Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2010 Convective Storm Wishes/wish List

liambailey09

Posted

Right, i know its only january and we should all be trying to enjoy the cold weather, but i am really looking forward to seeing a few storms. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on what people would like to see in 2010 storm wise.

The one thing i would love to witness this year is a storm during the night. Don't recall a storm in the night for a few years unless i have slept through it whistling.gif

Okay guys, what are yours?

cheers Liam

Posted

I too love storms at night, we had one here last july in the early hours constantly lighting the room up and amazing to watch. A level 3 estofex warning would be nice for a change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

What's a storm Lol!<_<

My wish for 2010 would be to witness 'At least' one storm. One rumble of thunder will be good enough for me lol

Awww, I so miss the storms here in Gloucestershire:(Not had any for a couple of years now.:cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

To be within a mile and a half of a tornado and actually see it this time :whistling:

Posted

Main wish is for an active Tornado Season and that at least 1 Tornado occurs on each of the Tours for people coming from Netweather this year.

Another good Storm Season would be nice in the Uk although I think I am pushing it seeing as I got 15 Very Good Storms in the SE Last year from June to November Including an EF2 Tornado in Benfleet Essex 2 Months ago.

Other than that I hope many people get widespread storms much like the widespread snow the Uk has seen.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Hello Folks,

I am looking forward to then summer evenings with a Spanish Plume present and low pressure in evidence with storms coming over the Channel into Essex.

Bring it on!diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What's a storm Lol!:lol:

My wish for 2010 would be to witness 'At least' one storm. One rumble of thunder will be good enough for me lol

Awww, I so miss the storms here in Gloucestershire:(Not had any for a couple of years now.:(

Aww poor JL! I hope above all you get to see some decent storms this year.

Had 23 storm events here in 2009, over 15 days, though having said that, none of them stood out as being especially memorable - well, I suppose the thundersnow on 17th Dec and the several VERY close lightning bolts in July (iirc), both of which occurred in Medway.

Had some very enjoyable plume events this year, in fact I'd say we had more plume events in 2009 than we have in the preceeding few years. That said, many ended in disappointment as the mysterious Eastward shift kept them away from inland Kent, with E Kent bagging a lot of the booty.

My hope for 2010 (excluding bagging some amazing experiences in the US), is that we have another (I say another as 2009 was a very good summer for the SE) hot and humid summer, with plenty of plume events as these are by far my favourite. I would hope that this mysterious Eastern shift stops occurring, and that more of the big storms keep on course for more inland areas, especially those intense banging storms of old - another 6th Aug 2008 would be awesome also!!

Tend to notice that cold, biting winters are followed by hot summers, so fingers crossed 2010 will be an awesome, memorable year :D

Posted

Hoping for one really decent storm this year, 2009 was a bad year for Bath and Exeter, hope 2010 is better, something like 2008 would be alright. Hopefully Harry is right about a good summer after a cold winter. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My favourite three weather patterns, all year around, are:

1. Bright showery polar maritime air from the W/SW (of the sort you get in the wake of cold fronts)

2. Bright showery Arctic air (NW/N/NE/E in winter, NW/N in summer)

3. Anticyclonic with high pressure over and to the E of Britain. Spanish plumes can occur within a spell of type 3, or in the transition from type 3 to type 1.

...and in summer I prefer to see a higher ratio of 3 relative to 1 and 2 than in winter.

I think particularly with being in Norwich, if we can get a lot of those three patterns we should get a pretty active storm season here. Some overhead thunderstorms with frequent lightning, preferably at a time when I'm free to capture it on video, would be good. I would also like to see a funnel cloud but preferably one that doesn't touch the ground (so that I get the awe of seeing it but at the same time nobody suffers any destruction). My 15th birthday, 22 June 1999, had one of those in Tyneside!

Posted

I'm just looking for a decent storm out to sea with enough flashes in one place so I can get the 'perfect' lightning picture (oh and I don't want it to be raining where I'm standing at the time!!!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Another summer like 2009 would do me fine: warm and sunny enough, and with plenty convection!!! :whistling:

Posted

A storm season like 2004 would be quite good, beastly MCS event that blew up right over the UK and also a very thundery August in general will do very nicely!

Also I'd quite enjoy a very showery Spring simply for the cloud formations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Ideally I would like precipitation to be predominantly convective in origin all year around, with just the odd frontal event thrown in for variety, instead of the default UK pattern of it being the opposite way around. But maybe, barring the odd month here and there, we're in the wrong country for that lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Ahhhhh.

