Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sky very dark here with some rain just starting again. 4C so not all that cold yet.

No frost last night for the first time in a week. Min was 1.2C.

ps Happy Birthday Blitzen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

not looking good for the central belt this week for snow, not due to upper temps but lack of precip missing out yet again!!! Feb has been pants for snow in this area

On a possitive note it's been a brilliant season for skiing, so a boost for the economy. It's not too far away if you'd like your snow fix, like I was saying in a previous post I was at Loch Katrine and many of the lochan are still frozen :drinks:

(Lochan are small lochs for anyone that doesn't know)

Edited by NorthernRab

Came home from Tesco through a huge snow shower. Road was white, fields were white, temp down to 1C. No snow covering in Kilmacolm but snow has stuck above about 800ft (going by the hills to my west).

I don't quite get the Met-O weather warning for Icy Roads not being extended to cover here, every surface outside is dripping wet and will freeze up very quickly as the temps fall away. Oh well, what would I know?? :drinks: Although it will be my sorry bum falling over in the morning....

Posted

Came home from Tesco through a huge snow shower. Road was white, fields were white, temp down to 1C. No snow covering in Kilmacolm but snow has stuck above about 800ft (going by the hills to my west).

I don't quite get the Met-O weather warning for Icy Roads not being extended to cover here, every surface outside is dripping wet and will freeze up very quickly as the temps fall away. Oh well, what would I know?? :drinks: Although it will be my sorry bum falling over in the morning....

DO NOT QUESTION ZE MET OFFICE!!!

Posted

Cool, I think we got a lot of hail from that here. Just back in from work and there is still some piled up in the corners where the wind has blown it :)

Had a very wet heavy snow shower in Edinburgh at about 2pm as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm looking foreward to some snow tonight...Happy B'Day Blitzkreig... :drinks::) :)

Posted

I'm looking foreward to some snow tonight...Happy B'Day Blitzkreig... :drinks::) :)

Looking quite good for the sneachd in Inbhir Nis the night, 1'C with a dewpoint of -1'C I see :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

not looking good for the central belt this week for snow, not due to upper temps but lack of precip missing out yet again!!! Feb has been pants for snow in this area

I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage. NAE shows precip getting further south tomorrow nighthttp://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/15/basis12/ukuk/prec/10021700_1512.gif

Remember how hard shortwaves are to predict, so more events will pop up I feel.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all. 2.5 C with a little light drizzle.

Could see snow starting to lie on the higher hills around Soutra on the way home.

Posted

Evening all. Was up in Dyce today.Heavy sleet for a few hours.

Hills were white coming back down the road. Back up there tomorrow, so perhaps some snow will edge back in from the sea.

Hopefully follow me back down the road in the afternoon.

Happy b-day Blitzendrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Looking quite good for the sneachd in Inbhir Nis the night, 1'C with a dewpoint of -1'C I see :)

May be my last night in the Sneck, NR...Off to Londonshire on the Sleeper tommoz. Your guarantee of a six-foot dumping! :clap:

Posted

I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage. NAE shows precip getting further south tomorrow nighthttp://expert.weathe...021700_1512.gif

Remember how hard shortwaves are to predict, so more events will pop up I feel.

LS

Theres the ole wraparound that I've been watching for the last few days now, still very much the risk of 5-15cms from this feature I suspect as it will be quite a slow moving system as it rotates around the developing main low system...

Plenty to watch out for up in Scotland, esp NE Scotland...

Posted

Theres the ole wraparound that I've been watching for the last few days now, still very much the risk of 5-15cms from this feature I suspect as it will be quite a slow moving system as it rotates around the developing main low system...

Plenty to watch out for up in Scotland, esp NE Scotland...

Is it not correct though that feature is only going to brush the extreme NE of the mainland?. Possibly even further north than Aberdeen.

Posted

Depends on what model you believe in but most make it about 30-50 miles further south of Aberdeen, the 12z NAE for example gives some very big falls though the highest amounts likely wil lbe localised due to the nature of the evolution of the pattern...

It is true the 0z/06z were further NE but pretty much all the 12z guidence now agree on N/C eastern parts of Scotland getting at least some snow, but as I said the bullseye of say 15-20cms will probably be in a fairly localised part.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Depends on what model you believe in but most make it about 30-50 miles further south of Aberdeen, the 12z NAE for example gives some very big falls though the highest amounts likely wil lbe localised due to the nature of the evolution of the pattern...

It is true the 0z/06z were further NE but pretty much all the 12z guidence now agree on N/C eastern parts of Scotland getting at least some snow, but as I said the bullseye of say 15-20cms will probably be in a fairly localised part.

What do you reckon the chances of that bullseye being close to or south of Dundee? I don't think this is all that likely but perhaps a chance?

What do you reckon the chances of that bullseye being close to or south of Dundee? I don't think this is all that likely but perhaps a chance?

Posted

Lotsa white stuff here this evening.. I thought it wasn't dues until later? - 2-3cm and very wet!!

It's mostly hail/graupel but readily lay after the rain from about 4:30pm onwards.. neighbour has already been out to clear road ready for work tomorrow.. think that's a sign of the "no more snow days allowed"? or paranoia? - anyway we're still on half term until Thursday so will see what tonite brings

Posted

Lotsa white stuff here this evening.. I thought it wasn't dues until later? - 2-3cm and very wet!!

It's mostly hail/graupel but readily lay after the rain from about 4:30pm onwards.. neighbour has already been out to clear road ready for work tomorrow.. think that's a sign of the "no more snow days allowed"? or paranoia? - anyway we're still on half term until Thursday so will see what tonite brings

Yeh and looking at the radar, you are not even in the main band, just a small fragment........gonna get intresting up there tomorrow. My journey home from Dyce may be fun!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Skies clear here now and temps dropping. 1.5C with ice already forming on cars and some surfaces after the recent showers.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Hard to say really, I suspect Dundee area will be right on the southern edge of the front which means I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of snow unless things shift a little southwards.

It seems to me that the greatest risk zone goes from Aberdeen-Inverness and locations north.

Posted

Hard to say really, I suspect Dundee area will be right on the southern edge of the front which means I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of snow unless things shift a little southwards.

It seems to me that the greatest risk zone goes from Aberdeen-Inverness and locations north.

Sounds good to me!

Posted

Thought so. Might see something I suppose but I guess the major threat for Edinburgh area is later in the week towards the weekend. It could be interesting as I'd expect at least one decent event for central areas at some point in the next 7 days.

Posted

I suspect tomorrow could well prove to be a rather interesting day for you as it happens, steering is slack so the band that went over you was very slow to clear indeed, as will the front, esp as it should pivot.

The only slight risk that I can see is if the earlier NAE runs were right and don't rotate the frontal system in quickly enough and so it only hits the far NE of the region.

Posted

Let's see how much snow we can notch up in the next 24 pagesbiggrin.gif

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/61572-scottish-cold-spell-discussion-24/

New thread above. Enjoy!

LS