Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

This week for us in the NE England is very borderline for instance on tuesday we may get rain or snow and same for thursday basically nobody knows whistling.gif

Ps: If you read Mo thread there is some bias going on to southern uk but for us some top posters eg : Frosty etc are mentioning us with a risk of snowfall.

Posted

Hi guys - my first post so go easy! :lol:

I'm from Southampton, but am studying at Durham Uni (having started my course this October). Unfortunately for me, as a big fan of cold and snow, I was back 'down South' for pretty much the entirety of the mid-Dec -> mid-Jan cold, snowy spell! I only saw the very beginnings of it overnight on the 16th Dec (more came overnight on the 17th I think? But I was gone by then!)

But anyway, I am back in Durham now and so experienced the snow on Friday night - all 1-2cm of it! However, through the discussions on here and elsewhere (not to mention the radars of course!), I could tell that places nearer the coast were getting a "right good pasting" in terms of snow. When I heard that places like North/South Shields and the like had seen 10cm+ of snow, I knew I had to go and see that for myself! :D (Remember, I'm from Southampton, and have only once in my lifetime seen 10cm of lying snow - that was last February!)

So basically I took the train up to Newcastle, then the Metro east towards "The Coast", eventually getting off the train in Tynemouth. It was very noticeable, even in the space of a few miles, that the depth of snow was increasing all the time as I headed East. Upon arrival in Tynemouth, I saw there was more snow than I have seen in my entire life! :) It was generally 13-15cm of level snow (!), but with drifts near the Priory well in excess of 1ft - and all of this on Friday night!! :)

I took lots of pictures, too! (I also took a few of Durham as I made my way towards the train station) :D Apologies that there are rather a lot of them, but I did capture a lot of different scenes - I hope you like them! :)

First of all, my Durham pictures

pchji.jpg

pcjOr.jpg

pcmiA.jpg

pcoNJ.jpg

pctN0.jpg

pcwh9.jpg

pcyMi.jpg

pcBgr.jpg

pcDLA.jpg

pcIKS.jpg

pcLf0.jpg

pcQei.jpg

pcSJr.jpg

pcXIJ.jpg

Now, onto the big one - Tynemouth! I have visited Tynemouth once before, but it was a rather different day to yesterday - sometime a few Summers ago :)

Lc0PA.jpg

Lc3jJ.jpg

Lc5OS.jpg

LcaO9.jpg

Lcdii.jpg

LcfNr.jpg

LcihA.jpg

LckMJ.jpg

LcngS.jpg

LcpM0.jpg

Lcsg9.jpg

LcuLi.jpg

LczKA.jpg

LcCeJ.jpg

LcEJS.jpg

LcHe0.jpg

LcJJ9.jpg

LcOIr.jpg

LcRcA.jpg

Looking across Tynemouth beach towards Whitley Bay

LcTHJ.jpg

LcWbS.jpg

These are my size 12 shoes disappearing in the snow :)

LcYH0.jpg

A massive snow drift, with a scene more appropriate to the Arctic than to North Tyneside :)

Ld0b9.jpg

Ld2Gi.jpg

b1Xh9.jpg

b1ZMi.jpg

b21gr.jpg

b26fJ.jpg

b28KS.jpg

b2dK9.jpg

Also a couple of quick videos for you, too - both concerning snow depth :):lol:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4-46HEP4r6s

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1Xqy-lYFz1c

They're only short, but just to give you an idea of the scale, really :D:lol:

So yeah, I think that's all of them! Hope you liked them - I just noticed that a few of you were talking about how much you envied people right on the coast - you should have done what I did! :):lol: £5.75 well spent, that train ticket to Tynemouth :)

Cheers :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I didn't bother to head to the coast as there is 7cm here, but those pictures do look quite deep, similar to what I had on New Years Day. The last cold spell was exceptional though to have drifts of 3ft around the local park, I'd never seen that before around this area. Level snow was 8-12 inches across Tyneside! The snow this time has the same dry quality to it that it had last time imo, great for sledging!

