Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's Looking Forward To Spring

dave79

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who's looking forward to spring?

Posted

Well the weather here for the past two weeks has been very dull and grey, damp and on the chilly side but not cold enough for anything to happen. Reading between the lines on the model dicussions seems plenty is brewing but not alot happening, I'm not holding out much hope. I've had enough of this hence the reason I'm looking forward to spring maybe seeing some early storms leading into a decent summer this year.

whats other peoples thoughts regarding spring/summer?

Posted

I'm looking forward to it yes as late Spring is my favourite time of the year for many reasons. Looks very likley to be wintry for the next 2 to 3 weeks which I can take, but a cold March is the pits as you are more likley to be out and about in it with Gardening and longer day light and just more activity. I always find the cold northerly/Easterly winds in Spring more difficult to take.

A heavily blocked winter like this, does this signal any particular Spring early Summer weather we might expect?

What I would like would be mainly cold but dry sunny weather for say the next 3 weeks with some nice DRY snow with steadily rising temperatures after this maintaining the dry sunny weather into spring, thence into summer rising to daily max of about 30C, with occasional convectional rain for the benefit of the gardens and the crops.

Is it so much to ask for?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I always look forward to Spring in a sense at this time of year, because of the lengthening daylight and increasing sunshine hours. However, I also think it's important to be realistic. We aren't in February yet, therefore daylight will be limited next month regardless of what the weather does, and most sources of warm weather in February are cloudy and drizzly and not particularly springlike if it's warm sunshine you're after- like the second half of February 2009. Mild sunny anticyclonic weather like 8-20 February 2008, meanwhile, leads to frosty nights (though I have to say that it's one of the patterns that I would particularly welcome, possibly second only to bright & snowy).

In other senses I'm dreading Spring on Net-weather this year because the fact that we've had a genuinely cold and snowy winter might mean an even more pronounced "flick of the switch" than usual- that is, extreme intolerance of anyone who welcomes sunshine and snow showers once the 1st March arrives because they're "clinging onto winter" when they should be "moving on", implying that they should make themselves miserable whenever we get sunshine and snow showers.

A blocked winter says very little about the forthcoming spring. The winter of 1981/82 was followed by a warm sunny spring- indeed one of the sunniest of the last century- with just occasional northerly outbreaks. But the winter of 1978/79 was followed by a cold wintry spring with widespread snowfalls in March, early April and again in early May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If Spring means more of this polluted easterly rubbish then it can keep it quite frankly, however when the northwesterlies come rolling in during Spring I love the fresh air and added warmth, as it gives a certain atmosphere (and doesnt badly affect those the asthma and the like). Still I dont mind a cold northerly given it's pure air.

I would by preference though prefer a Spring alternating between mild and cold, showery, and no easterlies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I would by preference though prefer a Spring alternating between mild and cold, showery, and no easterlies!

Definitely the same here (and I agree with your "no easterlies" bit as well, with the exception of easterlies with a "northerly" source which bring a similar type of weather to northerlies esp. early in the season- otherwise they tend to be dull and damp for most).

But I sense we are in a minority on this forum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I always look forward to Spring. Because, whatever the previous winter was like, the lengthening daylight makes be feel better...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I love spring, and whilst I often look for warmth I also look for late winter cold snaps, I love them both! Generally I want warmth from late March onwards, but before mid April I also look for cold, showery northerlies. There's something special about a weekend which includes some pleasant spring sunshine AND wintry showers :drinks:

I want spring to be changeable as that's what its meant to be imo.

Edited by alza

Posted

I love cold and snow, and I love heat and sun, not so keen on the dreary stuff in the middle, so I am looking forward to Spring, after February has done its worst. I'm already noticing the longer days, light by 7:30am now, so bring on the snow melt in March and warming days towards the switch to British Summer Time, then lets have have the warmth on our backs to get on with the spring planting... and another long hot summer.

Me an idealist well maybe, but after a really snowy winter that most, though not all, of us have experienced so far and hopefully still a bit more to come, it would be great to have a long hot summer too, I know its being greedy or just plain dreaming, but there is no harm in dreaming...

Cheers

FC

Posted

I love cold and snow, and I love heat and sun, not so keen on the dreary stuff in the middle, so I am looking forward to Spring, after February has done its worst. I'm already noticing the longer days, light by 7:30am now, so bring on the snow melt in March and warming days towards the switch to British Summer Time, then lets have have the warmth on our backs to get on with the spring planting... and another long hot summer.

Me an idealist well maybe, but after a really snowy winter that most, though not all, of us have experienced so far and hopefully still a bit more to come, it would be great to have a long hot summer too, I know its being greedy or just plain dreaming, but there is no harm in dreaming...

Cheers

FC

On the BST. Why is it we change on the last weekend in October, about 7 weeks give or take a day or two before 21st December and then don't change back 7 or 8 weeks later. I can't understand why we have to wait until the end of March. It wastes electricity in the evenings. The Americans now change early March isstead of late March. A chang to early March would also have the benefit of making it "feel" more spring like as the evenings would be longer. I live in Ireland so we have to do wht the UK does for business reasons I assume. Please petition your MP. :drinks::drinks:

Posted

We had the man in to read the meters the other day some am dreading getting the bills (elec and gas).However I thoroughly enjoyed the last snowy spell with 30 days of laying snow. I am hoping for a bitter snowy February and then a warm pleasent March and April and a warm settled summer-who knows this may just be the year.

