easily say that the NAE totals will be surpassed in at least Devon and Somerset.

It's travelling quickly though, should be in Exeter in approx 1 hrs time which is 1 or 2 hrs ahead of schedule.