Btw Snowhawk you may be surprised at the frequency of 4 inch snow cover around the NE, more winters have a 4 inch cover at some point than those which don't! 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009 and 1010 this decade. Tyneside does particularly well for a low level area, but Durham does similarly well unless its a NNW wind.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My parents have brought a sledge over to Norwich for me this weekend at my request (I got jealous of the masses sledging over the hills at UEA), and looking at the latest model outputs there's a chance that this may have put the "kabosh" on the rest of winter... d'oh!

I remember the February 1999 setup well, it was quite synoptically similar to the current northerly outbreak though the snowfalls that arose were not as extreme as Friday night's. I had about 5cm in Cleadon on the morning of the 9th, but I imagine areas that some of the coastal fringes of the region may have had rather more. In contrast Durham had nowt!

At Cleadon I've only noted 4 inch snowfalls in 1994, 2003, 2004 and most especially 2010, but 3 inch snowfalls have occurred there in most seasons. Last winter was quite marginal and so accumulations near the coast rarely exceeded 1-2 inches despite much bigger snowfalls at times for inland parts.

Posted

Alza and TWS = What do you think of the snow showers get going around midnight gfs shows precipatation just covering us.

Also what do you guys think for the weather in the ne in the upcoming working week. To me looks like rain/sleet/snow and snow to low levels as well especially were live in the Ne instead of further southern areas

Posted

If the GFS is correct there could be a 'Feb 2007 style' snow event for England and Wales, but obviously if was further north we could get some of the fun and games too. There is also a low risk of a similar setup next weekend to March 2006 (heard that mentioned in the Model Output thread) and that is very interesting to me as I'm supposed to be going to the Lakes on Friday and that was an exceptional snowfall for Cumbria, the people at the caravan site I have a caravan at said there was 8 inches, and I think that sounds reasonably accurate but might not be exact. The M6 was shut for a while so it must've been bad.

Tbh I think a weaker northerly than this one will occur midweek, but it might not give us any / much snow as it will probably be brief and the coldest air might not get far enough south. Towards the end of the week anything could happen, so it is all to play for, but also all to lose.

Posted

If the GFS is correct there could be a 'Feb 2007 style' snow event for England and Wales, but obviously if was further north we could get some of the fun and games too. There is also a low risk of a similar setup next weekend to March 2006 (heard that mentioned in the Model Output thread) and that is very interesting to me as I'm supposed to be going to the Lakes on Friday and that was an exceptional snowfall for Cumbria, the people at the caravan site I have a caravan at said there was 8 inches, and I think that sounds reasonably accurate but might not be exact. The M6 was shut for a while so it must've been bad.

Tbh I think a weaker northerly than this one will occur midweek, but it might not give us any / much snow as it will probably be brief and the coldest air might not get far enough south. Towards the end of the week anything could happen, so it is all to play for, but also all to lose.

What about the snow chances tonight?

Posted

Is it me or are them snow showers coming closer towards us?

Posted

Thanks for posting those pictures and videos snow hawk.:)

Amazing scenes from right on the coast with those drifts!

Regarding tonight,the snow showers look like staying just offshore.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

I've got the Netweather radar now, and it seems great! I think those showers are getting VERY slowly nearer, but will stay offshore as there isn't a trough to bring them inland like there was on Friday night.

Posted

I've got the Netweather radar now, and it seems great! I think those showers are getting VERY slowly nearer, but will stay offshore as there isn't a trough to bring them inland like there was on Friday night.

Worth keeping on eye still though lets see were we are later around 8pm smile.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Worth keeping on eye still though lets see were we are later around 8pm smile.gif

Suppose, but I'm not going to bother myself - I've got a good snow cover already and the most they'd give would probably be 1cm or less. :)

Posted

Suppose, but I'm not going to bother myself - I've got a good snow cover already and the most they'd give would probably be 1cm or less. smile.gif

They are hitting parts of the coast now i think can they come inland? mellow.gif

Posted

They are hitting parts of the coast now i think can they come inland? mellow.gif

They're not quite affecting the coast yet, admittedly though places with about 2-3 miles of the coast could get a light flurry.

Posted

They're not quite affecting the coast yet, admittedly though places with about 2-3 miles of the coast could get a light flurry.

im 8miles so unlikely for me but there is a chance lets were we are at 9 see if they make any further progress.

