Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm not sure- perhaps it's something you could ask Paul or Karl about? Sleet/rain in Norwich, so for Norwich it's continued to be pretty good, but I'm aware that some nearby parts have had snow.

This is the 13th day out of 23 on which sleet or snow has fallen in Norwich.

Posted

What a winter it's been for low minima. Anything below -15.0c since 1995 has been the normal. This winter it seems anything below -17.0c is forgettable...even in Greater Manchester!

Certainly has and I distinctly remember the 7th Jan when temps dropped to -17C in Benson. If I remember correctly wasn't this the night when 25cm of snowfell. In my experience its amazing what this depth of snowfall can do to the min temps. I find 5cm snowfall doesn't have much effect on min temps but over 20cm certainly does!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Carol the Kirkwood said on Breakfast this morning at about 20 to 7 that it was currently (i.e at that time) -19.2 in Braemar. Is that a record for the 23rd? It might have dropped a bit since then too. Does anyone know why the Met Office don't show live updates for Braemar? Or Kinbrace and Dalwhinnie as well?

They are manual weather stations (not electronic) so are checked every 24 hours.

Posted

Nice to see my forecast was correct. Almost feels like daffodil time is approaching.

I wouldn't say warmer but less cold is a better way of describing the next few days although for Scotland they remain close to freezing.

Over the next 7 days the temps for England look to go from slightly above average to slightly below with night frosts. Beyond this and nothing in the model output suggests any mild weather. We are likely to see HP near the UK bringing slightly below average temps during the day and mins around -2/3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Getting warmer in Norwich- the first day for a while when I haven't felt cold out and about- but the weather type is the same, dull and drizzly. I have hardly seen the sun at all in the last week and a half apart from last Friday afternoon and Saturday.

Looks set to be brighter and colder possibly after the weekend.

Posted

Getting warmer in Norwich- the first day for a while when I haven't felt cold out and about- but the weather type is the same, dull and drizzly. I have hardly seen the sun at all in the last week and a half apart from last Friday afternoon and Saturday.

Looks set to be brighter and colder possibly after the weekend.

Quite the contrast to further north! Today was the first precipitation I have saw for a good 10 days! Around 7 days of continuous uninterrupted sunshine!

Edited by Mr Stewie

Posted

Very true. Indeed, that's one of the main reasons why I criticised posts saying the outlook was dull and damp and of no use- it's been the classic "southerly tracking jet" north-south split with the jet over the south bringing dull damp sleety weather, and the north seeing much brighter weather with colder nights and scattered wintry showers.

Scotland may miss out on most of the dull damp weather, seeing a fair amount of snow and maybe just a day or two of milder dull drizzly stuff before it turns bright & cold again.

Posted

After last nights snow,it stopped and didn`t turn to rain as the fog came down,havn`t seen rain for about 10 days.

Today has been a totally different day with very little sun and milder at 6.8c max and a thaw,just over half cover still,wind has been S/SE to now light east/NE and cloud has cleared so hopefully a ground frost tonight to halt the thaw 3.7c now,dewpoints are high today I reckon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

cold spell over now here in the south, very springlike today, cloudy morning sunnyish afternoon, a high of 11.0°C, spring arrived for southern areas, I will welcome it if it stays dry

Posted

I disagree with people saying winter is over for the south because March can bring decent snow events to everywhere in the country, and even April can too. Turning colder behind the low on Sunday as the colder winds dig in, possibility for some back edge snow in some areas on Sunday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

cold spell over now here in the south, very springlike today, cloudy morning sunnyish afternoon, a high of 11.0°C, spring arrived for southern areas, I will welcome it if it stays dry

Cold spell over? I wasn't aware we had had one? Not here we haven't!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So, in the next 48 hours we have potentially the biggest fall of snow for Scotland since the early 80's and where is everyone..........?

Lol, and it still misses here! It does look like the heaviest in a long while for western Scotland and I'm struggling to imagine how long the ski season is going to be after another 50+cm on the mountains in the next 36-48 hours - talk about a dying industry! Things have never looked so good for wintersports in Scotland IMO!

So, in the next 48 hours we have potentially the biggest fall of snow for Scotland since the early 80's and where is everyone..........?

I was out in it for four hours in total today; must have walked about 6 miles in total. I'm 32 and still love playing in the snow :whistling:

Fell on my backside just before tea-time though :lol:

Still snowing now, no idea how much but I would guess several inches at least.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Cold spell over? I wasn't aware we had had one? Not here we haven't!

Sorry mate, you must of upset the weather gods, most southern parts got summit.

The English, Welsh and Irish are all researching the charts to find the remotest chance of that system backtracking and the scottish are all in the regional thread or playing in it.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

bbc seem to have a mass of white for sunday, that wont happen, not showing formy area but too warm I would have thought everywhere

Posted

bbc seem to have a mass of white for sunday, that wont happen, not showing formy area but too warm I would have thought everywhere

It does look like though colder uppers will follow behind the front, so IMO there is the possibility of back edge snow or even possible snow on the LP's Northern Flank

Posted

Well it was freezing a short while snow was frozen at 2.5c now it`s gone foggy at 3.2c

Snow for sunday looks very possible anyone who thinks this cold spell over is well wide of the mark.

Less cold for a few or 2/3days.

Spring is along way off this year.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Well it was freezing a short while snow was frozen at 2.5c now it`s gone foggy at 3.2c

Snow for sunday looks very possible anyone who thinks this cold spell is well wide of the mark.

Spring is along way off this year.

yeah for you with that decent elevation, dreading all the rain sunday, but i would rather have the wind instead, rain here but winds really SE UK and france

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Spring-like here today, felt quite warm on the back of the past 3 cold-cool months!

Today's high of 11.6c was the highest since late November, shows what a long and cold Winter it was.

All the more surprisng as yesterday was Feb's coldest day (max just 3.1c).

I don't have the exact proof of this (or any proof) but I am prepared to wager every penny of what little money I do have that half of the precipitation which has fallen in my location this winter has fallen as snow. That is more a reflection of how dry it has been than any prior epic snowfalls.