Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lightning Colours

CaptainHappy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

I suppose depending on what is in the atmosphere, lightning can either be coloured or diffused; fairly similar to certain filters you can put on cameras lense.

The atmospheric conditions determine the color of lightning.

Blue lightning indicates the presence of hail or even snow. Red lightning indicates the presence of rain. Yellow or orange lightning indicates dust particle in the air. White lightning is a sign of low humidity in the air. White lightning is particularly feared as this is said to bring a risk of fires due to the low humidity conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hi Southernskies,:cray:

Hope this helps:

Coloured lightning is a result of atmospheric pollutants. A lightning bolt is very hot and produces a blue white light. When that light passes through dust or other pollutants in the sky it may take on a different color as the pollutants act as filters. In this photo the nearby lightning is blue white while the lightning in the distance has taken on a yellowish color due to the shorter wavelengths of light (blues and greens) being absorbed by dust lifted into the atmosphere by this Arizona monsoon storm.

http://www.gc.maricopa.edu/earthsci/imagearchive/lightning.htm