Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Regarding Wednesdays event, looking a the GFS 12z 850's, 500's, dewpoint, T2M temps, ppn intensity and ppn type, I can't see support for snow bar the far northern hills (outside of our region).

I would say a chilly day, but a chilly and wet day (similar to Thursday).

Posted

WELL WELL WELL i no it could change but the bbc regional are going for heavy snow for the midlands next wed and max of 0c

0c on wednesday????????? i will eat my hat if its that cold! acute.gif

i really cant see it being that cold! it will be too mild for snow i think ph34r.gif

Regarding Wednesdays event, looking a the GFS 12z 850's, 500's, dewpoint, T2M temps, ppn intensity and ppn type, I can't see support for snow bar the far northern hills (outside of our region).

I would say a chilly day, but a chilly and wet day (similar to Thursday).

i totally agree with u shiny, and you camper smile.gif

Edited by loopydreamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Those expecting snow on Wednesday are going to be horrendously disappointed. It is going to be far too warm, the Met Office warning especially mentions high ground. So unless you live 300m+ you will not be getting anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tbh i dont think we will see anything here however i shall stay neutral until the day itself! BBC maps do show snow over us on Wednesday but it will only chnage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Snow for Wednesday? I really can't see that happening here :), if it does I may just eat one of my many hats.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=201001161200&VAR=taup&HH=90&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

Dew points too high, surface temps between 2-5c and I have lots of Trash due to be picked up which hasn't been collected in weeks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Tbh i dont think we will see anything here however i shall stay neutral until the day itself! BBC maps do show snow over us on Wednesday but it will only chnage.

last 2 wednesdays been fantastic, but not next week, as nick says too mild, just no cold air in place unlike last wed,

6.3C max today, my warmest day for over a month, mild now i say for rest of Jan but lets have it dry

Posted

last 2 wednesdays been fantastic, but not next week, as nick says too mild, just no cold air in place unlike last wed,

6.3C max today, my warmest day for over a month, mild now i say for rest of Jan but lets have it dry

I doubt it will be mild. I would say average (6-7c). Mild to me is high single figures upwards, which I doubt we will see much of over the next week to 10 days. Certainly felt mild though today after 3 weeks of cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well i really didnt expect the Met Office Forecast for here on Wednesday to be as it is now-they must be seeing something we cant. They have Heavy Snow Tuesday Night and Wednesday. Im very doubtful of that.

I remain neutral. :drinks:

Posted

Met Office showing no signs of backing down with their updated warning for Wednesday. Be interesting to see what the Country Tracks forecast says.

Posted

Yes, I'm not convinced about Wednesday either. All I see is a wet and raw day...pretty miserable really.

Looking for more mild sunshine like today now.

I have to keep reminding myself that there have been many years where at this point, we were still waiting for the best of winter.

If the cold and snow is truly behind us for this year though...i would vote for a February like 1998...something completly opposite!

Posted

No snow left now, it's all green and im very surprised the grass isnt dead after being frozen for weeks on end.

Posted

I have to say that despite the cold spell being over and despite the fact that the outlook is far from ideal...today is an absolutely fantastic day!

Just been to Highgate Common out in the countryside to the west of Stourbridge with the dog. What a beautiful walk! A winter sun getting low in the sky, many people and dogs out enjoying themselves. The common has dried underfoot better than i thought it would and there are just one or two icy patches to remind us of what has just been. Its not too cold but enough of a chill in the air to remind you that it is January. After cold and snow this is one of the best conditions you can get out of this month.

Shame its not going to last and its set to turn more miserable this week. But if you are downheaated that the cold spell is over...then get out there...its a really nice day!

Posted

I have to say that despite the cold spell being over and despite the fact that the outlook is far from ideal...today is an absolutely fantastic day!

Just been to Highgate Common out in the countryside to the west of Stourbridge with the dog. What a beautiful walk! A winter sun getting low in the sky, many people and dogs out enjoying themselves. The common has dried underfoot better than i thought it would and there are just one or two icy patches to remind us of what has just been. Its not too cold but enough of a chill in the air to remind you that it is January. After cold and snow this is one of the best conditions you can get out of this month.

Shame its not going to last and its set to turn more miserable this week. But if you are downheaated that the cold spell is over...then get out there...its a really nice day!

I agree. When i walked the dog earlier it felt great. A hooded top was enough as an extra layer-no gloves, hats etc. A lovely day. Tomorrow looks rather miserable then things turn unsettled afterwards. I still doubt any snow on Wednesday particularly on low ground.

Posted

very interesting countryfile weather for wednesday, snow almost anywhere north of the M4, its an exact repeat of tues/wed last week (at least i hope) but not too good on thursday, then drier end to week

Posted

very interesting countryfile weather for wednesday, snow almost anywhere north of the M4, its an exact repeat of tues/wed last week (at least i hope) but not too good on thursday, then drier end to week

This could be three Wednesdays on the trot with decent snowfall, should be renamed "wintry Wednesday".

Posted

This could be three Wednesdays on the trot with decent snowfall, should be renamed "wintry Wednesday".

yeah that would be amazing, I just hope its not like 29th Dec 09, starting off as rain, then only wet snow that struggled to lie,

Posted

Met Office still going for heavy snow here tomorrow night and Wednesday. :D

Will have to see if it can be the third wintry wednesday on the trot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I think this is very unlikely given the other output this morning, I think the advisory will be taken down today.

I agree, Ian, or at least it will be significantly adjusted. Everything looking on the wrong side of marginal except on the highest ground and the precipitation looks unlikely to get as far north as that.

Posted

Met Office advisory still keeps the entire west Midlands in the warning zone. 2-5cm generally with up to 10cm in places. It better not be too bad as I have a maths exam in the afternoon!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

Anyone see the bbc weather after the one oclock news had to laugh at thomas shafanacker(soz dont no how to spell his last name) but talk about covering your back when forcasting the snow for weds he had to state remember this is only a forcast it might not turn out this way its only a forcast he seemed to me that he never had a clue rearlycc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Humm thought that was the end of the snow but just checked weather forecast for tomorrow night and wednesday and it has temps around 0C and heavy snow drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

More fun and games then lolpardon.gif .............

I do reckon the meto are on the cautionary side with this though................

Posted

I fully expect to get 5 minutes of sleet on Wednesday. Well, maybe 3 minutes. Possibly.

I really can't see that there'll be any more at this elevation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

There is no chance of snow here on Wednesday. Absolutely no chance whatsoever. The models just don't agree with it, maybe over 200m in the Midlands will see some but certainly not on low ground and seeing as most of the Midlands is below 200m then thats most of us :drinks: