Mean Min; -0.3c (-2.7c)

Mean; +1.5c (-3.0c)

Rainfall; 40.6 MM (DRY)

Highest temperature 8.4c 17th

Lowest temperature -7.2c

Highest Minimum temperature 6.2c 23rd

Lowest Maximum temperature -0.5c 7th and 8th

Highest snow depth 24cm 6th

Not a lot happened this month and fairly unremarkable month weather wise, dry with some sunshine, no gales and some bursts of rain. It was very cold but the only snow to speak of was early in the month when 24cm fell on the 6th, heaviest snow depth on record (with 14cm February 2009 being second) The very cold first 14 days offset the less cold 15th-29th before turning cold again. By a massive margin the coldest in my records going back to December 2003 (1.5c beating 2008 January at 3.1c)

Most of the rain fell between the 13th and 16th and again on the 22nd and 29th. Sunshine came and went but it often felt dull.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

I don't have any official figures, though looking at my notes of this month here is a summary

7 day sub-zero period recorded between the 3rd and 9th, nearly equalling the 8 day sub-zero period we saw between the 24th-31st Dec 1995.

Maximum temp 5 degrees

Minimum maximum -2 degrees on the 7th and 8th

Lowest minimum I think -10 degrees - nothing special

Highest snowfall depth - a mere 3 inches on the 5th, a very poor statistic compared to many other parts of the country, we have not been blessed by our location this month on this front..

So in summary - the first 10 days a very notable cold spell, thereafter fairly cold and at time average. A very dry month and a sunny month. On the snow stakes overall very poor in terms of depth but very good in terms of duration, a good 10 day spell with snow cover , we lost the december snow at New Year. December was much more noteworthy snow wise than January. I have to say though although colder than Dec 95, it didn't quite manage to rival it in terms of depth of cold, and in terms of amount of snow we've seen more on many an occasion in April as recently as 2008!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Mean Max; 3.4c (-3.3c)

Mean Min; -0.3c (-2.7c)

Mean; +1.5c (-3.0c)

Rainfall; 40.6 MM (DRY)

Highest temperature 8.4c 17th

Lowest temperature -7.2c

Highest Minimum temperature 6.2c 23rd

Lowest Maximum temperature -0.5c 7th and 8th

Highest snow depth 24cm 6th

Not a lot happened this month and fairly unremarkable month weather wise, dry with some sunshine, no gales and some bursts of rain. It was very cold but the only snow to speak of was early in the month when 24cm fell on the 6th, heaviest snow depth on record (with 14cm February 2009 being second) The very cold first 14 days offset the less cold 15th-29th before turning cold again. By a massive margin the coldest in my records going back to December 2003 (1.5c beating 2008 January at 3.1c)

Most of the rain fell between the 13th and 16th and again on the 22nd and 29th. Sunshine came and went but it often felt dull.

Really? 3c below average and 24cm is unremarkable? I take it you are being ironic?:nonono:

Posted

Meanwhile, this has been the mildest January in many years at this location, and no snowfall recorded anywhere near sea level or below 500 metres. I haven't seen the final figures but I think it has been 2.5 C above normal or possibly more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Meanwhile, this has been the mildest January in many years at this location, and no snowfall recorded anywhere near sea level or below 500 metres. I haven't seen the final figures but I think it has been 2.5 C above normal or possibly more.

Oh, the effects of an el nino winter (sort of!) on Northwestern USA. Are the winter olympics still good to go? Ironic that they pick the one ski area in the northern hemisphere with well below average snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

For Ballyporeen it was a very cold month at, 3.5C below average at 1.15C.

Average Maximum 4.5C (3.0C Below Average)

Average Minimum -2.2C (4.0C Below Average)

The 1st-10th was the coldest period, averaging just -3.45C, average max of 0.1C and min of -6.95C. This included a record low of -10.5C on the 9th, and a record lowest max of -2.9C on the 8th. All 10 days averaged below 0C and included 5 ice days. The lowest average daily temperature was -6.05C on the 9th.

The mildest period was the 15th-22nd, at 5.6C, average max 9.0C, average min 2.2C. A max of 9.8C was recorded on both 15th and 21st.

Posted

Mean Max; 3.4c (-2.8c)

Mean Min; -0.2c (-0.8c)

Mean; +1.6c (-1.8c)

Rainfall; 28 MM

Highest temperature 9.1c 27th

Lowest temperature -7.1c 8th

Highest Minimum temperature 3.4c 27th

Lowest Maximum temperature -0.4c 8th

Highest snow depth 24cm 9th

Snow days 9am; 16 days, including 15 consecutively, 1st-15th.

