Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's Looking Forward To Spring

dave79

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who's looking forward to spring?

Posted

To me spring is more to do with the temperatures, not really to do with the weather, when temperatures reach 13.c+ on a regular basis then I feel spring is here. I can't really see spring arriving on time this year, I would expect the wintry theme to continue and not really letting up. Personally I don't see March as a true spring month even though it can vary April to me is a Spring month, same applies to September I don't really see it as Autumn. Anyway as we move into March temperatures will recover slightly because March is warmer than Jan, but I think we will see winter conditions (snow and harsh night time firsts) for a long while yet, with the first real sign of spring for all of the UK not been till April.

Edited by 10123

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

In the absence of any further snow shower cold spells (which can happen right into April and may well happen with a little luck) then yes, the thought of some pleasant dry Spring weather and sunshine is very comforting and appealing. Most especially instead of strong winds and heavy rain which is the most unappealing type of weather imo at any time of year.

November was a real endurance test with a leaking upstairs window and roof, plus gales, hail and thunder preventing sleep and I don't want this very unsettled spell to become one either!!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I will be more than happy when Spring arrives for once. December and January were great months for cold and snow lovers locally but February here in mid /west Kent and I guess Surrey, much of London, south Essex etc has been miserable. We've managed to miss the snow to the NW of London and in the Midlands/East Anglia and the heavy snowfall in E Kent/E Sussex a couple of weeks ago or so. Instead we've had chilly temps, cloud and a lot of cold rain/sleet which as Tamara says is a horrible combination. The current track depressions are taking where they move NE from relatively low latitudes in the Atlantic and end up in the southern North Sea is never good news for this area. Fortunately the current synoptics are relatively uncommon.

I'd like to think March will be Spring like but I am wondering if this is going to be a rare cold year with a chilly Spring and cool Summer say like 1985.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This February will surely go down as one of the worst months i can ever remember. Theres been absolutely no let up in the doom and gloom that has persisted since mid January and temperatures have been constantly stuck at 4s and 5s throughout the whole month. It was great to record 7c today as it was a welcome change from the constant cold drearyness that we've had to endure. It hasnt even been a particularly dry month either which you would expect with cold winter months as opposed to mild ones so i'm struggling to find any positive for the entire month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes agreed - it's been unending greyness, drizzle and boring temperatures (2-4c generally). There has been the odd nice day but nothing like the sparkling first week of January.

At least it is getting lighter now - I can head home from work and actually see people's faces again with street lights only just coming on. Gladly the dark afternoons are finally behind us for this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I think we've seen the last of the cold weather now , yes it is still severe in Scotland but certainly in my neck of the woods i don't expect much in the way of wintry weather until next winter now.....:p

Posted

I think we've seen the last of the cold weather now , yes it is still severe in Scotland but certainly in my neck of the woods i don't expect much in the way of wintry weather until next winter now.....:help:

I wouldnt be so sure just yet as winter may still have a sting in its tail towards the end of next week, but as for being severe, i think not. Totally agree about the lighter nights though. Theres a full 2hrs more daylight in the evening than there was 2 months ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

For me living in the SE I'd have to say yes. We seem to be stuck in a weatherpattern at the moment where endless depressions are approaching from the SW, giving us heavy rain while places in the north get heavy snow. I'm pleased for them, but from a completely imby point of view I'd love some warm spring weather. Seeing as it's still feb any warm weather is a long way off. We are at that time of year from now till mid April where it will neither be cold enough (in the south at least) for any lying snow to last for any length of time, and neither will it be warm enough for any nice spring weather. The worst months for weather in the UK for people like me who like snow in winter and hot weather in summer (I really should live in a more continental climate), are march, april, october and november. All uninspiring months weather wise.

I rambled on a bit there. But the answer is yes. Roll on spring. It's been a very memorable winter for the UK, but at the back end of winter and early spring any snow for the south is pointless as it won't last long at all, so bring on some warmer, sunnier weather.

