IGNORED

Welsh Cold Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi Guys,

Cold spell up coming and increasing in strength and instability as the week progresses.

Joe B has an update at 3am regarding the instability of the cold air southwestward and what looks like might be a very snowy period, add to that GP and his thoughts last night - AND Steve Murr getting excited (in his own way) - we could be on the cusp of a great spell of winter weather - and I am sure Wales will join in the fun.

Beeb Wales show it dry on their graphics - but only till Thursday - then you get the News 24 showing showers getting as far as the east of Wales - this is an event that will be virtually 'nowcasting' as to the distribution of the showersand/or heavier ppn in the initial stages - then next weekend and next week is where the fun 'should' start.

As described - this is a slow burn - get the cold - snow will come.

JK

Posted

must have been raining here through the night, just noticed its wet out there and cannot see any snow on mountains.

when will we have a better idea of what the weather will be for next sat,sunday,mon and tues,we have booked to go away on sat and towing our caravan and due back on tues,dont want to lose my money but rather that than the caravan and family,i waited to book and it did look like weather was going to be mild but it seems all has changed and next weekend and next week could be snowy.

Posted

must have been raining here through the night, just noticed its wet out there and cannot see any snow on mountains.

when will we have a better idea of what the weather will be for next sat,sunday,mon and tues,we have booked to go away on sat and towing our caravan and due back on tues,dont want to lose my money but rather that than the caravan and family,i waited to book and it did look like weather was going to be mild but it seems all has changed and next weekend and next week could be snowy.

I'd say if I was a betting man for next weekend that travel may become a problem for quite a bit of the UK - we're only going to definitely know this from about wednesday/thursday onwards - it defo won't be mild that's for sure -5s at night!!!!!!!!!!!!cold.gifcold.gif

Well Joe B in the middle of last night has spoken again - and this time I think I beat him to it - he's commenting about valentine's weekend and how snowy it's going to be in the UK and across Europe - there's strange!!!!!!!!!!!cold.gif

Posted

I'd say if I was a betting man for next weekend that travel may become a problem for quite a bit of the UK - we're only going to definitely know this from about wednesday/thursday onwards - it defo won't be mild that's for sure -5s at night!!!!!!!!!!!!cold.gifcold.gif

Thanks Andy for your advice and to be honest the cold is ok,been away in cold temps than that we put thermal blanket around water and if its that cold we wont use water,but any snow is a major problem,will have to wait until maybe fri to make a decision. trust it to come back to cold lol we like snow and cold but rather going away lol.

Posted

Morning Andy

Quite alot of snow piling into essex and the south east at the moment and it seems to be moving west at a fair rate of knots

I hope we manage to get a shower or two out of it

but I would be happy if it just brought some more cold into Wales

Cardiff Barrage

temp 3.3c

dp 0.8c

average windspeed 7mph

direction NE

Posted

Morning Andy

Quite alot of snow piling into essex and the south east at the moment and it seems to be moving west at a fair rate of knots

I hope we manage to get a shower or two out of it

but I would be happy if it just brought some more cold into Wales

Cardiff Barrage

temp 3.3c

dp 0.8c

average windspeed 7mph

direction NE

Morning Nomad - Yep I got me eye on the wadge of snow crossing central England at the mo - may well see a few grains out of that if it's got the legs to get as far as Wales - the cold is guaranteed mate - it's just gonna get colder and colder this week!

Thanks Andy for your advice and to be honest the cold is ok,been away in cold temps than that we put thermal blanket around water and if its that cold we wont use water,but any snow is a major problem,will have to wait until maybe fri to make a decision. trust it to come back to cold lol we like snow and cold but rather going away lol.

Where are you going with the caravan?

Posted

Morning Nomad - Yep I got me eye on the wadge of snow crossing central England at the mo - may well see a few grains out of that if it's got the legs to get as far as Wales - the cold is guaranteed mate - it's just gonna get colder and colder this week!

Where are you going with the caravan?

we are going down somerset sea level,so i hope there wont be much snow there but i just heard on radio 1 that they had read in a paper that the snow that has hit america will move accross the water to us and give 30 inches of snow,i have not read this it was chris moyles etc talking about 40 mins ago,by the way there is grains of snow in the air here and a very slight white colour on bwlch mountain.