Posted

The main alpine ski-ing sites are fine, but some events closer to Vancouver at a lower elevation are getting snow brought in from higher slopes and some reconstruction of the courses. I think they will be okay for these events, but the weather has only affected this one site enough to cause concern.

Posted

January data for here

Mean=1.8C(3.5) the lowest for many years

Ave max=3.9(5.0)

Ave min=-0.3C(1.2)

I cannot recall without going through the Finningley stats another month with an aveage minimum below zero C.

Snow fell on 10 days, perhaps more as I was away the last 2 weeks

It lay on the ground from 4-14th consecutively and for a total of 16 days(the highest in January again for many years)

rainfall is unreliable so not quoted as much of it was snowmelt.

The wettest day, snowfall aside, was 22nd with 10.2mm.

Air frosts on 17 days with the first 10 consecutive and ground frost on 20 days.

A fairly unusual month by even larger teapot averages and probably the coldest winter month since back to 1981-82 in these parts.

Snowfall also fairly unusual with a fall of 16 cm on 6th being the heaviest since the 23cm in January 1987.

January 2010 in Stockholm:

Tmax: -6,4°c (-1,0°c 1961-1990)

Tavg: -9,1°c (-3,5°c 1961-1990)

Tmin: -11,7°c (-6,0°c 1961-1990)

Highest: -1°c the 17th mid day.

Lowest: -26°c the 6th in the morning.

Avg snow depth: 25 cm, 40 cm by the 28th.

Truly the coldest January since January 1987, the coldest one in modern time in Stockholm (-12,0°c average).

The month has been very moderated by anti-cyclonic conditions to the east which have been giving quite dreary

conditions through the month. The coldest day was January 6 and by far the coldest winter day I have been exposed

to (born in the end of 1988), when -26°c was registrated at the morning and no higher than -15°c mid day.

Most of the snow fell prior to christmas and through the beginning of the new year, and since then it has been

quite calm through the whole month until the end when the air pressure felt the 28th from 1040 hPa to 990 hPa

in 24 hours, giving us some extra 15 cm of snow.

But the most remarkable thing with this month has been the complete abscence of above-degrees.

Not even 1987 when the temperature average was some 3 degrees lower than this year didn't always stick below zero.

Two days measured 1-2°c with a slight thaw. This year not a single day reached zero degrees or above in Stockholm,

and that is probably more unusual to get such a maxima than the temperature average for the whole month we now have landed on (!)

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I don't keep exact records or anything, just check the temp in the garden when I go out to feed the birds etc but the coldest day (easy to remember) was the 7th with a max of -2C and the highest max was sometime last week around 9C. Most days in the first half of the month were maximums near or below freezing

There was partial very slight snow cover from New Years Day to 5th January and then following snowfall on 6th Jan there was then full and quite deep snow cover all the way up to 14th/15th January when a thaw occured. Snow fell on nearly every day to some degree or other from the 1st to the 13th inclusive. There was then a little sleet and wet snow on the 20th (didn't settle) and then a brief snow flurry on Fri 29th

(again amounted to nothing)

Snow is still to this day to be found in piles in my local supermarket car park and the local secondary school driveway where bulldozers cleared it into big heaps

A distinctly winter flavoured month and colder and snowier than for some time!drinks.gif

Posted

January 2010 was the coldest month I have ever recorded (since mid 2003), the first month to have a sub zero average minimum and had the most number of wintry precipitation days of any month recorded!! And that is despite quite a milder second half of the month, because until the 14th the overall mean was sub zero!

Average max = 3.46c (highest 9.3c on 22 Jan)

Average min = -0.37c (lowest = -6.9c on 8 Jan)

Mean = 1.54c

Dry days = 13 (mostly weekend days lol)

Precip days = 18 of which 11 wintry, mainly snow)

Rainfall = 93mm

Castlebay Isle Of Barra January 2010

Highest Temperature 9.8°C

Lowest Temperature -2.6°C

Total Rainfall 55mm

Highest Humidity 47%

Lowest Humidity 96%

Highest Average Wind Speed 40mph

Average Wind Speed 20mph

Highest Gust 73mph

Highest Pressure 1037mb

Lowest Pressure 981mb

Lowest Wind Chill -15°C

Highest Dew Point 5.8°C

Lowest Dew Point -6.6°C

Edited by weathermaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If anybody can call this month unremarkable then they are living in the wrong country! By far the coldest month here on record (going back to Jan 2005) and the most frosts in a month. I recorded a frost for every night of the first 15 days. Also recorded my lowest ever temperature.

Max temp...8.6c

Min temp...-10.4c

Average temp...0.6c

Max DP...7.1c

Min DP...n/a (got it as -73.3c, obviously an error)

Average DP...-1.0c

Max pressure...1014.9hpa

Min pressure...990.4hpa

Precipitation...54.1mm

Frosts...22

A fantastic winter month. Not much in the way of snowfall, but I did get a few inches that stuck around for quite some time.

