Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

They have moved it to Sunday.

Yeah, except now, it seems, it will only affect Wales and Northern England/the Northernmost part of the Midlands.

Edited by Matt12

Posted

Expecting MORE snow tonight and next week. WHAT A STUNNING WINTER

See I think this post could be used to highlight some of the problems that are presently being argued over in the Model Output Discussion regarding the north v south debate, or the biased reading of the models to suit where a particular individual is residing.

Buxton Codge has stated above "WHAT A STUNNING WINTER." In my opinion this statement should be followed with, IN MY AREA.

Because IN MY AREA it has not been a STUNNING WINTER.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

See I think this post could be used to highlight some of the problems that are presently being argued over in the Model Output Discussion regarding the north v south debate, or the biased reading of the models to suit where a particular individual is residing.

Buxton Codge has stated above "WHAT A STUNNING WINTER." In my opinion this statement should be followed with, IN MY AREA.

However IN AT LEAST HALF OF THE UK IT HAS.

Posted

End of another 12 hour shift. Been a bit busy today so I've only had time to dip into the forum for a few minutes. Looks like some heavy rain for my non wintry town tomorrow and Monday. Having a quick read through the Model Output Discussion and the Regional threads it seems that this weather forum is now solely interested in snow, where it will fall, and how heavy. This area of the Great British Isles has no place in such a forum, we feel like 2nd Class Train Travellers at a Conservative Party Conference, not welcome.

Edited by John London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

very heavy snow shower here atm heres pic taken 2 mins ago

post-9615-12666930454817_thumb.jpg

Posted

End of another 12 hour shift. Been a bit busy today so I've only had time to dip into the forum for a few minutes. Looks like some heavy rain for my non wintry town tomorrow and Monday. Having a quick read through the Model Output Discussion and the Regional threads it seems that this weather forum is now solely interested in snow, where it will fall, and how heavy. This area of the Great British Isles has no place in such a forum, we feel like 2nd Class Train Travellers at a Conservative Party Conference, not welcome.

Erm... no! You are welcome in all discussions on Net Weather, I'm pretty sure you will be suited to the regional threads as there are plenty of regions on there that haven't got any snow forecast in the near future and are all in the same boat as you.

Posted

I have fought my way through the imaginary snow drifts and have finally made it home. I've looked again at the forum and the only interest is in Snow. So I'm now going to bed in a house in a town in the UK that in the winter of 2010 has had almost no snow, and is very likely to see even less snow in the next few weeks. Do I sound bitter and twisted? Yes. Do I think this winter was memorable? No. Do I think this forum concentrates on snow too much? Make your own minds up.

Posted

I have fought my way through the imaginary snow drifts and have finally made it home. I've looked again at the forum and the only interest is in Snow. So I'm now going to bed in a house in a town in the UK that in the winter of 2010 has had almost no snow, and is very likely to see even less snow in the next few weeks. Do I sound bitter and twisted? Yes. Do I think this winter was memorable? No. Do I think this forum concentrates on snow too much? Make your own minds up.

The forum concentrates I think on any weather that is somewhat possible in the next few days that is unusual or even exceptional. Widespread snow in the last few winters has been as rare as anything, so I can understand the obsession with it. I love snow, and this winter IMBY has been fantastic for it, very memorable. Extremely cold temps, and deep snow that seldom melted

Come summer, all eyes will be focused on thunderstorms etc, because they are unusual and uncommon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Well it certainly has here and I'm in Norfolk same as you.

Posted

15cm of snow overnight here near Buxton. WHAT A SPECIAL WINTER!

We've had a good few centimetres here too. I've got to congratulate Netweather for getting correctly forecasting snow for my area, despite the BBC forecast insisting we wouldn't be getting any :D

Posted

February has certainly turned out to be a cold month - but it hasn't been very 'interesting' in terms of cold for this part of the UK. Some, mostly light, frosts (not many actually) a little wet snow,some sleet and cold rain one night of freezing fog. Not what anyone could describe as an historic cold spell despite what the CET shows. The month has been dominated by 'possibilities' that have never quite come to fruition despite mostly very favourable synoptics. Just bad luck I guess.