Posted

we are going down somerset sea level,so i hope there wont be much snow there but i just heard on radio 1 that they had read in a paper that the snow that has hit america will move accross the water to us and give 30 inches of snow,i have not read this it was chris moyles etc talking about 40 mins ago,by the way there is grains of snow in the air here and a very slight white colour on bwlch mountain.

We were only talking about this on this forum last night - not necessarily that the actual snow system from america will be dropping the snow on us but synoptically about a week or so after they get it our weather synoptics develop snow as well - and from the looks of things they could well be right about amounts of snow - but we'll have to wait a few days to confirm that!

Posted

We have a very light something blowing in the wind here in Ponty - could well be lightish sleet/snow

Defo SNOW - here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I understand that the snow falling in America will not fall here but it it does seem to be that when they have snow our weather does not seem to be that far behind

After all the planet does run in cycles the seasons being the most obvious

However there is a more modern cycle and that is the 7 day dust cycle which has been proven to cause more precipitation on a Saturday than any other day throughout a year

So maybe there is some cyclic link between Americas weather and ours

Another example would be ST Switherns day (sorry about the spelling) at an uneducated guess I would imagine this came about when our climate was different to now and when it rained on that day it was synoptically set up to rain for a fair while after this leading to propergation of the story

Theres always a grain of truth in these stories its just a matter of sifting through the chaff to get to it

Posted

I think we had some sleet earlier. The ground is wet and there is currently no precipitation.

Temp: 2.2C

DP: 0.2C

Wind: NNE

Posted

Coming down a little heavier now - still nothing to speak of but snowing all the same

Carmarthen was treated to a little light rain earlier... well, that's Carmarthen for you! rolleyes.gif

Posted

Well Joe B in the middle of last night has spoken again - and this time I think I beat him to it - he's commenting about valentine's weekend and how snowy it's going to be in the UK and across Europe - there's strange!!!!!!!!!!!cold.gif

I think he's secretly following your posts and claiming the scoops for himself Andy lol

Posted

I think he's secretly following your posts and claiming the scoops for himself Andy lol

Thanks Steve - let's hope you don't have a theatre booking you can't get to - like you did last time!doh.gif

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Here we go again.

I'm a passive observer on these boards until it starts to get interesting, although AndyM and Pascal have given me a lot to chuckle about the last week.

I really would like a concerted effort from this Easterly this time. 1ft - 2ft would be nice this time round whistling.gif

I just hope it doesn't start falling while i'm in work again. The Heads of the Valleys can be particularly difficult to negotiate even in good conditions.

Posted

Thanks Steve - let's hope you don't have a theatre booking you can't get to - like you did last time!doh.gif

I'm taking the laptop home on Friday Andy so I can "work from home" with the other fathers building snowmen and sledging down the hills - just in case

Posted

Here we go again.

I'm a passive observer on these boards until it starts to get interesting, although AndyM and Pascal have given me a lot to chuckle about the last week.

I really would like a concerted effort from this Easterly this time. 1ft - 2ft would be nice this time round whistling.gif

I just hope it doesn't start falling while i'm in work again. The Heads of the Valleys can be particularly difficult to negotiate even in good conditions.

Don't think you'll have any real problems until next weekend but who knows - there may be a surprise in store and today looks like we might get our first one - easterly showers could give us a slight covering - should be nothing to worry us though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Don't think you'll have any real problems until next weekend but who knows - there may be a surprise in store and today looks like we might get our first one - easterly showers could give us a slight covering - should be nothing to worry us though

The only problem i have is i want lots of snow but the wifes birthday is this weekend, same as Valentines Day. whistling.gif

Didn't expect this light grainy stuff today though.

Are we looking at a significant snow event for the weekend?

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

It's been snizzly light tiny snow grains for hours here now in Cwmbran.

It's only 2.5C outside and there's more potent ( but still only light ) showers heading this way for later. May have a covering/dusting just to look at under the lamposts later.

Bullworker

Cwmbran

150m asl 5 Miles East of Newport Borough.

Posted

It's coming down like little balls of polystyrene... not sticking around for long, ground wet.

The big blob north of east anglia is fizzling out quickly. Hopefully some of it will be left by the time it reaches here.

Edited by Jamie.ed

Posted

Much as I stare out the window and belive I'm seeing things, there's nothing here in Nantgarw, although I've had tales of "it's snowing in Gurnos" and the like.