Posted

im 8miles so unlikely for me but there is a chance lets were we are at 9 see if they make any further progress.

I think that places right by the coast (0-3 miles) have a low risk of a flurry, but even here there won't be any proper snow showers as they are forming off the coast (obviously over the 'warm' North Sea) then moving further away. 8 miles is too far inland, have you got any snow cover left? If so enjoy a nice cold night. :drinks:

Posted

I think that places right by the coast (0-3 miles) have a low risk of a flurry, but even here there won't be any proper snow showers as they are forming off the coast (obviously over the 'warm' North Sea) then moving further away. 8 miles is too far inland, have you got any snow cover left? If so enjoy a nice cold night. smile.gif

Around 75% of snowcover left but there are many areas without snowcover now. So i was hoping a little bit for tonight ohwell what about those rain/snow events coming up what will happen ?

Posted

My parents have brought a sledge over to Norwich for me this weekend at my request (I got jealous of the masses sledging over the hills at UEA), and looking at the latest model outputs there's a chance that this may have put the "kabosh" on the rest of winter... d'oh!

I remember the February 1999 setup well, it was quite synoptically similar to the current northerly outbreak though the snowfalls that arose were not as extreme as Friday night's. I had about 5cm in Cleadon on the morning of the 9th, but I imagine areas that some of the coastal fringes of the region may have had rather more. In contrast Durham had nowt!

At Cleadon I've only noted 4 inch snowfalls in 1994, 2003, 2004 and most especially 2010, but 3 inch snowfalls have occurred there in most seasons. Last winter was quite marginal and so accumulations near the coast rarely exceeded 1-2 inches despite much bigger snowfalls at times for inland parts.

I took the train from Middlesborough to Newcastle on the 9th Feb 99, the snow was fairly deep by the coast but perhaps not quite 4 inches..

The biggest fall of snow I have experienced during the winters of 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 01/02, 02/03, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, and 07/08 was the late feb 04 event. Sunderland I think caught just a bit more than what happened Friday during said event, again courtesy of a northerly. Note I have omitted 00/01 from the list as I was away from the region during that period, just my luck as there was some very heavy snow in late Feb that year probably beating the feb 04 event.

My time in the NE coincided with some very mild and snow barren winters indeed, I was in the lakes during the coldest period we have experienced since winter 90/91 i.e. Dec 96 and early Jan 97, then I was away during the fairly wintry winter of 00/01 and then left the area in Nov 08..so you could say I've never really experienced what real winter can deliver in the NE, the only periods I would say were wintry when I was there were second week of Feb 99, bits of Dec 01, early Jan 03, late feb 04, late feb 05 and bits of 05/06 most notably late feb 06 and early March 06.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Around 75% of snowcover left but there are many areas without snowcover now. So i was hoping a little bit for tonight ohwell what about those rain/snow events coming up what will happen ?

90% left here, 7cm on the grass still, more like 4-5cm on pavements. Still lovely and dry, and still feels fresh.

I think on Monday night there will be some sleet preceding the rain, but any snow will be on high ground, then as it clears away later on Tuesday there could be a little more sleet / wet snow but it won't lie. Then towards the Thursday there could be some snow, but it will turn back to rain eventually and the heaviest stuff won't make it up here. Even that snow will be marginal so enjoy the snow now.

Posted

90% left here, 7cm on the grass still, more like 4-5cm on pavements. Still lovely and dry, and still feels fresh.

I think on Monday night there will be some sleet preceding the rain, but any snow will be on high ground, then as it clears away later on Tuesday there could be a little more sleet / wet snow but it won't lie. Then towards the Thursday there could be some snow, but it will turn back to rain eventually and the heaviest stuff won't make it up here. Even that snow will be marginal so enjoy the snow now.

I will :unknw: and wen I go to school tommorrow if any1 asks me is it going to snow ill just say its looks like on monday night rain and sleet and clearing away on tuesday morning although it may briefly fall as just snow as it clears. Then wednesday dry and wednesday night and thursday morning could be snowy but may turn back to rain. Then i dont have a clue for Friday.