Some places certainly seem to have done really well for snow which has lasted throughout in a very cold spell (Scotland, north east England, Pennines, North Yorks moors, Fells etc mostly) and Scotland seems to have done particularly well with deep embedded and consistent cold.

But for the south, whilst a cold month, February has largely disappointed for interesting 'cold spell' weather and this needs to be the caveat when looking at the CET overall I think.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Parts of the south have done well enough for snow this Feb. My own locale and many other parts of Kent and Sussex saw approx 10cms or more of powdery drifting snow the other week and there have been a few other pockets of snow dotted around other places through the month.

With the present snow events in more central and northern areas set to probably upgrade further through this last remaining week of the month then in terms, also, of the CET for the month as well, and against the context of an impressive winter as a whole then the season looks to be going out in pretty good style - albeit a very damp squib down in the south!

Posted

Parts of the south have done well enough for snow this Feb. My own locale and many other parts of Kent and Sussex saw approx 10cms or more of powdery drifting snow the other week and there have been a few other pockets of snow dotted around other places through the month.

With the present snow events in more central and northern areas set to probably upgrade further through this last remaining week of the month then in terms, also, of the CET for the month as well, and against the context of an impressive winter as a whole then the season looks to be going out in pretty good style - albeit a very damp squib down in the south!

with a block becoming established early march Tamara, i wouldnt bank on march not becoming memorable depending on whether it sets up in the right place.

Posted

bit off topic but to do with the jet stream - can anyone tell me - did the jet stream being so far south have anything to do with the terrible flooding and deaths on the island of madeira (north of the canaries) or was this just a freak weather incident?

Posted

bit off topic but to do with the jet stream - can anyone tell me - did the jet stream being so far south have anything to do with the terrible flooding and deaths on the island of madeira (north of the canaries) or was this just a freak weather incident?

On the news it said is was the worst floods in 40 years so no I don't think it played a huge part, but it probably helped make the issue worse having Atlantic lows crashing in all the time.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

with a block becoming established early march Tamara, i wouldnt bank on march not becoming memorable depending on whether it sets up in the right place.

Yes, it is possible. I was banging on about this earlier last week, but the signal for it seemed to have waned. However, there are very tentative signs in the modelling now that this might be something to watch after the low pressure domination of the current week or so.

Posted

My reading of the situation is that the jet stream being further south than usual is responsible for taking Atlantic lows further South than would normally be expected at this time of year. The events in Madeira are awfull to say the least, but the Canary Isles and many parts of Southern Spain and Portugal have also suffered from heavy rainfall and high winds in recent weeks.

Conditions which in my experience would usually be experienced further north, ie: Northern france and the UK. I would be interested to hear what others think.

BB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

My reading of the situation is that the jet stream being further south than usual is responsible for taking Atlantic lows further South than would normally be expected at this time of year. The events in Madeira are awfull to say the least, but the Canary Isles and many parts of Southern Spain and Portugal have also suffered from heavy rainfall and high winds in recent weeks.

Conditions which in my experience would usually be experienced further north, ie: Northern france and the UK. I would be interested to hear what others think.

BB

Yes a fair summing up of the Conditions around Madeira.

This chart shows the jet positioned thereabouts.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rhavn001.gif

As you say this has been the case for an extended period.

Posted

The 5th day in a row here with more than half snow cover,so much for the dry sunny day,lots of heavy snow showers earlier then a few more snow showers but normally it would be drizzle showers from a SW wind not today,as that shower gave snow grains,a max of 3c more cloud to yesterday.

Already down to -2c and speaking of the jet stream that high cirrus cloud is shifting,thought the jet stream had moved north,perhaps not,the secondary smaller jet,

Looks like tomorrows low and snow are shifting much further south latest,models/forecast.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

we had fog overnight and temp in car is -7c! the fog isnt here so we most likely wont get an ice day but its 80m in town.. is there a chance the fog will come here please! the lovely hoar frost would make it look like january again.

Edited by frostyjoe