Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Potential for higher ground possibly but going to be very marginal I suspect.

Posted

I don't think any gritting happened yesterday - Stourbridge Road was completely gridlocked in the morning. It's usually among the higher priority roads as well.

Posted

The A449 was stationery in both directions practically all the way from Wolverhampton to Kiddy with Himley, Kingswinford and Wordsley gridlocked. I pulled over and had a kip in a layby for a while as the traffic was going nowhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Some quite hefty snow showers now filtering down through the cheshire gap....areas near Nantwich, Stoke, down to Stafford look to be in the firing line for moderate/heavy precip this afternoon smile.gifpost-4149-12650345400188_thumb.txt

yeah but only fell as sleet/wet snow, I still have some snow left, amazed really didnt think I would have any left

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Its just dropped below freezing. currently -0.4c. We have rain forecast for later this evening so I guess the temps are due to rise?

The canal is frozen over and has been all day, it was frozen yesterday but was broken up by boats passing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Updated BBC maps show the risk of some snow on Wednesday for us. Rain following on it seems as expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A fairly boring last couple of weeks weatherwise. The ECM model has, however, restored some hope in a return to very cold, and potentially snowy conditions for the U.K. In the nearer timeframe Wednesday may hold a spell of wintry precip for a time as a weather system and its associated fronts push across the country. The risk always greatest over high ground. Still the possibility of wet snow on Wednesday at lower levels as the precip moves in but should quickly turn back to rain as milder air is introduced. Overall, nothing noteworthy.

I take it your area has missed out on the likes of the chaos around Dudley, Worcestershire and Staffordshire today and other snow showers yesterday?

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Yeah. A couple of moderate or, at times, heavy snow showers last night left a nice covering, clearing to then leave clear skies during the rest of the night. Most of the showers- which were fairly intense judging by Radar - were a good few miles to my south west. No surprise to read of difficulty on some roads in the worst affected areas.

Yeah our area and around Kidderminster, Bewdley, Bridgnorth got slammed by some heavy showers last night. There was about 3/4cm in parts of the garden this morning. Much has melted now but a fair bit remains on the ground where as elsewhere has lost loads of the snow.

Posted

The roads were a disgrace around Newcastle Under Lyme this morning, there has only been a total of about 3cm of snow and it froze last night but I was shocked that the gritters didd't appear to have been out.

Its was chaos at its worst here and its the worst ive seen it over the smallest bit of snow!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Its was chaos at its worst here and its the worst ive seen it over the smallest bit of snow!!!

was bad here as well, bout same amount of snow as Ian, need to update your sig, 19th dec 2cms that it? incedentally I missed it that evening

Posted

The roads were a disgrace around Newcastle Under Lyme this morning, there has only been a total of about 3cm of snow and it froze last night but I was shocked that the gritters didd't appear to have been out.

Less than 2cm was all it took to bring mayhem around here and the Black Country. On Midlands Today the Telford council guy said the gritters had been out earlier in the evening and then in the morning. He said there must have been a bit of a thaw for the earlier grit to have been "trapped" under a layer of ice before the snow fell on it.

It began to freeze hard straight after dark. I suppose there was a chance of a slight warming as cloud cover increased before the overnight snow showers but I cant really see that happening myself. Anyone got any views or temperature readings to confirm that?

Edited by kar999

Posted

was bad here as well, bout same amount of snow as Ian, need to update your sig, 19th dec 2cms that it? incedentally I missed it that evening

Updated sig. :aggressive:

Upto about 14 days where snow was heavy enough to be counted. (Needs to be generally moderate or light and prolonged at least.

Posted

Like others there was 1-2cm last night which made the roads fun this morning (luckily I didn't have to go out early)- think there may have been freezing rain and/or a slight thaw then refreeze at some point as it was unusually "icy" snow. Strangely while the cover stayed here (NE side of Shrewsbury) pretty much all day and is still around 50%, in the south and west of town it was mostly gone by 2pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Yeah. A couple of moderate or, at times, heavy snow showers last night left a nice covering, clearing to then leave clear skies during the rest of the night. Most of the showers- which were fairly intense judging by Radar - were a good few miles to my south west. No surprise to read of difficulty on some roads in the worst affected areas.

Same here. The dusting of snow on ground last night and this morning seems to be a good sign that the Birmingham snow shield finally crumbled in many places.

Wednesday does look good, indeed, although I would admit it would not be worth getting too excited, since obviously a lot could change, and the snow sheild may have repaired itself by then. Should the snow sheild have re-generated by then, I just hope it does not increase in power, or we're ruined.sad.gif

Posted

well i had an interesting weekend.

Went over to Lowestoft in Suffolk on Saturday to see family. East Suffolk had a couple of cm of snow on the ground when i got there.

Left on the train Sunday afternoon to come back to Stourbridge. Past Ipswich and towards to London it all turned green again and i thought that would be the last i would see of the snow...

....until i was on the Moor Street-Stourbridge Junction train. Rather surprised to see everything turn white from Langley Green westwards. Albeit just a dusting. So the only two places on my journey with lying snow was where i got on in Suffolk and where i got off in Stourbridge...everything green inbetween!

And then of course there was last night and this morning. 2 hours to get from Wordsley to where i work in Blackheath this morning....5 miles! Crazy stuff.

Looks uneventful for wintry conditions for the rest of the week. Sadly back to the gloom as well. Once again this weekend colder weather bought blue skies with it and its a shame thats going away again.

Still lots of potential interest to come further down the line i reckon. Last nights snow is like the stuff we desperately start wishing for in mid March during snowless winters....whatever happens now...we don't have that pressure this year. If anything we'll be looking for the first 20C in mid March i reckon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I guess so.

I'm still kind of new when in comes to knowing about the right conidtions for snow, but I suppose some lower upper temperatures for Wednesday would probably help with the chances of snow further, even though like you said, the colder air will get pushed away, (meaning a stronger snow shield).