Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

10" in Reading, 8 in Kent...

Geez, where's my dummy so I can spit it out! Congrats to those who got it, hope there's a last bit left in winter for us in London.

Areas towards Dover and Folkestone and well as probably parts of the North Downs have managed or even exceeeded 10''smile.gif

Wow...so us Brightonians have snow to our east and north but we have none.. amazing bad luck really.dry.gif

The way to look at it though is for eg back in December, Brighton received several inches of snow whilst parts of east Kent received very little, or even nothing in a few areas. I was relatively fortunate to get 2 cms or snow being just to the east of the main snow band on that occasion. But it has been horses for courses this winter and I think overall, the snow has been very nicely shared around for us allsmile.gif .

Very few indeed, if any, missed out on the widespread falls in January which occured over the space of at least 10 days in the first part of the month

It has been quite a remarkable winter for snow - and it is not finished yet. Plus snow can quite easily occur into April. Remember the excellent snow event of 6 April 2008?

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

i think theres a lot of exaggeration going on . looking at Neilsouth's posts, even though he's been reporting "whiteouts" and "blizzards" for the last 3 days, these seem to have amounted to about an inch and a half.

curse of the kentimetres strikes again.

Next thing Yamkin will be on telling us there's a blizzard in Croydon. lol :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

jimmy ! thats harsh - well we still have cars (apparently) dumped around the village and into folkestone.think thats it now though. but easily 10 inches

Posted

i think theres a lot of exaggeration going on . looking at Neilsouth's posts, even though he's been reporting "whiteouts" and "blizzards" for the last 3 days, these seem to have amounted to about an inch and a half.

curse of the kentimetres strikes again.

Next thing Yamkin will be on telling us there's a blizzard in Croydon. lol :drinks:

We have had blizzard conditions since last night although the showers have been on and off, I'd say we have had at least 6" in Thanet, and drifts of 1' plus or 60 kentimetres lol, about time we had a decent dumping of snow, the amount of times we have missed out and the rest of the South East have had decent snowfalls, I think its about time we had our fair share come down & look for yourself if you don't believe us! :s

Posted

yeah come down - you wont get in though! lol

nw forecast says snow 24/7 till weds for my postcode !

sad thing is i have no one to go out and play in it with - cant get to anyone and no one can get to me :drinks:

Posted

yeah come down - you wont get in though! lol

nw forecast says snow 24/7 till weds for my postcode !

sad thing is i have no one to go out and play in it with - cant get to anyone and no one can get to me :(

That's a shame especially if we do end up having snow through til Wednesday, luckily iv got my 3yo nephew who loves the snow as much as me, at least we have this forum to exaggerate about our blizzards and ten foot snow drifts lol!

Posted
Severe winter weather returned to south-east England today, causing travel disruption.

Kent and East Sussex were worst hit by overnight snow, with accumulations of up to 10cm (4in) in places. The cold snap is expected to last until the weekend, but is not forecast to be as severe as last month. Worst-hit roads included the M20, where a jackknifed lorry stranded motorists for up to two hours, the A2 in Kent and roads around Ashford, Canterbury, Dover and Sandwich. Coastguards were called to rescue an ambulance stranded in Dover overnight, while the fire service rescued motorists from snowdrifts in Margate and Lydd.

Roads in Kent had been gritted overnight, but Chief Inspector Simon Black said people should drive in the south and east of the county only if absolutely necessary. More than 200 schools and nurseries were closed in Kent and more than 30 in East Sussex. Pfizer's research and development plant, which employs 2,500 people in Sandwich, was shut for the day. In Deal, engineers were working to restore electricity supplies disrupted overnight.

Some rail commuter services were cancelled and others severely delayed, particularly on routes around Ramsgate, Dover, Canterbury, Ashford, Hastings and Eastbourne. The Association of Train Operating Companies said 70% of services in the affected areas arrived on time during the morning rush, but said there had been "limited disruption in a very small number of areas".

Eurotunnel services were suspended, while Eurostar trains, which were hit by a points failure in Kent, resumed services, albeit with delays of 30 minutes. Eurostar, which is expected to face heavy criticism tomorrow in an official report on the Christmas travel chaos which affected its services, said today's problem was not to do with its trains. Cross-channel sailings from Dover's eastern docks were running normally, but a Port of Dover spokesman said passengers should allow extra time because of the severe weather in the town.

Other parts of the country were experiencing ice on the roads. The lowest overnight temperature was -3C at Shap in Cumbria. John Hutchinson, a forecaster with MeteoGroup UK, said: "Tomorrow, there will be more sleet and snow showers, but nothing on the scale of last night."

www.guardian.co.uk/uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Sounds very much like December 2005 to me where eastern Kent got really nailed whilst some areas NW/W of there got hardly nothing...

Still not all that surprising that a streamer set-up in this flow, they usually do!

And March 2005 when only Mid Kent and East Kent got upto a foot of snow, and rest ofd the UK was dry!

Come to think of it, East Kent always gets more snow than anywhere else.

Sunny and cold here, still just about white though from yesterdays shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Nice to hear some people have got snow-a-plenty. Imagine if that streamer had hit London, it would have been crippling.

has there been anything on the news because i watched se local at 130pm and didnt see kent snow on there, if it was london (even 2inces) it would be front newscc_confused.gif

Posted

pretty pics here - the one of ottinge is about 1 mile away from my house if that. tried posting on here but cant :(

Posted
Heavy snow hits roads and railways

The big chill returned to parts of Britain as heavy snowfalls and ice caused disruption on the road and rail network.

