Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree that some members have taken the complaining too far, I'm just saying that it isn't completely unfounded either, because as you say a disproportionate number of people do come from that area. I also say this as someone in Norwich who looks at East Anglia first and foremost by default when scanning the charts- but for instance if a run was a downgrade for Norwich but brought a snowfest to northern England then I would say so, rather than saying "terrible run".

Posted

Yes but it's the South-east so thats a minus for one :D

I love where i live in West Yorkshire, it's rural...When snow is marginal we get it, when it isn't marginal we reallllly get it and we have some amazing snow drifts. In the spring/summer the it is often pretty dry and lower down we're pretty sheltered so we have long sunny days and in the Autumn the moors look amazing!

Do you think the whole of the SE and EA is Urban then??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Much of Norfolk, Kent and Sussex in particular are far from urban!

Posted

And Cambridgeshire too, a lot of the area is the fenland!

Posted

good.gif

The south downs in Sussex are simply awesome, you can look out over the entire city on a day with good visibility, and on a hot sunny day they are a great sun spot. yahoo.gif

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

The problem is more with the constant stream of pointless one-liners about "downgrade this, upgrade that", resounding pontifications about winter ending or there being absolutely no chance of anything in the next two weeks because a modelisation has shown that that any particular bias towards a region. Too many people taking the runs as gospel, that's why, however wrong they can be at times, I like TEITS, JH and the likes, they try to forecast something using their knowledge rather than just "read" a chart litterally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I agree that some members have taken the complaining too far, I'm just saying that it isn't completely unfounded either, because as you say a disproportionate number of people do come from that area. I also say this as someone in Norwich who looks at East Anglia first and foremost by default when scanning the charts- but for instance if a run was a downgrade for Norwich but brought a snowfest to northern England then I would say so, rather than saying "terrible run".

Although I am not wanting to get into any SE biased argument I do totally agree with this point. There are many times in the Model Discussion Thread when a run is described as being a poor run for snow when for some it could be a very good run for snow. Maybe would be easier for people reading the Model Output threads if posters put something more like 'a poor run for <<insert region they are refering to>>. Not saying its only SE people that are responsible though. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Indeed.

The last run of the day will shortly be underway from the GFS.

And, as if by magic Ian Brown will appear, giving us all his unbiased and accurate weather predictions.

These will of course be wrong,and are only posted to cause further disruption and arguements in the Model Discussion thread.

But the funny thing is, it would seem he can post whatever he likes no matter the problems he causes

Oops, forgot to say he is banned from two other similar weather forum sites.

And i may go the same way for speaking the truth

Hmm, Ian has freedom of speech, and while some of the comments he makes are not supported by many and can come across badly to some at times, I don't think any of them are really nasty or deserving of him being banned. I know this is a question for moderators but I think the forum would be a poorer place without views of people such as Ian.

Posted

Snow showers from a SW wind will be seen again on tuesday in the west that happened at christmas,the low is coming from the north.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/brack1.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Although I am not wanting to get into any SE biased argument I do totally agree with this point. There are many times in the Model Discussion Thread when a run is described as being a poor run for snow when for some it could be a very good run for snow. Maybe would be easier for people reading the Model Output threads if posters put something more like 'a poor run for <<insert region they are refering to>>. Not saying its only SE people that are responsible though. :lol:

I agree, and I don't think that people, on average, in the SE are any more likely to do it than people from any other region of the country- rather, they get noticed because there's a lot more of them! But the excessive regional focus (especially of the "one liner" type which often sees a string of deleted posts) at the expense of the wider picture is a genuine problem in the Model Output Discussion regardless of which regions are being focused on at the expense of others.

Snow showers from a SW wind sounds plausible for Tuesday/Wednesday for many western parts of the country- the airmass could be best described as "returning arctic maritime"!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow showers from a SW wind will be seen again on tuesday in the west that happened at christmas,the low is coming from the north.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/brack1.gif

Is that a trough I see across central/southern Scotland?

Posted

when exactly? LS

Hey, I'm the only LS in this town!biggrin.gif

Tuesday at 12pm, though it doesn't tie in as well with the precipitation charts as I thought it might.

Posted

What are you talking about?

The implication in your post (and perhaps I misunderstood), is that you do better from snow setups because you are rural, and because we in the SE and EA are all huddled on an urban heat island or something, we don't do so well? If you had been to the SE and EA (as many have already stated) much of it is very rural and very beautiful indeed, obviously London/Greater London being the main exception. Take Norwich for example, which is tiny compared to most cities in England, even some towns, the rest is very rural - it's called carrot country for a reason!

Posted

Despite the complaints from some about the lack of big snow events in Norwich in the last two winters relative to many other parts of the country, I think Norwich is a pretty good place to be if you like snow, particularly the "sunshine and snow showers" convective setups, though admittedly it tends not to get much from frontal snow events. The Norwich area is one of the few parts of the country that is exposed to snow showers from both north and east. It may well have been one of the snowiest areas of lowland England during the winters of 1998/99, 2002/03 and 2003/04 in particular.

Most of the rest of Norfolk is similar, but in parts of Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and much of the SE, you often don't get a lot of snow from northerlies.