Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's snowing here right now and we've got about 1 1/2 inches… I thought we were just supposed to get rain?

Even more confusingly, my NWTV radar says rain with the sleet/snow 15 miles to my north and west… but it's snow and we've got as decent a covering as any we've had this year (December's was better).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Snowing in Norwich, just a dusting so far, but a little more than I expected!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Just had a thought...

The temp is dropping here with a biting NE wind.

Im wondering because if this LP is further SE that it was progged, Its bringing colder air south ( colder than should of been )

Maybe this coming heavy rain over the next day or so will fall as snow ( or at least will have a better chance to )

Any thoughts?

Posted

Just had a thought...

The temp is dropping here with a biting NE wind.

Im wondering because if this LP is further SE that it was progged, Its bringing colder air south ( colder than should of been )

Maybe this coming heavy rain over the next day or so will fall as snow ( or at least will have a better chance to )

Any thoughts?

0.3 ° C here and the snow keeps on coming — yes the snow belt part of the low seems to be about 50 miles further south than programmed on the models and forecasts and the snow belt covers most of EA instead of the midlands (which for me, is the western Cambridgeshire border up to Lincolnshire, westwards to Wales).

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Can any one tell me what it will be like on Thursday as I have a phobia over the snow and have got to go to an important meeting and will not travel if there is snow thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Dull damp and wet with average temperatures looks likely for Thursday- which for you may well be good news!

Posted

Morning all,

We've had heavy sleet down here in Bridgwater for the past hour or so and the temperatue is dropping steadily - now at +1.7.

I didn't expect anything but rain this week so this has come as something of a surprise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

7.5c here in Eastbourne and heavy rain all morning so far. YUCK.

Posted

Finally it will be getting warmer from Wednesday. I've had enough of cold and damp.

According to you it's been spring like for a couple of weeks now?

For a 'Researcher in Biological Thermodynamics' (If there is such a thing) Like your profession, I do find your posts rather odd.

Posted

Into the weekend and the cold air moving S once again as the LP clears E. However during Sunday chance of snow further S as a LP tracks along the channel.

Thats my summary of the week so far.

Yes a rather marginal week with it gradually getting milder.

It's been a funny month and indeed Winter, remarkable for it's cold and yet extraordinary in the fact that snow has been in low supply. Disappointing really considering the cold air over us.

All the while the sun is getting stronger and Spring's fightback is slowly beginning

Posted

Yes a rather marginal week with it gradually getting milder.

It's been a funny month and indeed Winter, remarkable for it's cold and yet extraordinary in the fact that snow has been in low supply. Disappointing really considering the cold air over us.

All the while the sun is getting stronger and Spring's fightback is slowly beginning

In fairness, Manchester and parts of the NW have had its best snow since 1981, and parts of the south of England since 1963.

I guess you are probably talking from an Irish perspective, but this side of the Irish Sea it has been impressively snowy really, as well as consistently cold.

Sorry off topic..

Posted

According to you it's been spring like for a couple of weeks now?

For a 'Researcher in Biological Thermodynamics' (If there is such a thing) Like your profession, I do find your posts rather odd.

?

Edited by John London

Posted

According to the Met Office, Braemar recorded a minimum of -18.7C in the 24hr period up to 21.00 22nd Feb

The 22nd February minimum record is -18.3C set in 1968 also at Braemar.

So have we a new date minimum record?

Carol the Kirkwood said on Breakfast this morning at about 20 to 7 that it was currently (i.e at that time) -19.2 in Braemar. Is that a record for the 23rd? It might have dropped a bit since then too. Does anyone know why the Met Office don't show live updates for Braemar? Or Kinbrace and Dalwhinnie as well?

Edited by trickydicky

Posted

snowing here in essex again 2nd day met office said rain 2nd day white stuff instead.its been snowing fairly heavey for well over an hour.

Indeed from about lunchtime it has snowed (although it was a bit sleety now and again) for about 4 hours and we have a slight re-covering of what we had yesterday which melted in the day — but the fields are all still white.

My Net weather radar has doggedly shown it as rain (blue) for the second day running now… if I were clever enough I'd post a clip of the computer screen and then pan out to the window to show the snow falling.

Why is this? The radar's always been accurate wrt precipitation type until now.