Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Cold spell has come to an end here at the moment milder westerlies 6.2c max

Snow drifts still left getting tough but thawing with water running underneath, I hope they don`t thaw too much before this N-ly digs in friday, as tomorrow doesn`t look cold or mild but the thaw will carry on.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn2417.png

Posted

Hi Folks

Just Drove from Manchester to Nottingham via Buxton, the car was showing avererage temps over the Derbyshire Dales of 5 degrees, most of the snow has disappeared, from what I could see through the fog and low cloud, though some dramatic snow drifts live on in glorious isolation, lets hope we get some top ups next week.

Cheers

FC

Posted

I agree with some of your post Matt, but I can confirm that Ireland got the severest wintry spell in early Jan not seen for 50 years. Almost a month without a thaw is good going for an island skirting the atlantic

Well, I would agree that this has undoubtedly been the coldest and most severe winter I can remember (I am 27). I guess it just goes to show that severe cold weather is still possible in the UK.<_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well, I would agree that this has undoubtedly been the coldest and most severe winter I can remember (I am 27). I guess it just goes to show that severe cold weather is still possible in the UK.<_<

To be fair its not really been a severe winter, cold for an extended time with 3 inches of snow on and off is how winters in the UK should be annually. Its mainly because we haven't seen any reasonable amount of snow for a number of years.

Snowfall every year in the UK at our latitude is not too much to ask.

Edited by rikki

Posted

To be fair its not really been a severe winter, cold for an extended time with 3 inches of snow on and off is how winters in the UK should be annually. Its mainly because we haven't seen any reasonable amount of snow for a number of years.

Snowfall every year in the UK at our latitude is not too much to ask.

speak for yourself,this year was the first in 30 years we had to draught in michigan and jcb shovels.the local area still has piles of snow/ice over 10ft high.i assure you it was a very memorable event up here.

fully understand other peoples opinions,but the whole country can't be tarred with the same brush.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

speak for yourself,this year was the first in 30 years we had to draught in michigan and jcb shovels.the local area still has piles of snow/ice over 10ft high.i assure you it was a very memorable event up here.

fully understand other peoples opinions,but the whole country can't be tarred with the same brush.

Even down here it was a very memorable event, it surpassed the Feb 91 event for sure <_< The snow 'only' ever reached 8-12 inches around Newcastle, which has been surpassed many times in the past, but the fact that it lay for so long made it truly memorable. Also worth pointing out that some areas of Northumberland had 3-4 feet! The cold spell before Christmas was very good thanks to the Christmassy landscapes and severe frosts, though the snowfall amounts weren't huge. But the main thing was that N England and Scotland never really had a break between that event and the New Year one, the 29th/30th saw 4°C here I think but that was the max.

Posted

The prolonged nature of the cold spell was notable. But I never felt the conditions were particulary severe/intense. I would have much preferred a repeat of easterly events of 87/91.

Snow depths weren't a great deal more than last year, there was actually less drifting. The truely severe winters as 78/79 were in a different league to this spell.

Posted

Hi Folks

Just Drove from Manchester to Nottingham via Buxton, the car was showing avererage temps over the Derbyshire Dales of 5 degrees, most of the snow has disappeared, from what I could see through the fog and low cloud, though some dramatic snow drifts live on in glorious isolation, lets hope we get some top ups next week.

Cheers

FC

Only last week I went through Bedfordshire and there were still minor remains of snow drifts, only the very last of the snow. Probably all gone now, but hopefully some more soon.

Posted

Well, it has not actually felt warm here since early December... it certainly hasn't 'felt' like past winters... I'm 28 and I'd rate this winter 'so far' with 87 and 91 - true, these spells were perhaps sharper and snowier but they did not have 15 days of lying snow - that is quite something for this part of the world!

I'm getting really bored of the weather currently to be honest, it's like a druggie being on a high(the epic cold spell we had mid Dec to mid Jan) before the inevitable come down(the past few weeks), looking for some warmth now to be honest but i`ll have to wait a long long time if the models are anything to go by wallbash.gif

The northerly just isnt delivering at all, heavy rain tonight.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

There should be very few doubting Thomasa's out there anymore the signs have been

there for over a week now for this easterly transition.

For me the only question left is how cold is it likely to get, I certainly think another 91

could be up for grabs and even surpassed for duration. This will be a severe prolonged

spell for the whole country, with snow for many due to various features.

Still looking very cold over the weekend with quite a potent northerly.

Posted

My kids asked me this morning when it was going to snow. I said I couldn't tell them, but there were some excellent trends shown in several of the models. That certainly got them excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

My kids asked me this morning when it was going to snow. I said I couldn't tell them, but there were some excellent trends shown in several of the models. That certainly got them excited.

Similar to mine, i told my two 11 year old twin boys about the excellent possibilities shown with the ensembles out in f.i. That look on their faces i will cherish forever...

Edited by jasonuk

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I too am excited, like your children, at the excellent progress you are making, OON, in being able to read the models and spot the trends. That is indeed exciting! Hopefully, at this rate, by the end of winter you will be able to give a full presentation!

c

Posted

The last time I gave a full presentation, I was bound over.

"Dad"

"Yes son?"

"I can't sleep"

"Why not son?"

post-717-12646783627688_thumb.png

"Oh I see. I'll make you a hot chocolate; that'll help you get off"

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

BBC Wales forcast just said that feb looks like it is going to start off very cold,he said its coming back the cold weather that is.

and said it is coming from mainland europe.

Posted

BBC Wales forcast just said that feb looks like it is going to start off very cold,he said its coming back the cold weather that is.

Seems very strange that a BBC weather forecaster, would stick there neck out and say that lmao. However for the cold snap that will take place tomorrow and over the weekend, i dont think snow will be that much of a cause of concern.

Posted

Hi there i dont much about weather or charts but he said something about the high being up over north europe sending it out way.

Seems very strange that a BBC weather forecaster, would stick there neck out and say that lmao. However for the cold snap that will take place tomorrow and over the weekend, i dont think snow will be that much of a cause of concern.

Guest FireStorm

As kold said earlier, it would be very disappointing if we don't at least get some type of continental flow out of this upcoming spell but I think it will happen because the siberian high looks unstoppable this time even though it's still around a week away from impacting on the uk. Let's hope the siberian tiger is let out of it's cage during the next few weeks and provide some real bite for the last month of official winter.

Not too much for this time next month.. I'll be travelling to and from Manchester on the dreaded public transport..

I'm all for another snowy setup like we recently had but at the same time I'd still like to be able to get home to enjoy it :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

nice clear arctic air on its way for the next 3 days, snow showers in the favoured exposed areas, and very cold nights return.

take note of the 1064hpa block the gfs is cooking up to take over the north of europe next week including us, the synoptics on the charts are truely special and should be admired as they dont come about very often!

fi yes, but if that happened we would be in for a hell of a big freeze...

Posted

I posted a blog earlier on "weather on the media" from a BBC forcaster saying very simular

Posted

Morning all

Rainy Scarborough this morning....here is our Paul Hudson, with his latest thoughts on the upcoming colder spell...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

snowing right now in south Lanarkshire looks like a bitterly cold weekend on the cards

Posted

Just started snowing very heavily, really blowing around with HUGE flakes, everywhere wet so not settling yet but netweather forecast is snow all day here according to the mail I just got lol