Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Excitometer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

I have been watching for ages, posted a couple. I have noticed that activity (particularly in 'Winter Discussion' - can't think why?!) gets into a frenzy when models predict cold / snow, and really slow down when milder predictions are output. My take on this is that a 'real time' activity meter on this site would be a pretty good guide to the likelihood of any weather outside the UK average. The more posts per minute (hour?) the more likely an unusual weather event is being discussed, so therefore an 'Excitometer' would provide everyone with a really great forecast for average or extreme weather coming up. I would even go further to suggest that higher activity would suggest model convergence as it always seems to me that when the models start to converge everyone jumps in with their own forecasts, but when models are disparate people generally stay quiet for fear of getting it wrong!

Think about it guys - I honestly think this would provide not only a good indicator of likely unusual weather, but would inevitably reveal loads about the psychology of forecasters!

PS Don't forget the server upgrades you were forced into in the first week of Jan!! That was surely a sign of the 'Excitometer' going into the red!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Yeah Guys, just a colour alert bar at the top of the page would do it (green to red).

smile.gif

Posted

Thanks for this, I think it's a really cool idea - will see what's needed technically and if it's feasible we'll certainly have a good look at doing it :drinks:

Posted

Thanks for this, I think it's a really cool idea - will see what's needed technically and if it's feasible we'll certainly have a good look at doing it biggrin.gif

am sure Karlos can knock a Graphic up showing traffic flow Paul :drinks:

a very good idea ITV. will be nice to see if it can be done.

oh, and welcome to NW :doh:

Posted

Yes, great idea, my indication at the moment is a quick look at the "latest discussion on the forum" section of the home page. Less active times show something like now which is...

Excitometer

Curious Tam O' Shanter ?

Today's Weather And General Chat

Growing Chillies

The Whining Thread

Model Output Discussion

Cold Spell The Sum Up

If there was something exciting happening in winter, there would be lots of Cold Spell discussions in there and if something was about to happen, the Model Output Discussion would be constantly at the top. :drinks:

Edited by potsy

Posted

Well, after the last snow event........

thermometer_burst_md_wht.gif

Posted

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the enthusiatic response to the suggestion! I am sure that, over time, data relating to traffic flow in response to model output type (cold/mild/windy/hot etc.) would show some very interesting patterns that may help you plan capacity and show what folk get excited about the most! I suspect that may lead you onto new products that are targetted at weather types that can respond directly to model outputs. Maybe....

Good luck!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

What a cool idea, sure to be a 'hit'... It will be interesting to see the 'regional' threads battling it out when there's a widespread UK event, well for second place as we all know who'll be first...!!:rolleyes:

Posted

Oh Boy! My Excitometer would have made interesting viewing this evening!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think it would have broken back in the January freeze! Good idea.

Edited by nick2702

• 8 months later...
Posted

Any plans to put this together in time for this winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

what a brill idea

Posted

Excellent news Paul - well done. Mind you, winter may be too late. Today's GFS 12z would have created some spike on the Excitometer....... I can see the run up to winter being quite heated (not literally) after last year...ho hum. I do think that the raw data behind an Excitometer would allow some really interesting analysis of both the expected weather (quite interesting) and the psychology of peoples reaction to it (much more interesting!!). 

• 2 months later...
Posted

Did this ever get off the ground - or did it implode in Beta? I recall before Xmas that it was due to be implemented soon.

Posted

What a cool idea, sure to be a 'hit'... It will be interesting to see the 'regional' threads battling it out when there's a widespread UK event, well for second place as we all know who'll be first...!!:rolleyes:

Central Southern would definitely be last as most of our lot go onto South East thread because we rarely get snow. Did well in december though. Well some places did, not Bognor, we got nothing like.

I also think it would be a great idea as it would be most noticeable where all the fun was.

• 1 month later...
Posted

It would be so enlightening right now........