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's rare for snow to stick around for long in the south in March, but Norfolk had snow stick around for a few days in early March 2001, and of course there was that March 1970 outbreak when snow stuck around widely for over a week in sunshine, presumably the large depths helped.

On the face of it, continental climates might sound like a good answer to the desire for relatively cold snowy winters followed by a quick transition to a warm sunny spring. There are certainly parts of the world where average maxima are around 6-7C in February but rise into the low teens by mid to late March. However, those same areas are also prone to large temperature swings, so although the average in March might be 14C, it could be 25C and sunshine one week and 3C with snowfalls the next. I think there will always be a "catch" somewhere for those hoping for that combination regardless of what area of the world we're talking.

I agree regarding the rather "driech" weather that much of southern England has been having for a while, and would certainly like to see this cold dull damp cyclonic pattern shift.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Models now seem confident for more Spring like weather next week with pressure building oer the UK and plenty of sunshine, maxima probably in the 10C to 15C range and minima below 0C, so a large durinal range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The outlook does indeed look much drier and sunnier but I'm not sure where the 10-15C maxima come from- temps look like falling below the long-term average again with the possibility of the odd snow event towards the E & SE.

maxima probably in the 10C to 15C range

LOL when i saw this i instantly thought this must be an old post because todays models don't show anything of the kind then i saw the time and date ohmy.gif

Next week is looking below average and possibily wintry in parts with lots of sunshine not guaranteed at all especially for southern, eastern and central areas.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Models now seem confident for more Spring like weather next week with pressure building oer the UK and plenty of sunshine, maxima probably in the 10C to 15C range and minima below 0C, so a large durinal range.

Oh I wish you were right. It may probably scrape 10c in western areas but single figures looks likely for most parts. Given light winds it shouldnt feel too bad providing we dont get a raw easterly bringing yet more cloudy muck off the north sea.

Posted

Depends on the type of easterly- a relatively mild easterly (in the sense of the upper air not being especially cold) would bring dull raw weather, but a cold easterly originating from high latitudes would most likely bring sunshine and wintry showers. The majority of the model outputs currently support the latter scenario- which of course would still be unwanted by some, but it wouldn't be particularly cloudy either.

Posted

It's Spring now people, anyone still looking for snow is just futilely clinging on to Winter, any easterlies that come are going to be grey, drab and boring and won't produce any snow. I think we should all be looking for high pressure to set up residence to bring in some well needed sunshine and warmth.

unsure.gif

diablo.gif

Anything you'd like to add, TWS? pardon.giflaugh.gif

Posted

The long-term average CET for the UK should be as follows:

Jan 0.7, Feb 1.2, Mar 12.1, Apr 15.0, May 17.4, Jun 18.5, Jul 19.2, Aug 18.8, Sep 14.7, Oct 8.8, Nov 4.5, Dec 1.4.

That enough? :):whistling:

Posted

No daffodils out in s wales first time not out for saint davids day since 19 82 when i see the daffodils then i know spring is here, followed by my the cherry blossom .then its spring cant wait!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Another Spring like day. Sunshine felt warm, and I played tennis in shorts and a T-Shirt comfortably. I think I can safely say that there will be no more snow here untill next winter. I think that talk of widespread snowfall in May is a bit ludicrous.. yes the highlands, parts of Scotland and maybe even northern England can recieve snowfall in May, but getting snow in May here would be like getting 20C in January

Posted

Another Spring like day. Sunshine felt warm, and I played tennis in shorts and a T-Shirt comfortably. I think I can safely say that there will be no more snow here untill next winter. I think that talk of widespread snowfall in May is a bit ludicrous.. yes the highlands, parts of Scotland and maybe even northern England can recieve snowfall in May, but getting snow in May here would be like getting 20C in January

Some of us get criticised for "clinging onto winter" for maintaining an interest in snow but the real delusions lie in latching onto an idealised concept of what a normal British spring is like as opposed to a realistic one. It's no accident that normal spring months like May 2005 get labelled as "unusually cold" on here. There's a well over 50-50 chance of seeing snowfall in the London area over the coming couple of months- e.g. 7 days of falling sleet/snow at Heathrow in March 2001. Whether it's wanted or not, it can't change the fact that it happens.