I cant wait for the hot humid summer evenings, Sitting in the garden drinking a bud and reading the forum.

Watching people moan and groan about storms moving up from the BoBiscay and not reaching us.

Then watching the same storms hit land and grow. Watching the towers rocket as they reach enough height to access the 2000kj cape and then completely miss my house.

How i love summer :)

Oh and the long days of watching the strikes and cells moving in to the UK. BRING IT ON!

This year will be the one to remember! ( hopefully )

post-182-12656561326017_thumb.png

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

sunny start with convective shrs building through the day turning into huge storms by the evening after a hot day, storms flashing frequently on the s/se and east horizon during sunset with purples deep blues and pink and red lightning moving towards my area with deep low rumbles taking ages to get here then lasting hrs with some great photos to drunk.gifcant wait!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I could really do with seeing a proper storm this year. I have had my fair share of storms passing near by, but not one directly going over head since 2006.

**Disclaimer** I don't want to be struck by lightning or flooded by torrential down pours.

Posted

Here's mine:

April & May: Extreme troughing initialy over, then to the west of the uk - drawing up southerlys with a powerful jet stream aloft. Temps rising to 24c and some intense hail storms and long lasting storm modes

June & July: 2 months of glorious high pressure, being broken every 10 days or so after increasing humidity and temps rising to 32c by day - 22c at night, by intense strobing night time thunderstorms, then the heat building back in.

August: A powerful ex hurricane sits out to the west of Ireland, pumping extreme moisture over us - heat and humidity interspersed with absolute downpours. A couple of long track supercells moving SW to NE across the country dropping tornadoes and baseball size hail on a couple of saturdays .. huge forum convergence.

Winter 2010: Coupled with extremely cold uppers, magma mysteriousely breaks the crust just below the waterline in a 30 mile long, 10 mile wide swathe of the Bristol Channel SW'wards - the convection resulting from the steam creates a standing supercell with an anvil stretching for 300 miles, hailstones the size of basketballs, lightning 10 times per second.

Not much to ask is it ?

Posted

Here's mine:

April & May: Extreme troughing initialy over, then to the west of the uk - drawing up southerlys with a powerful jet stream aloft. Temps rising to 24c and some intense hail storms and long lasting storm modes

June & July: 2 months of glorious high pressure, being broken every 10 days or so after increasing humidity and temps rising to 32c by day - 22c at night, by intense strobing night time thunderstorms, then the heat building back in.

August: A powerful ex hurricane sits out to the west of Ireland, pumping extreme moisture over us - heat and humidity interspersed with absolute downpours. A couple of long track supercells moving SW to NE across the country dropping tornadoes and baseball size hail on a couple of saturdays .. huge forum convergence.

Winter 2010: Coupled with extremely cold uppers, magma mysteriousely breaks the crust just below the waterline in a 30 mile long, 10 mile wide swathe of the Bristol Channel SW'wards - the convection resulting from the steam creates a standing supercell with an anvil stretching for 300 miles, hailstones the size of basketballs, lightning 10 times per second.

Not much to ask is it ?

LoL. That brightened my evening. Esp, the MAGMA! "In a Dr.Evil kind of voice"

Posted

Here's mine:

Not much to ask is it ?

now thats my kind of real Thunderstorm's..not the fart's in the wind :wallbash:

Posted

Here's mine:

Not much to ask is it ?

This has just made my day :( i actally really want it to warm up now and not this cold weather continueing. Lets all hope the SW finally sees some decent storms in fact i want the classic storms that move up from SW.

Posted

hi when does the 'storm season' start?

Id say in the UK, its probably Mid april.

April showers can bring some great convective storms.

However the big stuff "Normally" happens between end of may -> end of august.

Posted

Ironically there's some pretty good convection about now, in some eastern parts of England (including here). A warm-up at this stage would probably mean less chance of convection making its presence felt until April, as most warm setups at this time of year tend to be either anticyclonic or tropical maritime, with the exception of the cyclonic south/south-westerly.

Posted

This year I would like to, unlike 2009, see at least one decent flash of lightning and 1. not miss two in one night time shower with bedroom blind closed, or 2. hear a few daytime rumbles of thunder which I'd have seen the lightning of at night time, or 3. see distant sheet lightning when driving after 18.00 on December 23rd!!!

Very encouraging to have excellent convective snow showers a few days ago following just 5 days on from some large CBs last Friday, certainly whetted my appetite for hopefully a better year this time around