Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Well I see snow outside...albeit my last remaining square foot of it :wallbash:

Should be some interesting potential for at least some wintriness over the next 7 days. May be not snow, but perhaps not rain either.

Its more of a low fluctation around the normal temps.

Posted

The milder air seems to of moved into much of the Midlands now yet here its still just 2c with thick fog and very slushy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thoroughly depressing day, a typical end of cold spell day. Less cold (but not mild), misty, occasional rain and the revolting brown slush that covers the pavements.

Posted

Looks like the fog is making a difference. Outside of it, I got to the (compared to recently) dizzy heights of 5oC.

Nice to see still a good covering of snow driving along the M1 between jnctn 22 to 23.

Postcode NN9 (Kettering) and DE73 (Derby) appear to have had the same problem over the last few weeks...not much lying snow :doh:

Still, my foot square of snow is still there, although now down to 1/2 a foot square.

Posted

Up to a tropical 3.6c here now in the thick fog but the snow hasn't thawed enough to expose any grass yet :doh:

Posted

Best kind of thaw really, heavy rain eating into the snow cover.

Tell a lie...the best kind is warm sunshine melting everything within a day, but we need to be from Mid February onwards for that one to have its full effect.

I don't like snow melting very slowly..it becomes a real pain after a while. When the thaw starts, get rid of it quick!

It feels quite mild this evening..even though going by January averages its still quite chilly.

As for the next cold spell...my view is that we have at least a week's break from cold weather now...if not 2. But i would be very happy to be proven wrong!

Not looking forward to my favourite dog walk to becoming a swamp again.

Edited by Gord

Posted

Did anyone see any snow this morning ? It was 1C and pelting down with rain here at 8am so I would have expected higher areas around Leek especially to have seen snow before it turned to rain.

Hi,

Totally hammered down around 08.15 in Buxton we got 1.5 inches in 20minutes !!

regards,

Kev walker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

well thats it folks, real shame, really enjoyed it, but back to normal now, (except for keviwal who is due a dumping tomorrow!)

the straw clutching in the model thread is unreal, its mild now for the rest of Jan at least, maybe drier on mon and tue, this time last week my happiest time ever weatherwise

my snow virtually all gone, maybe more in feb,

Posted

:cray: We didnt even get that in 20 days, let alone 20 minutes ;)

I kid you not!

We have only just got the the 4 major roads in/out of buxton open <_<

Have a look at the link below

http://www.cheshiree...t_and_roads.asp

I went up there in a bv206 ( do a google search) and could not believe it when folk were saying drifts 12' high, i soon shut up when i saw it with my own eyes.

So you think we are game on for tomorrow then snow wise? Hope not i,m really really bored with snow now its been laying here for a month.( waits to get lynched)

Cheers

Kev W

Edited by keviwal

Posted

I kid you not!

We have only just got the the 4 major roads in/out of buxton open :whistling:

I went up there in a bv206 ( do a google search) and could not believe it when folk were saying drifts 12' high, i soon shut up when i saw it with my own eyes.

So you think we are game on for tomorrow then snow wise? Hope not i,m really really bored with snow now its been laying here for a month.( waits to get lynched)

Cheers

Kev W

can i have some then? Used to work with someone from buxton, around 360m asl, guaranteed to be snowed in every cold spell, always on the right side of marginal, I bet you did well on 29/30th Dec?

as I say really sad now, still remember how it started

10th Dec 2009

when the high moved up from south

Posted

can i have some then? Used to work with someone from buxton, around 360m asl, guaranteed to be snowed in every cold spell, always on the right side of marginal, I bet you did well on 29/30th Dec?

as I say really sad now, still remember how it started

10th Dec 2009

when the high moved up from south

yup got about 6" that day if remember rightly, although i could be wrong :whistling:

If you like snow then you are gauranteed it evey year. I have lived in Buxton now for 8 years ( moved from dorset) and i cannot remember a single year we didnt get snow, although some years very short lived!

I live about 330metres asl and where i work is about 380m asl and we get a diffrence ie not snowing at home and hammering down where i work, it really is that marginal sometimes.

Regards,

Kev W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

yup got about 6" that day if remember rightly, although i could be wrong cc_confused.gif

If you like snow then you are gauranteed it evey year. I have lived in Buxton now for 8 years ( moved from dorset) and i cannot remember a single year we didnt get snow, although some years very short lived!

I live about 330metres asl and where i work is about 380m asl and we get a diffrence ie not snowing at home and hammering down where i work, it really is that marginal sometimes.

Regards,

Kev W

on the bbc web site for Wednesday heavy snow is that right .not far from us about 30Min away

Posted

on the bbc web site for Wednesday heavy snow is that right .not far from us about 30Min away

yeah just seen that, it shows an exact repeat of 12th-13th Jan, but I feel the air wont be cold enough this time,

this time last friday bbc said heavy snow for wednesday and was right, but im not confident of next week

Posted

I kid you not!

We have only just got the the 4 major roads in/out of buxton open :whistling:

Cheers

Kev W

I'd probably say a decent chance tomorrow for your location. As you say above, a good location for ppn being snow due to ASL.

Can't believe those pics of the A54. Heard the A53 from Leek to Buxton was bad. Due to the lack of snow here, was considering going up from here to Leek, Macclesfield on to Holmes Chapel, and then up the M6/56 to Warrington. That was until I heard the road was closed due to snow drifts (this Monday).

Used to live in Wilmslow, and used to love going to the peaks in the winter. A little further now living in South Derbyshire, but intend on still coming over the next month of so.

Mind you, i'm in Denmark and Slovakia over the next 4 weeks, so if I don't see any decent snow by then, i'll be gutted.

BTW - like the BV206 :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

WELL WELL WELL i no it could change but the bbc regional are going for heavy snow for the midlands next wed and max of 0c

Posted

I'd probably say a decent chance tomorrow for your location. As you say above, a good location for ppn being snow due to ASL.

Can't believe those pics of the A54. Heard the A53 from Leek to Buxton was bad. Due to the lack of snow here, was considering going up from here to Leek, Macclesfield on to Holmes Chapel, and then up the M6/56 to Warrington. That was until I heard the road was closed due to snow drifts (this Monday).

Used to live in Wilmslow, and used to love going to the peaks in the winter. A little further now living in South Derbyshire, but intend on still coming over the next month of so.

Mind you, i'm in Denmark and Slovakia over the next 4 weeks, so if I don't see any decent snow by then, i'll be gutted.

BTW - like the BV206 :whistling:

Yup tis good goes anywhere , was driving ove 5' snow drifts in it tuther day.

But luckily i don't have to run it as it is owned by the organisation i work for, it only does 4 to the gallon and its petrol. :pardon:.

Cheers for now

Kev W

Edited by keviwal

Posted

I haven't got my hopes up for next Wednesday.

Looks we're now entering the forgettable half of January. Can't remember what happened in the second half of January last year and I think this year will be the same.

I've gone over the top turning the heating down in my house though...I'm cold now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I would love some more snow, but if no snows on offer please please can this horrid rain go away. Got soaked and muddy walking dog yesterday and today.

All the snow here is gone but the canal is still frozen.

Some of the model thread I people sound cautiously hopeful about Wednesday.

Posted

Early advisory for heavy snow on Weds for the West Mids, Derbys and Notts.

are u serious? shok.gif

as much as i love snow, im not a huge fan of the cold! i could have done with some milder weather coming in and a few nice windy atlantic lows for awhile! pardon.gif

Edited by loopydreamer