Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Welsh Cold Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Much as I stare out the window and belive I'm seeing things, there's nothing here in Nantgarw, although I've had tales of "it's snowing in Gurnos" and the like.

I wouldn't believe snow in the Gurnos. I'm a stones throw away in middle of MT and we've had nothing to shout about

Posted

Had a couple of very light snow showers earlier which was nice. Looking at the model output discussion though, it all looks Doom and Gloom now. Fingers crossed though. We can do it, if we B & Q it.....

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Had a couple of very light snow showers earlier which was nice. Looking at the model output discussion though, it all looks Doom and Gloom now. Fingers crossed though. We can do it, if we B & Q it.....

You have once more been reading a different model output discussion to me then!

Only one poster on there (not including Aspire27- he does not count) is downbeat as he thinks the high gets further south later in the week, but noone else agrees!

Outlook this week is cold to very cold, with mainly dry conditions out west, while the SE still the best bet for any significant snowfalls.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

I was interested in what the countryfile forecast was saying about a 'feature' moving down the western side of the uk on Wednesday, but I haven't been able to find any sign of it on any of the charts- anybody know what they were on about?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Any significant snow this week for south west Wales?

Posted

I gave a likely outcome just above or is that not what you wanted to hear?

No doubt some of the other contributors will give what you wish for later on here.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

if the wind of still E then might I get some snow tonight?

Some very black clouds coming in from the preselis here

Probably not although towards the weekend, some snow cannot be ruled out, next week looks far more promising with a potent northerly looking likely.

Posted

if the wind of still E then might I get some snow tonight?

Some very black clouds coming in from the preselis here

Doubt we will see anything other than the odd flurry over the next few days but who knows lol, hopefully the models change in our favour.

Posted

Probably not although towards the weekend, some snow cannot be ruled out, next week looks far more promising with a potent northerly looking likely.

aww thats when my 1/2 term is hehe never mind as long as I see something white falling out the sky i am happy :lol:

Posted

I Don't expect any snow here in Swansea , but as I am about to drop my daughter off for cadets I am wondering is it likely ?as I don't fancy trying to get her at 9.30 if it's snowing.

Posted

I Don't expect any snow here in Swansea , but as I am about to drop my daughter off for cadets I am wondering is it likely ?as I don't fancy trying to get her at 9.30 if it's snowing.

No, you may see the odd flake but nothing to worry about.

Posted

Could be flakes in the air but it should spare the roads.

I was interested in what the countryfile forecast was saying about a 'feature' moving down the western side of the uk on Wednesday, but I haven't been able to find any sign of it on any of the charts- anybody know what they were on about?

A weak trough moving SW across Wales Wednesday on this chart ( just posted by Eugene on the Model output thread):

Eugenes link

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Looks to be any major snows will be in the east until at least the weekend - once we start to get a northerly and quite a potent one is progged next week then we may get a better chance at some major snows ourselves - the easterly this week is proving to be quite a weak wispy affair - if it was a raging easterly then more of the larger showers would have more of a chance at making it into Wales - as it is we are getting flurries which only started out as light snow showers anyway! - the weekend is still up in the air - the GFS model this afternoon is not showing much for the weekend right now but could change on the next run! - we will know more closer to the weekend around wednesday/thursday

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Looks to be any major snows will be in the east until at least the weekend - once we start to get a northerly and quite a potent one is progged next week then we may get a better chance at some major snows ourselves - the easterly this week is proving to be quite a weak wispy affair - if it was a raging easterly then more of the larger showers would have more of a chance at making it into Wales - as it is we are getting flurries which only started out as light snow showers anyway! - the weekend is still up in the air - the GFS model this afternoon is not showing much for the weekend right now but could change on the next run! - we will know more closer to the weekend around wednesday/thursday

Can't see us getting anything.

Posted

Can't see us getting anything.

We will Jay - don't be down hearted - have faith - this cold spell is gonna be a long one and we will get snow at some point!

This isn't really a cold spell compared to last month lol tbh.

It only just started yesterday - last night - give it a chance - by the end of the week we will be down to -5 over night in temps and once the cold is securely in then the snow can work it's magic - just believe Jay!