Posted

January 2010 Summary and Statistics for Lampeter, Ceredigion

Very cold: Exceptionally cold and snowy first half

The coldest month since February 1986 probably, with some of the lowest temperatures possible for this area experienced. I have not come across anything lower locally than the -16.7c recorded on the 8th, and the lowest maxima of -5.1c on the 7th would be close to a record for these parts too.

1st- 3rd: A cold start to the month with a covering of snow late on the 1st, this covering then lasted until the 15th. Slight overnight frosts.

4th-10th: Exceptionally cold, continuous snow cover and very severe frosts. Nothing above +2c during this bitter week! 4 ice days and 4 minima below -10c. Further snowfalls occurred on the 5th and 6th, with 13cm lying by this stage. Most of the 6th- 9th was clear or sunny with very severe frosts and little thawing at all.

11th- 14th: Less cold and cloudy with a slow thaw setting in. However snowfalls again on the 12-13th, and a total accumulation of 16cm by the latter, which was only just short of the depth in February 2007 (17cm).

15th- 24th: A rapid thaw occurred on the 15th with virtually no lying snow left by evening. This was the start of a spell of average to mild temperatures, though it never quite reached 10c. It was, however, cold on the 20th. 37mm rain fell on the 15th (most of this early on the 16th). Further rain at times to the 24th, with sunny intervals too.

25th- 27th: A big rise in pressure to 1043mbar- the highest level since December 2006 (1044mbar). Quite cold and rather cloudy, but mainly dry, before a little rain and milder conditions later on the 27th.

28th-29th: Milder and unsettled with spells of rain, but yet another change to colder air during the 29th.

28th- 31st: Rain and wind 28th, it then turned cold with wintry showers and frosts providing a suitable end to this very wintry month. There was a snow cover once more for the final 2 days, with 5cm lying on the 31st.

Snow drift remnants, especially on hill-sides, remained to the end of the month, meaning that snow was always within sight from New Year's Day

Statistics

Total rainfall: 112.2mm

Wettest day: 36.8mm 15th

Rain days >0.2mm: 20

Wet days >1.0mm: 18

Days of heavy rain >10mm: 2

Mean temperature: 0.85c

Mean Max: 3.8c

Mean Min: -2.2c

High max: 9.6c 16th

Low Max: -5.1c 7th

High min: 7.0c 22nd

Low min: -16.7c 8th

Ice Days: 4

Air frost: 15

Ground frost: 20

Mean RH: 93%

High RH: 98% various dates

Low RH: 68% 30th

Predominant wind direction: North (data from 9th only)

Mean pressure: 1013mbar

Max pressure: 1043mbar 26th

Min pressure: 991mbar 29th

Days with:

Hail: 2 or 3

Sleet or snow: 15

Snow lying 0900: 16

Gale: 0

Thunder: 0

Fog: 1

Fog at 0900: 0

post-2595-12650454560888_thumb.jpg post-2595-12650454730788_thumb.jpg

Notes to graphs:

Need add 19mbar for absolute pressure

Rainfall under-recorded due to snow, Snowdon gauge 112mm accurate.

Wind not recorded before 9th

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

January, a great 1st half, crappy 2nd half (except for 30-31st)

first 13 days sub zero minimum, 4 ice days, snow from 5th-14th, also more snow 31st

highest max = 10.0°C on the 18th

lowest max = -2.3°C on the 7th

highest min = 4.0°C on the 22nd

lowest min = -9.3°C on the 8th

avg max 3.7°C

avg min -1.2°C

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

I don't keep weather records or anything like that but I will point out some observations from up here.

Continuous snowcover from 31st Dec to 15th Jan. December had 50%+ of lying snow for around 10 days and never completely melted meaning we had nearly a month of lying snow.

The biggest depth of snow was around 30cm which was around the 11th Jan and certainly the deepest snow here for quite some time.

We have also had snowcover for the last two days of the month, so nearly 2/3rds of the month have had snowcover. Jan on its own would have been remarkable in the 'modern winters' but coupled with Dec it has been a truely exceptional spell of weather by modern standards.

Edited by Snow White

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Most details here http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/html/last_months_report.html

And for a laugh you have a look at my predictions for next month mainly for our region. Last month was total cock bar the comment about significant snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Station location - Lat: 52.18Deg N Long: 1.12Deg W Elev: 119m.

Jan 2010

Mean Max: 3.8C

Mean Min: -0.9C

Mean Temp: 1.4C

Month Max: 8.6C (18th)

Month Min: -7.7C (7th)

Month Low Max: -0.3C (9th)

Month High Min: 4.6C (22nd)

Monthly Precipitation: 38.8mm

Max Precipitation: 12.19mm (22nd)

17 air frosts observed in Jan. And 1 Ice day with a number of close calls.