No accumalations Monday night/Tuesday although there maybe a surprise.

Wed Night/Thursday 3-8cm but if it rains on back edge it could turn to a slushy covering.

Confidence 45% ?

Posted

I will :unknw: and wen I go to school tommorrow if any1 asks me is it going to snow ill just say its looks like on monday night rain and sleet and clearing away on tuesday morning although it may briefly fall as just snow as it clears. Then wednesday dry and wednesday night and thursday morning could be snowy but may turn back to rain. Then i dont have a clue for Friday.

No accumalations Monday night/Tuesday although there maybe a surprise.

Wed Night/Thursday 3-8cm but if it rains on back edge it could turn to a slushy covering.

Confidence 45% ?

Don't tell them 3-8cm on Thursday yet as it might not happen, perhaps in a day or two we'll know properly. You could say it might snow, but even if it does I'm sceptical about it settling - it rarely accumulates more than 1-2cm in these marginal setups. Like I said though Thursday is all to play for at the moment, if it does snow we probably won't know until Thursday itself, if it rains we might know in advance but even then no earlier than Tuesday.

Confidence for Tuesday: 75%

Confidence for Thursday: 25%

Edited by alza

Posted

Don't tell them 3-8cm on Thursday yet as it might not happen, perhaps in a day or two we'll know properly. You could say it might snow, but even if it does I'm sceptical about it settling - it rarely accumulates more than 1-2cm in these marginal setups. Like I said though Thursday is all to play for at the moment, if it does snow we probably won't know until Thursday itself, if it rains we might know in advance but even then no earlier than Tuesday.

Okay mate :)

Posted

By the way those heavy showers are pretty close to the coast now, quite frustrating as they will never make landfall :)

Posted

By the way those heavy showers are pretty close to the coast now, quite frustrating as they will never make landfall sad.gif

Well they are MUCH closer than i was expecting so you never know give it to 10 and give us an update mate :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I took the train from Middlesborough to Newcastle on the 9th Feb 99, the snow was fairly deep by the coast but perhaps not quite 4 inches..

The biggest fall of snow I have experienced during the winters of 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 01/02, 02/03, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, and 07/08 was the late feb 04 event. Sunderland I think caught just a bit more than what happened Friday during said event, again courtesy of a northerly. Note I have omitted 00/01 from the list as I was away from the region during that period, just my luck as there was some very heavy snow in late Feb that year probably beating the feb 04 event.

My time in the NE coincided with some very mild and snow barren winters indeed, I was in the lakes during the coldest period we have experienced since winter 90/91 i.e. Dec 96 and early Jan 97, then I was away during the fairly wintry winter of 00/01 and then left the area in Nov 08..so you could say I've never really experienced what real winter can deliver in the NE, the only periods I would say were wintry when I was there were second week of Feb 99, bits of Dec 01, early Jan 03, late feb 04, late feb 05 and bits of 05/06 most notably late feb 06 and early March 06.

I got a report of approx. 12cm level snow from my parents on 28 February 2004- between 4 & 5 inches- which was the highest at Cleadon since February 1991 and not exceeded until the 8th January 2010.

During the winter of 2000/01 the biggest accumulations at Cleadon were 7cm on the 29th December 2000 (just 1-2cm on the 26th, then big snow showers and one loud crack of thunder overnight 28th/29th), and 8cm on the 2nd March 2001 following heavy localised snowstorms that day. Further inland, bigger snow events occurred on 3/4 February and again on 27/28 February, from frontal snow events that failed to produce accumulations within about 5 miles of the coast but gave a large dumping upwards of about 10 miles inland.

I don't know how much snow inland parts got in Dec 96 and Jan 97 but Cleadon got just an inch from the frontal event of the 26th/27th which soon melted, and then a couple of inches from the easterly on 30/31 December, which slowly thawed during the first five days of January. January was mostly dull and very dry with only very light snowfalls.

One unusual quirk of recent winters is that the coast has, on average, had about as much snow as inland areas- the frequency of lying snow over 1997-2008 had declined to about 6 days per year at Durham, the same as at Cleadon.