Posted

Would love a spring like 2003, that was really lovely and warm quite early on. Been pottering in the

garden today and just want to tidy everything up. The daffs are starting to poke up now :drinks:

Posted

I don't mind Spring, but I hate the Summer as excessive heat is not good for me, personally, from a health point of view.

If we could skip Summer and just have Spring, Autumn and Winter, then I'd be happy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Now that i have been living in Edmonton Canada for the last 3 weeks..i havnt seen any green since before xmas as the thaw hadnt set in when i left the UK.

I dont think about the prospects for cold and snow any more..because that is guaranteed as someone said there are no marginal events here..you know its going to be snow that falls from the sky.

So i am looking forward to spring here although i tends to start a good 4-6 weeks later than the UK.

Posted

Now that i have been living in Edmonton Canada for the last 3 weeks..i havnt seen any green since before xmas as the thaw hadnt set in when i left the UK.

I dont think about the prospects for cold and snow any more..because that is guaranteed as someone said there are no marginal events here..you know its going to be snow that falls from the sky.

So i am looking forward to spring here although i tends to start a good 4-6 weeks later than the UK.

Thundery wintry showers - Hi TWS I dont know if you remember but back in the northern england thread a few weeks back, you stated and predicted that we would end up in no-mans land for the fore-seeable future and thats how its ended up here, please next time you predict something please predict some interesting weather lol :drinks:

I'm pretty much go along the lines other users have gone, cold crispy frosty night's followed by sunny days with scattered snow showers, throughout febuary, getting warmer in march, leading up to a nice spring/summer. I wouldnt even mind a mild febuary/March either to be honest, just please get rid of this depressing rubbish weather we have at the minute.

Posted

I don`t think spring will be very friendly this time I really don`t,it could easily be a cold wet/snowy one like we use to get in the 80`s.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

As much as like the snow , i'm ready for spring now , as someone has already commented the longer days, sunshine and warmth is fantastic , i just hope we get a long hot/dry (ish) spring and summer

Edited by Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Oh god yes I am most definitely looking forward to spring! Primarily for the longer daylight hours. Pig sick of it getting dark before I leave work - gives me headaches and makes for some very unsafe feeling journeys home.

Some warmth too would be most welcomed - in the form of strong sunshine but clean fresh air. Usually I like to see a mixture of northerlies and southerlies in spring to give a good mix of cold air/warm sun/convective showers (towering clouds included! One min its sunny, next it's bucketing it down) coupled with much warmer periods giving a taste of the coming summer...

What I don't want in spring is dull easterlies that just feel cold (from cold sea) and bring little but low cloud. Don't mind some Atlantic storms although I prefer those earlier in the season rather than later.

For me, life improves immensely once those clocks move. BST is the time to live, GMT the time to hibernate!

On the BST. Why is it we change on the last weekend in October, about 7 weeks give or take a day or two before 21st December and then don't change back 7 or 8 weeks later. I can't understand why we have to wait until the end of March. It wastes electricity in the evenings. The Americans now change early March isstead of late March. A chang to early March would also have the benefit of making it "feel" more spring like as the evenings would be longer. I live in Ireland so we have to do wht the UK does for business reasons I assume. Please petition your MP. :):)

Totally agree! By mid March sunrise is around 6am yet sunset is still around 6pm which from an energy efficiency point of view isn't sensible (since more people are awake doing things at 6pm vs 6am). I only feel 'spring like' once sunset hits around 7pm suddenly giving a sense of getting home from work and it not yet dark...

Posted

I've actually noticed the days start to lengthen a bit and started to feel so much happier! I remember last year when it got nice, warm and sunny in March and felt like it was the light at the end of the tunnel, like waking up from a long sleep. I've never really noticed winter have that effect on me (and yes, I do like cold and snow), but the lack of sunlight in Nottingham really does my nut.

Still, can I just hibernate through February? I want to wake up with days that are at least 11 hours in length... unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Spring is the beginning of summer for me, my most hated season of the year. Although I do like the showers and quite substantial diurnal ranges.

Already noticed the days getting longer :)

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Oh god yes I am most definitely looking forward to spring! Primarily for the longer daylight hours. Pig sick of it getting dark before I leave work - gives me headaches and makes for some very unsafe feeling journeys home.

Some warmth too would be most welcomed - in the form of strong sunshine but clean fresh air. Usually I like to see a mixture of northerlies and southerlies in spring to give a good mix of cold air/warm sun/convective showers (towering clouds included! One min its sunny, next it's bucketing it down) coupled with much warmer periods giving a taste of the coming summer...

What I don't want in spring is dull easterlies that just feel cold (from cold sea) and bring little but low cloud. Don't mind some Atlantic storms although I prefer those earlier in the season rather than later.

For me, life improves immensely once those clocks move. BST is the time to live, GMT the time to hibernate!

Totally agree! By mid March sunrise is around 6am yet sunset is still around 6pm which from an energy efficiency point of view isn't sensible (since more people are awake doing things at 6pm vs 6am). I only feel 'spring like' once sunset hits around 7pm suddenly giving a sense of getting home from work and it not yet dark...

Thinking of Benefits of switching back on first weekend in March; (I can't think of a downside at all other than for bulb manufactures)

Reduced Energy Comsumption means less carbon emissions, means less carbon taxing and possibly means less global warming. Up to 4 weeks at one hour a day, which is a max of 40 hours. Would also suggest less heating needed (solar gain in the windows in the evening)

Better mental Health

Stimulate the economy as people more likley to be out and about

Increase health as more likley to excercise in March, e.g. walk home etc. Also more vitamin D

Safer for kids and vulnerable people from a security point of view walking home in the light over dusk/dark

And much better for mental health getting sunlight