For here

Days of Falling Snow = 10 (More than any month since my records began in 1998/99)

Met Office Snow Days = 15 (More than any winter since my records began in 1998/99)

Days of Lying Snow = 19 (More than any winter since my records began in 1998/99)

By any reckoning a very cold and snowy month, with a great deal of ice and frost to start the month. Snow fell on the evening of the 1st, and this remained in the shade until the 4th. There was a top-up on the 5th and this stayed largely un-thawed in garden until the 14th, helped by a heavy snowfall of around 5 inches on the 12th. There was a further moderate snowfall on the 29th to end the month.

Certainly the most wintry month since February 1991, and possible more severe than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The coldest and snowiest January since 1987 here. There were 11 'ice days' and 16 days with a mean temp' of 0.0c or lower, both equalling Jan' 1987. It was the driest Jan' since 2006 and the sunniest since 2001.

Mean max'...1.9c...( -2.6c )

Mean min'...-1.3c..( -1.7c )

Highest max'.. 6.9c..( 18th )

Lowest max'..-2.5c.. ( 3rd )

Lowest min'..-5.7c...( 7th )

Highest min'..3.3c...( 19th )

Total Rainfall...80.9mm.. ( 70% )

Max' daily fall..14.1mm...( 15th )

Rain Days ( 0.2mm or more )..18

Days with sleet/snow ...18

Snow lying at 0900......17

Air Frost...............20

Ground Frost............25

Total Sunshine........61.65 hrs ( 110% )

Sunniest day...........7.23 hrs ( 30th )

Posted

Hedon, East Yorkshire.

January 2010

Warmest Max: 7.6°C (on 27/01/10) - Coldest on record

Coldest Max: 0.4°C (on 04/01/10) - Coldest since 1996

Warmest Min: 3.9°C (on 23/01/10) - Coldest on record

Coldest Min: -3.7°C (on 04/01/10 & 07/01/10) - Coldest since 2002

Average Max: 3.5°C (-3.3°C Below 1971-2000 Average) - Coldest Since 1987

Average Min: 0.0°C (-1.5°C Below 1971-2000 Average) - Coldest since 1987

Overall Average: 1.8°C (-2.4°C Below 1971-2000 Average) - Coldest Since 1987

Rain: 77.6mm (153% Of Normal)

Wettest Day: 22nd (17.5mm)

Air Frosts: 14 (Most since 1992)

Sleet/Snow Falling: 12 days

Snow lying at 0900: 12 days

Dry Days: 5

Wet Days: 26

Days With Rain >1.0mm: 19

Thunderstorms: 0

The coldest January since 1987 and the coldest combined January and December on record. The month was consistently below average with no mild weather whatsoever. The temperature rose above 5C on just 8 days and the high maxima of 7.6C was the lowest on record. Nights were rather cold too, with just 7 days recording minima above 2C. The coldest night dropped to -3.7C, making it the coldest for 8 years - only to be repeated 3 days later. The low maxima of 0.4C was the lowest since 1996.

The month started with snow falling on 9 of the first 10 days. Snow laid on the ground for 10 consecutive days with a maximum depth of 8cm - the most since 2004. The mean for the first third of the month was just -0.3C. The wind then turned easterly in the second week, spelling an end to the harsh frosts and high levels of sunshine. It still remained cold though. The period from the 9th - 16th was completely sunless.

It then turned less cold for a time, with persistent rain and few frosts. This didnt last long however, with a northerly airflow at the end of the month bringing further snow and frosts. There was 1.5cm snow lying on the final two days, though only just meeting the Metoffice definition with a half cover by day 2.

Overall, an exceptional month and the first to record a sub-2C mean for 23 years. In complete contrast to last year's dry January, it was rather wet. There were no exceptionally low temperatures common in the 1980's coldest months, but it is certainly a memorable one nonetheless.

Posted

A monthly mean temperature here last month of -0.3C. A sub-zero mean temperature! The lowest previous mean was 1.3C in Dec last year, and before that 1.5C in both February and December 2001. So staggeringly cold, including the lowest daily maximum and the lowest daily minimum I've recorded in 12 years.

The raw facts are:

Monthly mean maximum; 2.4C

Highest daily maximum; 8.4C (27th)

Lowest daily maximum; -6.5C (8th)

Monthly mean minimum; -3.0C

Highest daily minimum; 3.6C (22nd)

Lowest daily minimum; -14.8C (8th)

Mean temperature; -0.3C (12 year mean 3.3C)

Total number of air frosts; nineteen

Total number of ice days; five

Total precipitation; 37.7mm