Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast - Cold Spell Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

NW Radar showing band of sleet moving slowly SW towards London at the moment.

Just saw this on the model thread, very funny.

Posted

NW Radar showing band of sleet moving slowly SW towards London at the moment.

Some rain, with very occasional sleet developing here, in Sawbo, East Herts. In last 30 minutes.

Posted

Did anyone see Countryfile weather for this coming week. What did they

say about sleet/snow amounts and on which days.

Thomaz gave the Country Tracks forecast todayclap.gif and had snow flurries showing for most of the week, what fun!cold.gif

Good old Thomaz. :). He presents it in the sameway Yamkin would if he were presenting the week apart.

On an aside, I heard on BBC essex radio that local councils in Surrey and some in Sussex, did NOT stock

up on salt since the last snowy episode and some only have about 4 days supply :) What is

it about gritters and councils ?? They just cant cope. lol. :)

Posted

Did anyone see Countryfile weather for this coming week. What did they

say about sleet/snow amounts and on which days.

Good old Thomaz. ;). He presents it in the sameway Yamkin would if he were presenting the week apart.

On an aside, I heard on BBC essex radio that local councils in Surrey and some in Sussex, did NOT stock

up on salt since the last snowy episode and some only have about 4 days supply :whistling: What is

it about gritters and councils ?? They just cant cope. lol. ;)

Don't even get me started on the ruddy council and gritters, complete joke, looks like the SE will grind to a halt again for the foreseeable, when will the councils learn is my question..

I ain't complaining about it grinding to a halt by the way. cold.gifyahoo.gifcold.gif

Edited by Weathizard

Posted

It's been a miserable day here today, grey and dismal although I like to call it grismal BORING! 5c here at the moment.

Looking forward to the cold spell this weekdrinks.gif if only we could get what America had last night I would be happyclap.gif

Posted

Good evening all.

After looking at 12z i still cant decide if the ppn coming in tonight into tomorrow will be snow or sleet or rain

post-10842-12655614844517_thumb.png

GFS says snow

post-10842-12655615035417_thumb.png

NAE says rain, then turning to snow further north

post-10842-12655616737517_thumb.gif

What are other peoples thoughts? whistling.gif

Edited by thegreat316

Posted

Good evening all.

After looking at 12z i still cant decide if the ppn coming in tonight into tomorrow will be snow or sleet or rain

post-10842-12655614844517_thumb.png

GFS says snow

post-10842-12655615035417_thumb.png

NAE says rain, then turning to snow further north

post-10842-12655616737517_thumb.gif

What are other peoples thoughts? whistling.gif

Think most of the snow will be on higher ground,until midweek,that seemed to be the impression i got from the country forecast at lunchtime.

Posted

Think most of the snow will be on higher ground,until midweek,that seemed to be the impression i got from the country forecast at lunchtime.

Netweather NNM shows falling as snow from midnight

(this has been showing as snow from midnight tonight consistantly since yesterday morning)

Edited by Buzzit

Posted

Netweather NNM shows falling as snow from midnight

(this has been showing as snow from midnight tonight consistantly since yesterday morning)

Thx guys for the responses. Will try and catch countryfiles forecast tonight. Nnm is usually quite accurate, so a good sign that it shows snow.

i guess it will be a nowcast/lampost kinda thing. if people get ppn into tonight/tomorrow let us know what it is? rain/sleet/snow.

many thanks

Posted

Thx guys for the responses. Will try and catch countryfiles forecast tonight. Nnm is usually quite accurate, so a good sign that it shows snow.

i guess it will be a nowcast/lampost kinda thing. if people get ppn into tonight/tomorrow let us know what it is? rain/sleet/snow.

many thanks

That band of precipitation looks to be heading my way but will definitely be rain as the temp is currently 5.3C.

Still I will keep my fingers crossed for some light snow showers tomorrow.

