Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

hi all!

there stays a snow risk for south of the meto advisorys to , where the front stalls and the intensity all not quite set ,the nights are much colder and remains the risk for snowsmile.gifdrunk.gif .

theres also more risk thursday eveningdrunk.gifcold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

hi all!

there stays a snow risk for south of the meto advisorys to , where the front stalls and the intensity all not quite set ,the nights are much colder and remains the risk for snowsmile.gifdrunk.gif .

theres also more risk thursday eveningdrunk.gifcold.gif

Looking at the Meto site the warnings for most of the SE have been removed.

Think I will stop looking now as it's too dissapointing to get my hopes up for some snow only for them to be dashed a day later :doh:.

I prefer it when it's more set in stone rather then very marginal.

Posted

I prefer it when it's more set in stone rather then very marginal.

Where's your sense of adventure? :acute:

Well so many different opinions on the models etc., I'm going to do what I always do in these cases, keep one eye on the radar and one eye to the sky! Good luck all, don't be too disappointed/ecstatic!

Posted

Well, just set a first here for me.....

Current Temp: 5.7C

Dew Point: I don't know

And it's Snowing!

I can only think dew points must be extremely low to counteract the high temp. Never actually witnessed this before in England. Many times in continental Europe but never here. :acute:

Posted

I too was expecting the warnings for most of the South East to be removed this morning. However, as others have said I agree that anyone could well see some suprise snowfall at some point this week. Someone on here yesterday mentioned the 6th January 1994. After a day of torrential rain and flooding, temperatures plunged as daylight faded (result of evaporative cooling?), turning the heavy rain to sleet, then heavy snow. Some places had up to 6 inches of snow that evening, with the worst affected areas being generally to the north and west of London, although a fair few parts of the SE had a good couple of inches of lying snow. As far as I can remember this wasn't forecast earlier in the day, and flash warnings went out on the evening BBC forecasts just as the snow started to fall. I'm not saying this will happen in the south this week, but I feel it's certainly a possibility and wouldn't be suprised to see something similar.

Posted

Make that a flurry that last about 60 seconds. :acute:

Ditto same here...though I was seeing things to begin with, but it was certainly snow albeit very light :good:

Posted

Had flurries of snow here in Harrow for the last two hours and it's still very coldyahoo.gif

I'm hoping for a little suprize snow fall like we had here in 2003 when everywhere came to a complete standstill after and hour of snow that was real fundrunk.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

theres some showery ppn heading our way from nw quite a thin line this first one , the dew points still low enough for snow to fall at a higher temp but will rise later i think.

had snow flakes at 3c !smile.gif

the meto advisorys have moved about last few days and may move again, but then it be an orange in a place that dont have a yellowbiggrin.gif

Posted

just got home from walking the dog and very fine snow grains falling. am resolved to the fact we will not get anything other than rain come Tues/Wed but will be happy if it comes as snow :good: kids on half term would enjoy the snow falling, but at least i wont have to be picking them up from school :acute:

Posted

Well, just set a first here for me.....

Current Temp: 5.7C

Dew Point: I don't know

And it's Snowing!

I can only think dew points must be extremely low to counteract the high temp.

Rough guide to current conditions:

Air temp

Rdtlmett.gif

Dew-points

Rdtlmetd.gif

Latest Satrep

ASII_20100215_1330.png

Posted

thanks for the charts coastdrinks.gif

Posted

surprised to see dew points quite low in comparison :)

Makes it a bit more interesting to see what does (or doesn't) fall from the sky later on then, I'm not putting any bets on the outcome in this region.......

Posted

cheers coast smile.gif temps feel a touch warmer than they are due to less wind today. suprised to see dew points quite low in comparison smile.gif

Yeah its thanks to the fact we still have the cold drier air from Europe over the SE corner of the UK, the front working its way down from the NW is bringing in a mild sector and that sets up for the front stalling as both airmasses 'fight' it out so to speak.

Posted

close shave from this feature for some ppn

post-11361-12662459719317_thumb.png

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

close shave from this feature for some ppn

WOW.... Heavy/moderate snow falling here in St Albans

Must be from the PPN heading in from the NW.

As I type... Huge flakes falling

Posted

ppn heading in turned a bit heavier, dont know what reading got from this?cold.gif

WOW.... Heavy/moderate snow falling here in St Albans

Must be from the PPN heading in from the NW.

As I type... Huge flakes falling

heading my waydrinks.gif (the ppn over reading heading my way)drunk.gif Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Yep and interesting a decent number of the GFS ensembles from the 06z suite bring that feature into the SE, I'd imagine it would be a very marginal set-up but may well be worth watching as well I feel...

interesting wk for most id think in all uk! Edited by nimbilus

Posted

ppn heading in turned a bit heavier, dont know what reading got from this?cold.gif

heading my waydrinks.gif (the ppn over reading heading my way)drunk.gif

Hi nimbilus, Those showers are steaming in from the West. Snow showers will be upon us soon :) :)