There is nothing at all ludicrous about talk of widespread snow in May- good examples occurred in 1891, 1935, 1951, 1955, 1979, 1982, 1987, 1993, 1995 and 1997, and there will be some in other years that I can't remember. It snowed widely in the London area in the 1891, 1935, 1955 and 1997 instances, and in 1975 we even had widespread snowfall on the 2nd June.

Posted

Some of us get criticised for "clinging onto winter" for maintaining an interest in snow but the real delusions lie in latching onto an idealised concept of what a normal British spring is like as opposed to a realistic one. It's no accident that normal spring months like May 2005 get labelled as "unusually cold" on here. There's a well over 50-50 chance of seeing snowfall in the London area over the coming couple of months- e.g. 7 days of falling sleet/snow at Heathrow in March 2001. Whether it's wanted or not, it can't change the fact that it happens.

There is nothing at all ludicrous about talk of widespread snow in May- good examples occurred in 1891, 1935, 1951, 1955, 1979, 1982, 1987, 1993, 1995 and 1997, and there will be some in other years that I can't remember. It snowed widely in the London area in the 1891, 1935, 1955 and 1997 instances, and in 1975 we even had widespread snowfall on the 2nd June.

I bet we have a spell of hail sleet and snow 15c 5c gales kitchen sink and all, march is a great mad weather month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I agree with you, and I know that some get shot down for wanting snow when others want warmth.. like when I look for warmth in October, I get told to 'move on and look for cold.' I have my own preference of weather, but it doesn't stop me from appreciating other people's preferences.

I remember May 2005 well, I think that was the year when almost 32C was reached? and then there were also some very cold days. I guess that what i'm trying to say is that people shouldn't be hoping for widespread snowfall in May where average temperatures are around 14C up north to 17C down south, because it is quite rare and would take special circumstances. A northerly in May would normally bring us temperatures in the low teens, especially if the sun is out, maybe higher.

Posted

So its been the first day of Spring and it really did feel like it too. Temperature wise it wasn't really springlike but in the stronger sun in did feel quite warm. The good thing is that we havent seen the last of it either. It looks like the first half of the month could well be dominated by high pressure bringing a lot of dry/sunny weather. I know it wont suit those looking for 'interesing' weather but all the cold and snow has got in the way too much over the winter so it will be great for the weather to take a back seat for once and allow a return to doing outdoor persuits that havent been possible during the winter.

Posted

I agree with you, and I know that some get shot down for wanting snow when others want warmth.. like when I look for warmth in October, I get told to 'move on and look for cold.' I have my own preference of weather, but it doesn't stop me from appreciating other people's preferences.

I remember May 2005 well, I think that was the year when almost 32C was reached? and then there were also some very cold days. I guess that what i'm trying to say is that people shouldn't be hoping for widespread snowfall in May where average temperatures are around 14C up north to 17C down south, because it is quite rare and would take special circumstances. A northerly in May would normally bring us temperatures in the low teens, especially if the sun is out, maybe higher.

May 2005 had a rather "interesting" day on the 27th (I think) when it almost reached 32C in London, yet at the same time, parts of eastern Scotland were struggling to exceed 10C! Quite a contrast, and brought about by a plume of warm air in the SE.

I think it's fair to say that people shouldn't expect widespread snowfall in May, since even in the old days it was probably roughly a 1 in 4-5 year event on average (the point re. averages of 14-17C is certainly correct), but on the other hand, nowt wrong with people hoping for something a bit out of the ordinary, and we are certainly overdue one.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Indeed, people should be allowed to like all kinds of weather.

As for May 2005, it may have been average in that it had a decent cool spell, but the hot spell was phenominal, a one day southerly toppler almost took the May record, it reached 32.4C on May 28th, the record is 32.8C, though there was plenty of heat to the south, the second half of June 2005 was the hottest since 1976.