Posted

A really light snow shower in Ramsgate at the moment ... well proberly sleety but definatly a step in the right direction ... temp currently +3.4c

Gazza B ;o)

Posted

Rain and sleet in Brighton,but have to say it does feel a lot colder,not sure what the temp is though?drinks.gif

Posted

To anyone wanting the Countryfile forecast: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4IoFmgSNBv4 smile.gif

Thx for that, just watched it before the newer countryfile was on just now.

looked very similiar

he said by friday, parts of the south east could of seen some significant accumulations.drinks.gif

Posted

good evening all :( coming into work tonight we had a bit of sleety drizzle stuff, which considering the temps was a bit of suprise. i am not convinced tomorrow will give anyting but sleety showers as the temps are still too high (currently 4.5 °C ). but by wednesday we shoudl see some snow here in the SE. i notice there are no weather watch's on met office site though. :(

thomasz is a hero for his forecast today at lunchtime :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Just watched the country file forecast and they have snow showers for us pretty much every day starting from tomorrow.

I don't think we will see much lying / disruptive snow from what i've been reading until the end of the week but then I am off work for half term so if it all pans out will have the oppurtunity to have fun in the snow with the kids.

The first bit of snow showing on the NW radar but up in Scotland and the North sea at the moment.

Also wanted to add this quote from Glacier Point who I believe is one of the most knowledgeable and respected posteres here on NW. I bolded the interesting bits.

GFS ensemble mean is opening the door for a significant snow event, roughly t200 through t300 on current programming for southern UK and t200 - t360+ further north.

This is t264 but it's a good representation of a deep trough to our east filtering cold air south and south-west, and low heights right across the Atlantic allowing lows to approach from our south-west as the core upper ridge shifts towards Canada and western Greenland:

http://raleighwx.eas...nomalyNH264.gif

Projected 850s at this time are well below average:

http://raleighwx.eas...nomalyNH264.gif

Operational ECM guidance is very similar.

Based on Global Wind Oscillation composites, the evolution towards this west based -NAO will take some time and there may be a case for current model guidance being too progressive with an Atlantic low swinging in. With the AO likely to become strongly negative, a Scandinavian trough looks very sustained which will mean the cold puddle of air over NW Europe will take a lot of shifting. The snow threat from next weekend onwards should not be underestimated.

Edited by Jayces

Posted

Just watched the country file forecast and they have snow showers for us pretty much every day starting from tomorrow.

I don't think we will see much lying / disruptive snow from what i've been reading until the end of the week but then I am off work for half term so if it all pans out will have the oppurtunity to have fun in the snow with the kids.

The first bit of snow showing on the NW radar but up in Scotland and the North sea at the moment.

:lol: is it half term already? :lol: just as well my next shift cycle starts Saturday 13th. i have the week home to enjoy walking the dog and watching my daughter in all the snow :lol:

Posted

Isn't Thomaz the best, love him onCountry Tracksair_kiss.gif He is right up there with our very own Yamkinair_kiss.gifair_kiss.gif LOL!

Temps here are dropping fast, it's already getting more than chilly here. Neilsouth, I hope you can keep warm in the coming dayscold.gif

Someone please tell me I can have a snow day off work in the coming fortnight, the last two events I managed to make it in to work every day, all be it wearing my ski suit sigh.

Off to have a wee glass of wine before the lampost watching beginsdrinks.gif

Posted

Isn't Thomaz the best, love him onCountry Tracksair_kiss.gif He is right up there with our very own Yamkinair_kiss.gifair_kiss.gif LOL!

Temps here are dropping fast, it's already getting more than chilly here. Neilsouth, I hope you can keep warm in the coming dayscold.gif

Someone please tell me I can have a snow day off work in the coming fortnight, the last two events I managed to make it in to work every day, all be it wearing my ski suit sigh.

Off to have a wee glass of wine before the lampost watching beginsdrinks.gif

i give you permission to have a day off any day you like snowy :D

make that a large glass and have one for me please. :)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

We had a hail shower earlier !