Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring Bulbs

Posted

How are the spring bulbs coming on in your area? Not seen a snowdrop around this neck of the woods yet and haven't seen any shoots from daffodil bulbs pushing through the surface.

Looks like a late season compared to the bulk of the years of the last two decades.

Posted

I would agree Kevin that most round here seem slower to appear than previous winters-that said I do have several snowdrops out in a tub by the front door and the pansies this morning appear to be making an effort to perk up, but for the rest the bulb shoots are certainly not as advanced as the last few years at this time

!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

The snowdrops have been in full flower for almost a week now. I think it was that heatwave at the end of last week that did it! A few crocuses are showing but nowhere near to budding yet.

Most of our snowdrops are around the base of trees so maybe a little sheltered.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Snow drop are up and flowering and the rest of the 'bulby' things are in green shoots (fritillaria,bluebells,crocus etc) I also watch the Honeysuckle for it's first shoots/leaves and they have been out since early Jan (once the snow was off the leaves so I could see them!!!).

I also imagine that all the seeds that need 'cold' to germinate will do well this year!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Snow drops are up & flowering & have been so for about a week now, but the daffs are still tiny little shoots.

Certainly a lot lot later than previous years & more in keeping with when they should flower, which is Spring for Daffs & late Winter for snow drops.

Edited by SteveB

Posted

I noticed snowdrops for the first time today, last winter they were out before Christmas 2008! Crocusses and daffodils are sprouting but way off flowering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

No sign of any snow drops up here yet, but some daffodils in pots have poked through, and then stopped. The ones in the ground aren't visible yet.

Posted

Daffodil leaves are through, showing between 3 and 5 inches. This time last year I had 3 or 4 actually in flower and in the ground not pots. No sign of any buds even in the ones in pots in the shelter of the house eaves.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I noticed snowdrops for the first time today, last winter they were out before Christmas 2008! Crocusses and daffodils are sprouting but way off flowering.

Crocusses are now flowering very well. I'm feeling proud this year as it's the first time I've had my own garden to plant bulbs in, and to see them now flowering is great.

Posted

Spring is showing it's hand down here in Somerset. The Tate-Tates are starting to bud and the Crocuses are flowering. Snowdrops have been out for a couple of weeks now & some are starting to fade.

Posted

The first crocus are in flower now in my garden-daffs are much as Mr D's shot.

oh I have a couple of miniature tulips coming out.

Posted

The snowdrops are at their peak round here right now - about 2-3 weeks later than usual, I'd say. The daffs in the front garden have been in bud for a few days but haven't dared to flower yet - about the same as last year, maybe a couple of days later.

Posted

Apparently, the National Trust's garden at Acorn Bank, which opened for the first time this year last weekend, had signs up apologising at the lack of any spring bulbs, and they reckoned they were at least a month behind.

Posted

Still no Daffs flowering yet.

The only ones that are, are the ones I bought in the last couple of weeks from the garden centre.

Edited by SteveB

Posted

Dafts have been out for a about a week now. Anems also just coming out (1 in full flower), snow drops out for 3 weeks.

Still a good 2 weeks behind what's normal though.

Posted

some crocus out and the spring flowers-pansies, polyanths are beginning to look a bit less bedraggled but no sign of any daffs-oh a couple of mini tulips now showing colour in one pot.

Posted

Nothing in my garden as the bulbs I planted early last year were of the summer variety, so a few months for those to poke through yet. Saw a few dafodils/snowdrops poking through at Bushy Ruff near Dover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Polyanths just seeing a couple of flower heads appearing now, pansies coming to again.

Snowdrops looking nice and crocus are coming along - although later this year.

Daffs and tulips miles behind too just about 1 to 2" out of the ground here, will be a while before they are in flower, not good if we have any early bees.

Edited by snowy owl