Kent and East Sussex suffered the worst of the bad weather overnight with falls of up to four inches (10cm) and drifting creating deeper-lying snow in places. Key roads in both counties, including the A259 between Eastbourne and Bexhill, and the M20, A28 and A2 in Kent, were treacherous for drivers. Dover Coastguard deployed four of its 4x4 vehicles to help stranded staff and patients to and from hospitals in Eastbourne and Hastings.

Some trains run by operators Southeastern and Southern were subject to delays and cancellations because of the icy conditions. And more than 200 schools and nurseries in Kent were shut, while more than 60 were closed in East Sussex ahead of next week's half-term holidays. Sub-zero temperatures were experienced in many places that missed out on snow, with the lowest temperature of minus 8C recorded in Shap, Cumbria. The chilly weather will linger into the weekend but forecasters said the cold snap would not immediately be as severe as in December or January. Chief Inspector Simon Black, of Kent Police, said all main routes in the county were "passable with care" but some were down to a single lane.

A force spokesman said: "The advice for anyone travelling on the county's roads in the mid, north and west of the county is to allow extra time for their journey or use public transport. Those in the east and south of Kent are advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Motorists should check before setting out to establish road conditions and any delays."

Cross-channel sailings from Dover's eastern docks with P&O Ferries and SeaFrance to Calais, Norfolkline to Dunkirk and LD Lines to Boulogne were running normally, with space available on all services. But a Port of Dover spokesman said: "Passengers wishing to travel to the port of Dover are advised to allow extra time due to the severe weather conditions in the Dover area."

www.google.com/hostednews

Posted

post-10753-12658994014617_thumb.jpgpost-10753-12658994504617_thumb.jpgJust a few pics of Eythorne (near Whitfield, Dover) in the snow. Lovely!post-10753-12658991595117_thumb.jpgpost-10753-12658991935517_thumb.jpg

Im sorry i don't know how to make them smaller though!

Edited by jodaw84

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Any more pics? i'm getting snow withdrawal here!

Of course the solution to get more snow in London/NW Kent would be to widen the Northern side of the Thames Estuary, and then remove Eastern Essex and Suffolk completely, and probably just as well get rid of Eastern Norfolk as well while we are at it, producing a massive lake effect in these set ups :)

:(:) :lol:

post-10753-12658994014617_thumb.jpgpost-10753-12658994504617_thumb.jpgJust a few pics of Eythorne in the snow. Lovely!post-10753-12658991595117_thumb.jpgpost-10753-12658991935517_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

But where is this though?

Could you make the pics a bit smaller, some of the pics are massive and all I can see is white. :(

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Of course the solution to get more snow in London/NW Kent would be to widen the Northern side of the Thames Estuary, and then remove Eastern Essex and Suffolk completely, and probably just as well get rid of Eastern Norfolk as well while we are at it, producing a massive lake effect in these set ups :)

:(:) :lol:

Very nice.

But where is this though?

Could you make the pics a bit smaller, some of the pics are massive and all I can see is white. :(

Nah all fine for me (pic size) Get yerself a hd computer and 26" hd monitor, most of the time now i find pics too small :)

Posted

post-10753-12658994014617_thumb.jpgpost-10753-12658994504617_thumb.jpgJust a few pics of Eythorne (near Whitfield, Dover) in the snow. Lovely!post-10753-12658991595117_thumb.jpgpost-10753-12658991935517_thumb.jpg

Im sorry i don't know how to make them smaller though!

Thanks for putting the location up.

Why not pop your location on your profile, make life a lot easier on here for snow reprts etc. :(

Nah all fine for me (pic size) Get yerself a hd computer and 26" hd monitor, most of the time now i find pics too small :)

I guess, though I'm usually on my lap top see.

I'm amazed that so many people are slipping and sliding around on the snow down there though, haven't you paid any attention to the Met Office weather warnings then? :lol:

:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

drunk.gifinteresting next wk looking at the charts/modelscold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

If that was a comment based on my earlier bum bouncing escapades, then yes i think i kinda forget it might be a bit slippery, the worse thing was i ended up getting asked by an older gentleman "you ok sonny?" Surely it should of been me making sure the older generation were ok?!

Posted

great pics thanks alldrinks.gif

Posted

Of course the solution to get more snow in London/NW Kent would be to widen the Northern side of the Thames Estuary, and then remove Eastern Essex and Suffolk completely, and probably just as well get rid of Eastern Norfolk as well while we are at it, producing a massive lake effect in these set ups :good:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

post of the day.

why didnt i think of that?! :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I want to see those 5 foot drifts in Hastings, not doubting, just keen to see them! biggrin.gif

My brother lives 3 miles from Hastings he says had about 5 inches of snow a lot of schools closed

Posted

If that was a comment based on my earlier bum bouncing escapades, then yes i think i kinda forget it might be a bit slippery, the worse thing was i ended up getting asked by an older gentleman "you ok sonny?" Surely it should of been me making sure the older generation were ok?!

mmmm maybe? :lol:

post of the day.

why didnt i think of that?! :blink:

Cool, I got some support already. :lol:

When can we get started though? Be nice to get the job done by the start of next Winter at the latest, but might take a bit longer with just the 2 of us digging! :lol:

DSC01029.jpg

not built by me, my sister and aunty spent a couple of hours making it... even minor details lol...

DSC01032-1.jpg

OMG, I love it!! :good:

And look, theres still lots of snow around, usually every little bit of snow is scraped up to make such a big one!

Posted

now thats a snowman!