Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Inch or 2 top up in Stroud, but went for a walk at midnight straight up the hill from here, out across the fields towards Hawkwood College woods (if anyone knows them). Bit different up there! Strong wind, driving snow and a fresh 3 inches then so presume outside towns and villages here there must be some amazing sights this morning. A drive yesterday revealed some hills and valleys around here still had 8-12 inches from the last lot! And we're only half way through winter....If there isn't loads of rain, even 3 or 4 days of a bit milder weather won't shift all this lot surely? Take care if your out and about today....

Posted

Morning All! :drinks:

Weve had about 3/4 inches here.. still snowing now. Just a warning, 1 Lane on the A303 apparently.. people getting stuck everywhere. My father is stuck at work in Middle Wallop.

Edited by biggiemauls

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

How deep is it where you are now, Tom?

About 2cm here, estimating from my casual glance out the window just now. Still fine, light snow here.

Posted

As we still had a lot from the week before it do look deep tbh.Cant believe its snowed heavy at the same time for 2 weeks in a row and yet going by netweather 7 day forecast its possible it could be 3x in a row next week

lets hope, maybe get some down this way then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Managed to get to work in Nailsea with no problems. The main roads & motorway are fine, its just those pesky side roads that are a little slippery, and the car park at work is very slippery.

Edited by SteveB

Posted

After the walk into work i will revise the added depth - reckon it could be about 4 inches - i sound like the fisherman talking about the one that got away!laugh.gif

Took a few pics as well - might try and post them up later when i get home this eve - never done that before but i'll give it a go.

Cheers and enjoy the day - there always seem to be loads of you on here who never go to work!laugh.gif

Posted

Nothing again for us in Poole, our 1cm from last week disappeared days ago. And still nw put up those ridiculous snow symbols for our area. Beginning to believe its easier to win the lottery than for it to snow here. Happy to pay my huge gas bills if I had something to show for it, but now after so many disappointments I say roll on the spring because it aint ever gonna happen here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Inch or 2 top up in Stroud, but went for a walk at midnight straight up the hill from here, out across the fields towards Hawkwood College woods (if anyone knows them). Bit different up there! Strong wind, driving snow and a fresh 3 inches then so presume outside towns and villages here there must be some amazing sights this morning. A drive yesterday revealed some hills and valleys around here still had 8-12 inches from the last lot! And we're only half way through winter....If there isn't loads of rain, even 3 or 4 days of a bit milder weather won't shift all this lot surely? Take care if your out and about today....

Revising my estimate of depth to after dog walk! There's 3 inches at least fresh snow off gritted roads and rate it's falling is adding still. All the back roads are useless again, just outside the town centre. Noone will be moving from the higher parts of town today. I remember heavy snow in Gloucester when I was a kid in the 80's but I've very few memories of it repeating and lasting so long. Cold again next week with chance of more?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Stopped snowing here, but it never turned to rain! So far as I can see

Anyway, lots of problems on the roads in Devon and a good 8inches of fresh snow last night making well over a foot of lying snow at the moment. Looks like the big melt is coming starting today though

Not to mention the destruction of bushes/trees from the weight of the snow. Oh and the satellite dish still isn't working...

Other than that, a lovely day on Dartmoor (aside from the thick fog)

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Estimate 7 - 10 cm here in N Swindon my prediction of 0.5cm based on previous let downs was completely wrong

Morning all,

Yep, can confirm that we have about the same (about 3 miles west of you) I`ve just finished a night shift and the roads around Swindon were tricky to say the least, completely covered in snow, no sign of gritters last night.

Still steady light snow atm.

This event seems to have dumped at least as much as last weeks!

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Barely enough to cover the grass. Virtually everything melted yesterday and the replacement is wet snow which is fast disappearing.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

snow fell here too.I've been out and underfoot it is slippery.I am hoping for a thaw as i hate ice and have to travel today.

Posted

Wow. Goes to show how much difference a few miles can make.

I have just arrived at work after taking the dog to the vets for a little op. I observed: 1 inch of snow in Corfe Mullen and some very slippy roads, a dusting in Broadstone (0.8 mile down the road) and now at work on the Nuffield Ind Est in Poole (2 miles from Broadstone) there is absolutely zilch. Amazing. Guess that gives a good explanation of how difficult Snow is to forecast!

Posted

Got about 3/4 fresh inches here :yahoo: sat at Swindon station now waiting for my extremely delayed train to work at bath now.

The passing ghost trains that have been running to keep the lines clear at top speed have created small versions of those self rolling snow balls by the side of the track. Quite cool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning folks, it's stopped snowing here, by the looks of the radar we won't be getting any more either. I'd guesstimate we've had about 5-6 inches here, currently -0.7.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Wow it came down in the early hours!

7 inches of fresh snow shok.gifyahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Morning all, still snowing here, not sure how much we have had. Traffic almost at a standstill in Lobleys Drive & Abbeymead in both directions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Left the car at the bottom of the hill last night and had a walk down in heavy snow this morning, after a slippery slidey trip out to the M5 I had no further issues and am now at Work in Bristol.